Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sault Ste Marie, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the time you hit Kenora
You don't want to see no more-a
Rocks & trees, trees & rocks

- From the song "Rocks and Trees" by Wendell Ferguson
There-in being the rub since at that point you've still got another 1 hour + of rock and trees before you break free of the swamp just East of Winnipeg.....to then have your mind and soul crushed by the hours upon hours of wide open space of the prairies. ;)

<edit>

"Clean, Mr. Clean, was from some South Bronx shithole. The light and space of Vietnam really put the zap on his head." - 'Apocalypse Now' quote that runs through my head every time I visit home

It works both ways, too. Having grown up on the prairies, it took me years to fully mentally adjust to going extended periods not seeing the full 180 degrees of sky above horizon.

Last edited:
[
Isn't the TCH an undivided highway with crossroads in that area, though? I don't like the idea of getting in a head-on collision with someone that has dozed off.

Fatalities happen on this undivided highway more often than not. And when someone is killed, they close the highway for most part of a day, so one should probably plan for the unplanned and allow extra time.

Getting closer!

Attachments

• D97E06E4-755E-4627-964F-2A167F431FC1.jpeg
    D97E06E4-755E-4627-964F-2A167F431FC1.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 205
  • D1190FEE-4CD9-4365-972B-C6D8EFB652B8.jpeg
    D1190FEE-4CD9-4365-972B-C6D8EFB652B8.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 185
  • D77F11CD-D685-4CFC-A23E-CA6C9D4C5D37.jpeg
    D77F11CD-D685-4CFC-A23E-CA6C9D4C5D37.jpeg
    761.9 KB · Views: 559
  • FE048D1E-B036-48DD-8F78-ADDE9D1F337E.jpeg
    FE048D1E-B036-48DD-8F78-ADDE9D1F337E.jpeg
    669.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 99624FD4-89D5-4629-A595-F826D83D6903.jpeg
    99624FD4-89D5-4629-A595-F826D83D6903.jpeg
    689.7 KB · Views: 198
Hmmm part II - why does it have a date of 5/22/2018 on it? No matter how you interpret the numbers, that is May of last year. 14 months ago.
Just thinking out loud, but I'll bet that is V2 hardware.
There are likely a few stories to tell here.
None of that is "Tesla" gear. Just semi-generic electrical stuff. The tall ones are part of the switchgear, and not really appreciably different from those used at V2 locations. The smaller ones are autotransformers (buck-boost transformers), maybe slightly modified from the form used at V2 locations.

Wondering (Planning) if this site will be open by the 3rd week in October :)

via: 2018 Fall Foliage Map & Nationwide Peak Leaf Forecast
DAK0gBv.jpg

Likewise, I'll be passing through here in mid October. I *really* hope it's open by then, but every day and every week that passes sinks my hope a bit. I've made the trip along the TCH before and I can do it again if this and all the other SuperChargers under construction aren't ready by then. But it sure would make the trip nicer if they were.

By the way, does anyone know why all the DC fast chargers that the Ontario gov't is funding via Petro Canada, Canadian Tire, et all, seem to have made no progress in build out over the past six months? How hard can it be to build a charge site? I've seen entire gas stations go up more quickly that these.

By the way, does anyone know why all the DC fast chargers that the Ontario gov't is funding via Petro Canada, Canadian Tire, et all, seem to have made no progress in build out over the past six months? How hard can it be to build a charge site? I've seen entire gas stations go up more quickly that these.

The Ontario government has nothing to do with it. The Federal government is loaning 50% of the costs. A year or more unfortunately seems to be the norm for these projects. Petro-Canada sites are starting to pop-up, though.

The Ontario government has nothing to do with it. The Federal government is loaning 50% of the costs. A year or more unfortunately seems to be the norm for these projects. Petro-Canada sites are starting to pop-up, though.

Duh, you're correct. If I'd thought about it, I might have realized Ontario wouldn't be funding chargers in Manitoba, etc.

The only new ones I've seen pop up have been in QC and NS, and I think most of those were already in place when I first heard about it back in the spring. What new ones have you seen in the past month or so?