Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Strasburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need to keep an eye out for the transformer...the power companies are the long pole in the tent. The Ann Arbor SC has been finished and waiting for the power company to do their work. One you see the transformer, you will know the grand opening is just around the corner....

I dropped by after a long day of flying gliders at the nearby Front Royal airport. It really is a pretty location! Pictures don't do it justice. It's on the crest of a steep hill with mountains in the distance. Very nice.

Seems like a nice location for its intended purpose, too. Arby's, Denny's, Burger King, McDonald's, 7-11 all in easy walking distance, plus some local pizza joint. It's right off the interstate and the road configuration is pretty easy. It's just two miles or so from the I-66 interchange, so it'll not only serve north/south travel, but also south/east and north/east.

Here's my contribution to the collection of pictures.

IMG_3372.jpg

What do you think are the prospects of a supercharger along I-66 that is more practical if you are visiting Shenandoah National Park/Skyline drive from the DC area? This Super Charger location seems great for those traveling down I-81 but seems a bit too out of the way for Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive, probably one of the best and most scenic EV drives in the US.

What do you think are the prospects of a supercharger along I-66 that is more practical if you are visiting Shenandoah National Park/Skyline drive from the DC area? This Super Charger location seems great for those traveling down I-81 but seems a bit too out of the way for Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive, probably one of the best and most scenic EV drives in the US.
Strasburg is basically on I-66 and only 83 miles from Bethesda. I don't expect they will build any superchargers in between in the near future. If you get on Skyline at Front Royal, it is going to be about 182 miles to the supercharger at the other end of Skyline at Staunton. Plus, its only 11 miles to the Strasburg supercharger from the Front Royal exit on I-66, if you feel anxious about the mountain driving.

Strasburg is basically on I-66 and only 83 miles from Bethesda. I don't expect they will build any superchargers in between in the near future. If you get on Skyline at Front Royal, it is going to be about 182 miles to the supercharger at the other end of Skyline at Staunton. Plus, its only 11 miles to the Strasburg supercharger from the Front Royal exit on I-66, if you feel anxious about the mountain driving.

I agree. This SC is close enough for skyline drive.

Front Royal to Afton via the Skyline is only 105 miles. From there to Staunton is maybe another 15 - 20 miles depending on where they put the SC there. Even with the mountains/elevation changes, this is an easy drive (once these SCs are working).

This is kind of dumb and pointless, but I can't resist.

I did some aerial reconnaissance yesterday. I didn't get too close, and I was just using an iPhone, so you can't even really see the thing. But it's a pretty picture!

The supercharger is about in the middle of the picture. I'm including a cropped version with the Denny's circled. The supercharger is just to the right of the Denny's from the direction this picture was taken.

cropped.jpeg
IMG_3460.jpg