Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Provo, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tubing is buried and new concrete slabs have been put in.

Attachments

• IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
Thank you for these weekly updates. I couldn't send my first child that went to Provo with a Tesla because there was not a supercharger there. She was only in Utah 1-year before transferring to the University of Georgia to attend a more conservative school than the one in Provo. My 2nd child wants to try the Utah experience too. If the supercharger is done, then I will send her in a Tesla, so please keep the updates coming as we only have one more week to make the decision.

I still wonder why Utah has been so slow to get Super Chargers.

Thank you for these weekly updates. I couldn't send my first child that went to Provo with a Tesla because there was not a supercharger there. She was only in Utah 1-year before transferring to the University of Georgia to attend a more conservative school than the one in Provo. My 2nd child wants to try the Utah experience too. If the supercharger is done, then I will send her in a Tesla, so please keep the updates coming as we only have one more week to make the decision.

There's plenty of Level 2 chargers in the area and this Supercharger should be online this year, so I wouldn't worry about sending her in a Tesla. Especially if she will spend most of her time between Salt Lake and Provo and won't be using very much of the battery each day.

There's plenty of Level 2 chargers in the area and this Supercharger should be online this year, so I wouldn't worry about sending her in a Tesla. Especially if she will spend most of her time between Salt Lake and Provo and won't be using very much of the battery each day.
Yep. If you have a solid L2, no need to worry. I’ve had my MY 2 years now and and the only time I’ve supercharged in the valley was right after I picked it up. I stopped in Draper just to try it out, I was excited Ya know.

Reactions: BagheeraNY
…to attend a more conservative school than the one in Provo…
There’s a more conservative school than the one in Provo?

I know it says you’re not supposed to use an extension cord, but a high quality one with the mobile charger always worked for me. Many light poles in dorm parking lots will trickle charge in a pinch.

Reactions: camthehombre

Besides numerous Level 2 charging options in Provo, newer Teslas with a CCS adapter should be able to use the CCS DCFC stations.

You can find CCS stations on Plugshare. The four stalls at the Provo airport are reported to charge only 11¢ per kWh. They are on the Chargepoint network. (I consider a Chargepoint account and access card standard equipment for any EV.) For newcomers, I suggest practicing on CCS stations near home to get an idea how it works.

If those options aren't appealing, the Draper Supercharger Station isn't all that far away. A 90% charge there ought to allow a lot of driving around Provo before needing to charge again.

I suppose all this will be moot once the Provo Supercharger Station opens in the near future.

As to why Utah has been slow to get Superchargers, the area has been pretty well covered for road tripping for years. Getting from Draper to Price, Nephi, or Tremonton is quite easy. Locals tend to charge at home. Some of us oldtimers remember when there was a single Supercharger Station in Salt Lake City at the Service Center. Things are way better now.

Reactions: Utahken and KJD
Thank you for the help...

I use the charging network all the time as I travel for work. My newest 2023 Tesla that I purchased just a few months ago already has 12k miles mostly charged at Super Chargers, or several other vendors including Charge Point. There are no L2 Chargers at her condo in Provo, and I don't want her to have to sit around for very long at L2 Chargers as the crime rate at remote charges continues to increase. We have the adaptor for non-Tesla charges, but I don't want to make the process very hard for her. So for me, a Super Charger is the only way to go and I don't want to force her to drive to SLC just to obtain a quick 15-minute charge.

Yes, Provo as an area is still about as conservative as the deep south, but the school has changed from the time we went there 20+ years ago.