Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Shelby, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla hates canada/usa border unless it's all the way on the east or west coast
Well yes it kind of seems that way. In all fairness the canada/usa border has been closed for over a year now, so that might be why it seems low priority. Let's hope that the border opens up again soon and maybe Tesla will take a second look at this location.

Tesla hates canada/usa border unless it's all the way on the east or west coast
Are there sites that show the number of people that cross at each Canada/USA border? Meaning, I am wondering if there is a significant number of more crossings on the East or West coast and you need to follow the statistical usage. Don't get me wrong I'd be happy with one in Shelby MT as it would complete a nice loop.

ex33BZu.jpg

Well yes it kind of seems that way. In all fairness the canada/usa border has been closed for over a year now, so that might be why it seems low priority. Let's hope that the border opens up again soon and maybe Tesla will take a second look at this location.
In all fairness, the sales people at Tesla said these superchargers were "imminent" back in 2015 when I started looking at the Model X.

Are there sites that show the number of people that cross at each Canada/USA border? Meaning, I am wondering if there is a significant number of more crossings on the East or West coast and you need to follow the statistical usage. Don't get me wrong I'd be happy with one in Shelby MT as it would complete a nice loop.

ex33BZu.jpg
Here’s the border crossing data site from the US DOT: Workbook: Border Crossing Data

You can choose the Canada-USA border and desired time period. Busiest crossings are Detroit, MI, Buffalo/Niagara, NY, and Blaine, WA.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200

ex33BZu.jpg
Watertown, SD and Grand Forks, ND are both on I-29 and started construction this week. Maybe Pembina, ND will be next and add another possible route into Canada.

I doubt we'll ever go through Pembina, but Shelby would be a welcome addition as we've been waiting years to do a road trip through MT to AB and BC.

Watertown, SD and Grand Forks, ND are both on I-29 and started construction this week. Maybe Pembina, ND will be next and add another possible route into Canada.

I doubt we'll ever go through Pembina, but Shelby would be a welcome addition as we've been waiting years to do a road trip through MT to AB and BC.
I've been through Pembina. No person wants to :)

I did BC just a couple of years back solo and plan on taking my wife ASAP (she couldn't get off work before). It was fantastic and I've been thru the mountains of MT and CO a few times. Depending on your car you can make it see below (driving reasonable speed too). Below is sweetgrass border I think which is popular per the link just recently provided in this thread.

1kqyYSD.jpg

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

ex33BZu.jpg
I think 4 crossings are possible. Superchargers at Okanogan, WA (US 97) and Colville, WA (WA 25) would help span the distance to/from Canada at two crossings and provide 119 mi connection between both locations via WA 20. Ideally SC at Sandpoint, ID; Libby, MT; and Brownings, MT would support other latitude crossings and longitude movement on US 2.

1624899662237.png

• Informative
FWIW, @GenSao since 2015 I’ve been through Blaine, Eastport (US-95), Porthill (ID-1), Osoyoos (US-97), Lynden (WA-539), and Sumas (WA-9). The border agent in Eastport nearly wet himself after seeing the Tesla. When the border opens I’ll probably next try Laurier, Frontier, Nelway or Danville (friends there). It’s always a fun road trip adventure, but worth the trip, even without superchargers.

I did BC just a couple of years back solo and plan on taking my wife ASAP (she couldn't get off work before). It was fantastic and I've been thru the mountains of MT and CO a few times. Depending on your car you can make it see below (driving reasonable speed too). Below is sweetgrass border I think which is popular per the link just recently provided in this thread.

1kqyYSD.jpg
I drove from Great Falls to Fort MacLeod early August. I started at 100% (2018 Model 3 Long Range). I had to reduce my speed to 75 mph (speed limit was 80 mph). Made it through the border and my destination with 19% left. I suppose I can do 80 mph but I didn’t want to chance it. The whole time I wish there was a SC at Shelby. On the way back, I stopped at a Lethbridge destination charger (Peavy Hardware) at 6 kW/h (Level 2) to “top up” so I can drive slight above speed limit in Montana. This is definitely not ideal.

I think 4 crossings are possible. Superchargers at Okanogan, WA (US 97) and Colville, WA (WA 25) would help span the distance to/from Canada at two crossings and provide 119 mi connection between both locations via WA 20. Ideally SC at Sandpoint, ID; Libby, MT; and Brownings, MT would support other latitude crossings and longitude movement on US 2.

View attachment 678827
I'd love for a supercharger in Bonner's Ferry, ID!

Shelby just doesn’t seem to be a priority for the Tesla SC team… Also Conrad was supposed to be part of the expansion. There are so many Albertans who drive down to Phoenix, Palm Springs, and Las Vegas in the winter this would be so great for us. I’ve also been told this SC route would be available “soon” when I bought my P85D in 2014 sigh.
I never heard anything about Conrad. Definitely don't think they would put one there if they are putting one in Shelby. I would think they would just do one or the other. Shelby would be preferable since it's along US-2. Maybe you'll get another one near the border. Probably one in Lethbridge eventually.

• Helpful