Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rockland, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think @kayak1 meant to charge a Tesla at a magic dock enabled supercharger with magic dock + the Tesla CCS1 adapters (usually used to charge a Tesla at Electrify America, EVGo, etc)

Anyway, besides the fact that people with NACS adapters and Plug and Charge will want to use their adapter for Plug and Charge, NACS port cars are coming and they'll need to use the Tesla plug. So Magic Dock stations will be NACS compatible.

What's happening at Rockland? In the app it's offline, yesterday it was offline for a while and then went back on line. It's also not in Tesla's navigation system. I'm planning on going to Camden on Saturday, was counting on using Rockland but if it's not up I'll have to do a deep charge in Portland.

What's happening at Rockland? In the app it's offline, yesterday it was offline for a while and then went back on line. It's also not in Tesla's navigation system. I'm planning on going to Camden on Saturday, was counting on using Rockland but if it's not up I'll have to do a deep charge in Portland.
Ughhh... no idea. After it went live and was up for a number of days straight I stopped watching it. Many newly opened sites go through growing pains - I'm really hoping that's what's going on and it stabilizes VERY QUICKLY.

If the SC isn’t working, the three high power destination chargers at Lyman-Morse in Camden can help a lot. They’re 80 amps. I have charged at 72 A there several times (2018 X). There are/were several nice restaurants on that side of the harbor.

Also the store at Lincolville Center has a good destination charger. The market has excellent food, both ready and cooked to order. It is several notches better than most small markets. Seating available.

Last edited:
If the SC isn’t working, the three high power destination chargers at Lyman-Morse in Camden can help a lot. They’re 80 amps. I have charged at 72 A there several times (2018 X). There are/were several nice restaurants on that side of the harbor.

Also the store at Lincolville Center has a good destination charger. The market has excellent food, both ready and cooked to order. It is several notches better than most small markets. Seating available.
For any CCS compatible Teslas there are also some CCS chargers in Brunswick and Belfast, and there should, theoretically at least, be a bunch of other NEVI chargers, desirably with NACS, along US-1 within a year.

Reactions: kayak1
For any CCS compatible Teslas there are also some CCS chargers in Brunswick and Belfast, and there should, theoretically at least, be a bunch of other NEVI chargers, desirably with NACS, along US-1 within a year.
Plugshare shows a couple of CCS chargers that are under construction, the only working ones close to Freeport which has a Supercharger. Also those chargers are pretty much useless, 62.5KW.
I just got the chargeport upgrade for my Model 3 on the theory that it would allow me to go some places, I was thinking Cape Breton in Canada, which don't have Superchargers yet. The reality is that you would have to be insane to rely on CCS. The chargers in places that don't have Superchargers are all singles with sad charging rates, 50-62KW. You can't count on CCS chargers to work especially when there is only one at a site.

BTW now the app is showing 2 of 8 stalls working, however it also says temporary closure. Hope it's working by Saturday but I'm not going to rely on it. Will do our usual thing which is get takeout Dim Sum from Empire and then eat it at the Portland Supercharger while we charge to 90%. On the way home we will stop at Freeport, it's not crowded late at night when we are heading home.

Plugshare shows a couple of CCS chargers that are under construction, the only working ones close to Freeport which has a Supercharger. Also those chargers are pretty much useless, 62.5KW.
I just got the chargeport upgrade for my Model 3 on the theory that it would allow me to go some places, I was thinking Cape Breton in Canada, which don't have Superchargers yet. The reality is that you would have to be insane to rely on CCS. The chargers in places that don't have Superchargers are all singles with sad charging rates, 50-62KW. You can't count on CCS chargers to work especially when there is only one at a site.
Please don’t call Cape Breton’s chargers “pretty much useless “. I towed my travel trailer all over Nova Scotia last fall, mostly using my 50 amp Chademo.

Reactions: TFCooper3
Tuesday, April 2nd
10:00 a.m.
The interesting part of that:

The five NEVI-funded chargers are among a bank of eight new Tesla charging stations located in the parking lot of the Hannaford in Rockland.

Are the 5 NEVI funded stalls labeled to differentiate them from the other 3? (Since they should get preferential treatment for power allocation, should the site be full.)

The interesting part of that:

Are the 5 NEVI funded stalls labeled to differentiate them from the other 3? (Since they should get preferential treatment for power allocation, should the site be full.)
I wasn’t aware of any differentiation, except one was a more spacious handicapped space. They all appeared casually to have magic docks and not have different signage.

I will drop by end of next week.

I wasn’t aware of any differentiation, except one was a more spacious handicapped space.
The NEVI funded posts are guaranteed to always be able to deliver 150kW. So, if there are 5 vehicles requesting 150kW, or more, on the NEVI funded posts the three remaining posts will only have ~10kW available to share across all three non-NEVI posts. (At this point that should be a really rare occurrence.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer
It would be very interesting to learn if Tesla actually has internal post prioritization abilities to guarantee power levels to specific posts, depriving others. It's all software controlled, so I supposed Tesla could do it if they wanted (or were required) to. I don't think it would make any sense though to specifically mark NEVI posts as "special".

Reactions: kayak1
It would be very interesting to learn if Tesla actually has internal post prioritization abilities to guarantee power levels to specific posts, depriving others. It's all software controlled, so I supposed Tesla could do it if they wanted (or were required) to.
They do, it is one of the three ways they can make installs with V3 charging cabinets NEVI compliant: (So they are required to do it, since they only have ~760kW of power available to share across all 8 posts.)

I don't think it would make any sense though to specifically mark NEVI posts as "special".
Well, I would always want to pick a NEVI funded post, so that someone else plugging in when the site gets full can't essentially stop my charging.

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer
Isn’t Rockland 250 kw, so the 150kw spec irrelevant?

Also the transformer says 1000kva.

IMG_1742.jpeg

Last edited:
Isn’t Rockland 250 kw, so the 150kw spec irrelevant?

Also the transformer says 1000kva.

View attachment 1033502
Yes and no. It is 250kW max per post, but if they are all in use at once there is only ~95kW available power post. So to meet NEVI requirements they have to allocate more to NEVI funded posts.

Transformer size is irrelevant, since V3 cabinets are only capable of ~380kW each. And there is normally only 1 cabinet per 4 posts.