Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Terrace Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After calling White River ESSO worked to get confirmation of Supercharger status, I did the same for the Terrace Bay ESSO - the lady I spoke to said that construction is currently in progress at Simcoe Plaza right next to the ESSO (ESSO address: 3 Simcoe Plaza, Terrace Bay, ON P0T 2W0)
This info has been known for a while (though the address we have for it is 43 Simcoe). People used to just share info on sites in the Mid-Canada Superchargers thread since we weren't expecting to see any movement on actual construction in the then near term. Given that there's now movement on it, it's good to have its own thread though.

If you want to see which locations there is known info on, you can check out the crowd sourced map at supercharge.info

This info has been known for a while (though the address we have for it is 43 Simcoe). People used to just share info on sites in the Mid-Canada Superchargers thread since we weren't expecting to see any movement on actual construction in the then near term. Given that there's now movement on it, it's good to have its own thread though.

If you want to see which locations there is known info on, you can check out the crowd sourced map at supercharge.info

Good to know, thanks! I actually tried calling three gas stations in Nipigon (ESSO, Husky, and PetroCan) because I was trying to guess at a likely location (PetroCan has CCS/Chademo charging installed but not yet activated), will try calling the tourist information center tomorrow since that is listed on the map as the location in Nipigon

Good to know, thanks! I actually tried calling three gas stations in Nipigon (ESSO, Husky, and PetroCan) because I was trying to guess at a likely location (PetroCan has CCS/Chademo charging installed but not yet activated), will try calling the tourist information center tomorrow since that is listed on the map as the location in Nipigon
Can you also ask when they’re planning to start construction in Nipigon or if they have already? If they have, that will probably mean the other two (Terrace Bay, White River) are under construction.

If you could also call XTR gas station in Upsala see if they got anything. Along with the convenience store down the road, it seems like a plausible location.

In the Google Street View photo Roy Pizzaria &Subs is 41 simcoe plaza. I suspect 43 simcoe to be the adjacent land space to the right of the building.

FE103232-2E0B-41E5-89E7-779549045B2E.jpeg

EC6D04C4-4335-445E-B6D4-DF9E0271E263.jpeg

AAB7A5FC-7636-4503-8DDE-715733F9AE9E.jpeg

Since you mentioned being in White River, How often do you drive up in that area?

Can you also ask when they’re planning to start construction in Nipigon or if they have already? If they have, that will probably mean the other two (Terrace Bay, White River) are under construction.
(...)

Just called the tourist information center in Nipigon, which is listed as the location on supercharge.info - the fellow I spoke to said they had expected to get something but nothing is going on at the moment so he's not sure what the status is. That may mean the construction crew hasn't gotten there yet - he knew about the chargers at PetroCan, so I imagine he would have known if they were digging elsewhere.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Already done :) permitted at Voyageur Pump, see Eastern Canada thread

Fantastic!

That just leaves Kenora and Thunder Bay to check in on. Thunder Bay might be a challenge since it’s a fairly big area for possible locations. It’s really nice to see the dots filling in. All of these locations need the ground work done before Freeze up. Frost goes down very deep in many of those locations.

Update: there is an extremely detailed plan including schematics of the Terrace Bay installation at https://terracebay.civicweb.net/document/12941/Regular Council - 07 Aug 2018.pdf - I haven't had time to review it in detail myself but I think there will be a lot of interest material and detail for others to glean. It covers every find detail of the Terrace Bay installation, including power requirements and construction methods. It's definitely a six-bay charger, and it's at 43 Simcoe in the spot @DMC5180 highlighted.

Update: there is an extremely detailed plan including schematics of the Terrace Bay installation at https://terracebay.civicweb.net/document/12941/Regular Council - 07 Aug 2018.pdf - I haven't had time to review it in detail myself but I think there will be a lot of interest material and detail for others to glean. It covers every find detail of the Terrace Bay installation, including power requirements and construction methods. It's definitely a six-bay charger, and it's at 43 Simcoe in the spot @DMC5180 highlighted.
Some interesting points:
- 6 parking spots with 3 dedicated to supercharging and 3 that will have superchargers but can be used by non Tesla cars for up to 15 minutes
- 15 year lease (initial 5 years with 2 additional 5 year options)
- lease is $1000/year for the first 5 years

Reading that it shows ever station as only being ~146 Kwdc and shared???? V2 superchargerView attachment 450977
I could double-quote for both posts, but you’ll probably see this one.

The permit is from 2018 (February?), long before Tesla announced V3 to the public, because the Trans-Canada kept on being pushed back year after year. 2018 was the year Tesla was destined to build the stretch (reason for all the permit findings that year). Anyway, it obviously got backed up another year. This year, Elon introduced V3 Supercharging, and that must have the go-ahead for the Trans-Canada buildout this year. Since all new TC sites are V3 so far, why not this one?

For more info on the Terrace Bay permit, I’d redirect you to the 2nd post (by @mociaf9).

• Helpful
Reactions: 204EV
Any existing V2 permitted sites would have need to start the permit process over again with new V3 site plans. This was talked about shortly after the V3 announcement. Elon stated any existing permitted sites would not get upgraded. But the majority of New site designs would be V3 on the major travel routes. I expect the I-94 corridor thru North Dakota will remain V2 since those Permits have been in place for a while.

Any existing V2 permitted sites would have need to start the permit process over again with new V3 site plans. This was talked about shortly after the V3 announcement. Elon stated any existing permitted sites would not get upgraded. But the majority of New site designs would be V3 on the major travel routes. I expect the I-94 corridor thru North Dakota will remain V2 since those Permits have been in place for a while.
I went through a bylaw variance process when getting a major renovation done on my house in southern Ontario, and the plans submitted during the bylaw variance process were not binding and were intended to illustrate the overall idea behind the work. Getting the building permit itself was a separate process which occurred after bylaw variance and was disconnected from it - the inclusion of these diagrams in this council document would have been a precursor to the actual building permit being issued (they were trying to get the town onboard with the idea). All of the diagrams have notes on them stating they are not for construction use - if I'm guessing, I'm guessing these will not be forced into V2s as some may be in the US since the process can differ so significantly between provinces and states.

No dice in Upsala, nobody that I spoke to is aware of any electric charging anywhere in town.

They don’t have any yet, but that doesn’t mean its not coming.

From the looks of it there is no town to speak of, just a township. The only viable location seems like the Upsala Family Restaurant/ XTR. +1 807-986-2389 There is a General Store 0.3 km down the road.

Also, I was looking at Thunder bay. It seems like the most logical location would be in the parking lot of the shopping mall complex on Dawson Rd (102) & HWY 17 intersection. Ont 102 is a more direct short cut going East &West than HWY 17 further to the south.

Question, why do you refer to your electric service utility as hydro? In the states hydro is short for hydraulic . Referring to fluid flow, water, oil, etc.

Last edited: