Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Upland, CA (under construction Jan 2024, 64 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spy photos today 🕵🏼

Edit: no actual Tesla equipment on site switchgear only
Nope they standard electrical equipment.
those look like individual single bay cabinets. Switchgear will be one large cabinet with multiple bays. For some reason they may have removed the Tesla crosshair covers and they are just Saran wrapped. If you look at the plans you can see how large the switchgear cabinets are compared to the Tesla ones and the images just don’t match switchgear but they also look to be a bit large than the normal SC cabinet. Will be interesting to see as this site moves forward.
1706246063724.png

Am I missing something on the plans or are there really zero trailer-friendly stalls?
Guessing this is geared towards M3 and MY owners without home charging and not for people towing. However, they are converting a large dirt/gravel area and this is in a parking lot do the whole east side drive aisle could be used to park a tow rig and charge providing the cables reach and curbs/sidewalk isn’t too wide (appears to be 5 ft).
1706247260651.png

those look like individual single bay cabinets. Switchgear will be one large cabinet with multiple bays. For some reason they may have removed the Tesla crosshair covers and they are just Saran wrapped. If you look at the plans you can see how large the switchgear cabinets are compared to the Tesla ones and the images just don’t match switchgear but they also look to be a bit large than the normal SC cabinet. Will be interesting to see as this site moves forward.
View attachment 1012367
I’m positive they are not the supercharger cabinets. They are the 4 cabinets placed together above the 8 v3 cabinets above.

As I stated earlier no Tesla specific equipment is on site.

I’m positive they are not the supercharger cabinets. They are the 4 cabinets placed together above the 8 v3 cabinets above.

As I stated earlier no Tesla specific equipment is on site.
I guess I always though the switchgear cabinets were one piece with multiple doors. This is from Mountain View, 32 stalls so likely same setup minus the above ground connection to the transformer. It is only 3 bays. Not 4 as pictured in these plans.
1706255258844.png

1706255334003.png

I think the reasoning for the location might be because it's almost exactly between the 210 & 10 off Monte Vista Eve exits. There's a ton of Tesla and other EV's around Claremont/Upland with just a few EVGo locations which seem to always be broken.

I guess I always though the switchgear cabinets were one piece with multiple doors. This is from Mountain View, 32 stalls so likely same setup minus the above ground connection to the transformer. It is only 3 bays. Not 4 as pictured in these plans.
It would be clumsy to ship it all as one piece, and make for a logistics nightmare instead of having a small number of a couple different sizes of cabinets with busbar kits, breaker mounting kits, etc. that one can just order from a stocking distributer instead of having the factory make a big long cabinet.
They become one piece when installed and bolted together, electrical code says they must be bonded; manufacturer, earthquake code and common sense as well.
They'll also put on a metal cap to cover each seam in the roof to keep water out.
Notice in the attachment from RubberToe via SilverSp33d3r in post #21 there's some missing sides, this is for interconnects between bays.
More clearly seen in first couple images in this post from Reno Rancharrah.
Once they had the pad done, they bolted everything together (including the internal bus bars spanning all the cabinets - hopefully properly torqued!) so it became one long piece, as first image from another post.

And thanks for the picture showing the above ground busbars from Mountain View, gives a good idea of what burned up down in San Jose.

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG

Some photos from today. I agree it's an interesting location for this, but as someone who visits the Baker in this lot now and then, I think it is quite underutilized parking-wise. There is also a decent-sized gravel plot in this parking lot next to the constructions that I would think would turn into spots.

There had to be a dozen or so trucks and dirt haulers there today.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
View attachment 1013626

View attachment 1013624

View attachment 1013625

Some photos from today. I agree it's an interesting location for this, but as someone who visits the Baker in this lot now and then, I think it is quite underutilized parking-wise. There is also a decent-sized gravel plot in this parking lot next to the constructions that I would think would turn into spots.

There had to be a dozen or so trucks and dirt haulers there today.
Going to be interesting to see the switchgear layout. Still looks like way more cabinets than they need.

Looks well underway after today’s 🕵🏼 shots. Very large construction site currently the perimeter stall bases are almost all in and plumbed even with all of the rain here.

IMG_0047.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    539.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    547.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    661.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    800 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    783.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Informative
Reactions: Acps110 and Young
Grew up in Upland. Wife and my parents are still there. We visit often from San Diego. There's a serious gap out by the Tesla service center off of campus so I totally agree that would have been a better location and I suggested to Tesla a location there near the In-n-out (as Ontario Mills is too far) - we often end up charging in Temecula'ish area which is ok but not great.

This location is barely Upland and kind of in the wrong direction of where the need is...then again, it's at least close to greasy-take out (aka Ez take out now 'EZ Burger & Grill' on Mountain/Arrow - their 4x4 salt burgers are legendary and I have 35 years of experience.... so trust me. :)
EZ Burger, and Car Wash (they are attached) is a lot like In ‘n Out. Who copied who? The food is too much alike.

IMG_1856.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: sdbonez