Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger protocol for diy CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CAN -formatted conversation between the SuperCharger and the S is NOT CHAdeMO. There are aspects of the interface that transcend the capabilities of CHAdeMO. There is now a team of owners/engineers that are logging these conversations. Analysis is just beginning, and this is a long-term effort. If you'd like to know more, please PM me so we can have a private conversation.

Was there anymore learned here? I'm very interested in connecting an existing 480v/200A DC source to the Tesla for supercharging like capabilities. Right now my best option is the implement level 3 CHadEMO with the official adapter, but that isn't elegant or clean.

Was there anymore learned here? I'm very interested in connecting an existing 480v/200A DC source to the Tesla for supercharging like capabilities. Right now my best option is the implement level 3 CHadEMO with the official adapter, but that isn't elegant or clean.
It may not be elegant or inexpensive, but it is fully specified in publicly available documents. A direct to the battery CHAdeMO implementation was done for the RAV4 EV without any support from Toyota or Tesla. You would be doing the opposite side (charger side instead of vehicle side) but the protocol is the same. The challenge would be the current control at 125A, which is the maximum for current CHAdeMO implementations, including Tesla's.

This link is dead now.

I'm trying to learn more about the low-level details of the different DC charging protocols (CHAdeMO, Tesla, CCS).

Does anyone remember what this document was? Was it a copy of some normally paywall protected standards doc or something else? Any idea if it is still available elsewhere via a different link?

Thanks!

It was a legit document. I no longer have a copy. There was more learned, but they took it off the board and did the work via email privately.

I didn't have time to help out and I lost contact. PM the original people who were getting good data and making good posts. They were friendly when I spoke with them last.

You folks may enjoy this paper:
Losing the Car Keys:
Wireless PHY-Layer Insecurity in EV Charging Richard Baker and Ivan Martinovic, University of Oxford

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/sec19-baker.pdf

EOnxr0zWkAERSMb.jpeg

Your home charge station does not use CAN messaging, nor does the UMC. The very first step to enable the CAN messaging is the short duty cycle of the 1kHz pulse width, which signals the car for digital communication. The only charge station that will use this short pulse width is the Supercharger.

Duty Cycle --- Max Current
< 3% ------------ Error
3% - 7% ------- Digitial Com Required <--- this is what Supercharger sends the car
10% - 96% ----- 6A - 80A <---- this is what the UMC, any J1772 station, or HPC/HPWC sends the car
>96 --------------- Error
Hey Tony,
I was wondering if you have any input.
I was thinking about adding a tesla charge port to my Kia Niro EV and then spoofing MY tesla handshake using my tesla own tesla's supercharging account.

Can this be done ?
I really want to do this..

nlc: Thanks for quick reply. Your thoughts on the data likely to be very interesting to all. Thanks for all the excellent work.

Something I forgot to mention: the signal level on Pilot during the digital stream seems to be 0 to +5V. I didn't have a scope, but was measuring the high level at about 0.7V on the Fluke. The thermometer presentation seemed to go a little higher. There's no 120VAC near the charger, and I don't have a 12V->120V inverter.

Is there anyone else who wants to play in this sandbox? If so, please PM me. It's hard work, but worth the effort. :)
I was wondering if you have any input.
I was thinking about adding a tesla charge port to my Kia Niro EV and then spoofing MY tesla handshake using my tesla own tesla's supercharging account.

Can this be done ?
I really want to do this..