Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St George, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently what I witnessed were said SpC cabinets (not xformers), soz! How do you owners deal with inquisitive, curious commonfolk who talk you up about your newfangled battery-powered sports car? I guess a 20-minute charge time gives ample opportunities to edgumucate!

Transformer is in! No meter but it's looking really close to being done.
tuha9yna.jpg
enabyze2.jpg
tany7u8y.jpg
yhudujub.jpg
u9a3usu7.jpg
jytaguvy.jpg
7upupysy.jpg
asupyvyd.jpg

That is awesome! Thank you for the pictures. The probability that I will be by St George now is very low (I live 1500 miles away by Supercharger route) but I am tickled pink to see it nearly done. Also, I feel almost knowledgeable :) after seeing that the equipment went in where I thought it would go in.

tuha9yna.jpg
enabyze2.jpg
tany7u8y.jpg
yhudujub.jpg
u9a3usu7.jpg
jytaguvy.jpg
7upupysy.jpg
asupyvyd.jpg

Thanks for posting these clear photo's.

The first photo shows a green cabinet. On top of that green cabinet, in the center you see "ABB". That must be the Switerland based company that produces all kinds of charging applications for EV's. But maybe someone else knows more about it than I do. I could be mistaken.

Thanks for posting these clear photo's.

The first photo shows a green cabinet. On top of that green cabinet, in the center you see "ABB". That must be the Switerland based company that produces all kinds of charging applications for EV's. But maybe someone else knows more about it than I do. I could be mistaken.

Yes, but ABB (from ASEA and Brown Boveri) produces far more than EV stuff. It's a vaguely similar sort of company to GE, in terms of its business interests related to "electricity", and about half the size in terms of employees (150,000 vs 300,000).

Our businesses | ABB

They sell a lot of transformers: Transformers | ABB

A number of Supercharger installations I've noticed have had ABB transformers, but not all.

(I have no connection at all to ABB, I've just always been interested in electric traction; one of the things ABB produces is electric traction converters for trains.)

Yes, but ABB (from ASEA and Brown Boveri) produces far more than EV stuff. It's a vaguely similar sort of company to GE, in terms of its business interests related to "electricity", and about half the size in terms of employees (150,000 vs 300,000).

Our businesses | ABB

They sell a lot of transformers: Transformers | ABB

A number of Supercharger installations I've noticed have had ABB transformers, but not all.

(I have no connection at all to ABB, I've just always been interested in electric traction; one of the things ABB produces is electric traction converters for trains.)

The transformers are usually supplied by the local utility, not Tesla. Notice the size is 300 kVA. This matches well the maximum power requirements for for two Gen II Supercharger Cabinets. The Gen II Supercharge Cabinets put out 135 kW DC max, but due to AC->DC conversion efficiency, need about 150 kW AC in to do that. Superchargers present nearly a resistive load to the grid, and have a load factor that is almost 1, so 2x150kW is a perfect match to a 300 kVA transformer.

The transformers are usually supplied by the local utility, not Tesla. Notice the size is 300 kVA. This matches well the maximum power requirements for for two Gen II Supercharger Cabinets. The Gen II Supercharge Cabinets put out 135 kW DC max, but due to AC->DC conversion efficiency, need about 150 kW AC in to do that. Superchargers present nearly a resistive load to the grid, and have a load factor that is almost 1, so 2x150kW is a perfect match to a 300 kVA transformer.

Interesting.

Also interesting: they have clearly sized this for four charging stalls, with no room for expansion. Some of the Supercharger installations have space in the equipment "shed" and, presumably, oversized transformers, to allow for relatively easy later expansion.

Interesting.

Also interesting: they have clearly sized this for four charging stalls, with no room for expansion. Some of the Supercharger installations have space in the equipment "shed" and, presumably, oversized transformers, to allow for relatively easy later expansion.
Also interesting that the utility looks to have repurposed an old transformer. Many of the Supercharger installations look like they have received new transformers.

I stopped by the SC location today during a marathon drive from Park City UT to Los Angeles (721 miles), with the fantasy hope that somehow they might have finished by now. I have attached photos. The fellow working on the site gave me a "thumbs up" for driving a Model S. He said that their plan is to finish all construction and begin testing "by the end of next week" i.e. August 15th. If no problems, it would go live immediately thereafter.

Although disappointed that the SC was not operational, I could hardly say I was surprised given the excellent photos that so many others have posted lately. I continued down the I-15 and made the Beaver to Las Vegas trek with 32 Rated Miles to spare. There were stiff headwinds for the first half of my journey, and I didn't realize that the steep downhill portion was south of St. George, so I become alarmed at my wH/mile being consumed and slowed to 60 mph. Once I had travelled 30-40 miles south of St. George it became obvious that I had nothing to fear, and I was able to speed up considerably.

I share in the remarks others have made wondering why it was located so far from the I-15.

IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG

Last edited: