Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the M3 will be here in a few years with a potentially order of magnitude more sales than the S and X, planning to go big is wise.

Plus, for the life of me I will never understand why there is no Superchargers at the nexus of I-95, PA Turnpike, Route 1 in Langhorne, Lower Bucks county. There's plenty of potential locations. There are two large shopping malls (Oxford Valley and Neshaminy) plus numerous other shopping center locations with huge parking lots.

Well thats primarily an east west route, as 95 doesn't really go anywhere north of there. For East-West its to close to Hamilton to make any sense. And of course 276 and 95 don't yet have an interchange because... PA??

Well thats primarily an east west route, as 95 doesn't really go anywhere north of there. For East-West its to close to Hamilton to make any sense. And of course 276 and 95 don't yet have an interchange because... PA??

I wouldn't say 95 doesn't go anywhere north, unless you just mean it's broken around PA/NJ. They're been saying for years they're going to connect the turnpike and 95, but I think they're actually getting close to starting work to do it.

Otherwise, 95 goes all the way to Canada through New England.

EDIT - haven't been out this end of the turnpike in a long time. Looks like construction has started and 95/turnpike interchange is on track to become a reality!

https://www.patpconstruction.com/paturnpikei95/current-sectiond10.aspx

Last edited:
20151227_184047.jpg

The expansion can't come soon enough

A two car wait is better than the 10 car wait I saw on the NJTP... for gas pumps!

Better is a relative term. ;)

I see it all the time when I go up/down the NE corridor (and I used to stand in those lines too!), and my wife and I were trying to do mental math last weekend, and if the line is very long on the NJTP it's about even with SpCing and no wait time.

10 car wait at the pumps, each "row" has 2 pumps that are operational typically, let's assume it takes 5minutes to wait for the attendant to get to you, fill your car, and give you your receipt so you can drive off. So that's 25minutes and you're off.

If there is no wait, I can SpC in 25minutes to get to my next SpC. But a 2 car wait in front of me, would add probably another 25-30minutes...

Better is a relative term. ;)

I see it all the time when I go up/down the NE corridor (and I used to stand in those lines too!), and my wife and I were trying to do mental math last weekend, and if the line is very long on the NJTP it's about even with SpCing and no wait time.

10 car wait at the pumps, each "row" has 2 pumps that are operational typically, let's assume it takes 5minutes to wait for the attendant to get to you, fill your car, and give you your receipt so you can drive off. So that's 25minutes and you're off.

If there is no wait, I can SpC in 25minutes to get to my next SpC. But a 2 car wait in front of me, would add probably another 25-30minutes...

The other key difference is choice. Despite making the run from DC to NYC at least twice a year, every year, the last time I stopped for gas on the NJTP was...1998? I think this was probably also the first time I stopped for gas on the NJTP.

I never understood why people stop for gas on the NJTP... it's always 10-20% more expensive than basically anywhere else. Just fill up before you get on the TP. It's not a long enough road for anyone to NEED to fill up there. Any ICE vehicle could make it from end to end and back again on a full tank (about 240 miles round trip) and definitely from one end to the other (~120 miles) without ever stopping ON the turnpike. *scratches head*

I personally have only ever bought gas on the NJTP way back (like, over 10 years ago now...) when gas prices quickly jumped like +$1 over the period of a few days, and the NJTP stations are only allowed to change their prices based on some schedule and formula which kept them ~$0.50 lower than everywhere else for a few days. The lines were quite ridiculous during the day, but I passed through around 3AM and they weren't too bad, so, worth the $10 savings vs other stations.

The PA turnpike on the other hand is super long, so can understand gas stops for convenience purposes.

Last edited:
I dunno, from what I remember NJTP has reasonable gas prices, or at least it did when we drove an ICE not too long ago. DE was more expensive than the NJTP, and so was filling up in MD or NY. It's also along the highway, so it's convenient.

We used to get gas between DE and NJ, before the turnpike starts (exit 1?), but I know they closed that gas station about a year ago (it was cheaper than getting gas on the NJTP, and didn't have to get on/off the NJTP to fillup)

I never understood why people stop for gas on the NJTP... it's always 10-20% more expensive than basically anywhere else. Just fill up before you get on the TP

I drive A LOT between NYC and Phila (my folks live there), and in my experience over the last five years or so, the NJTP gas prices are surprisingly competitive to local NJ gas prices, and still much less than prices in any of the surrounding states (NY, PA, DE, CT).

I never understood why people stop for gas on the NJTP... it's always 10-20% more expensive than basically anywhere else. Just fill up before you get on the TP. It's not a long enough road for anyone to NEED to fill up there. Any ICE vehicle could make it from end to end and back again on a full tank (about 240 miles round trip) and definitely from one end to the other (~120 miles) without ever stopping ON the turnpike. *scratches head*

Because the PA Turnpike gas is SOOOO much more expensive than any station in NJ. So us PeeAhh's hit the first gas station we can when we get to NJ!

I hate buying gas in NJ. There is almost no amount of cost savings that would make it worth it to me. In fact, as a general matter, I will buy gas in NYC rather than in NJ, given the choice.

Favorite NJ gas story--I pull up to the pump. Pump jockey puts pump in car, sets the handle, walks away. Gas spews out of car, all over side of car. Pump jockey accuses me of having a defective car.

Um, dude? I successfully operate the gas pump all the time in VA, in this very same car, ALL BY MYSELF. And guess what? Have never done that.

I hate buying gas in NJ. There is almost no amount of cost savings that would make it worth it to me. In fact, as a general matter, I will buy gas in NYC rather than in NJ, given the choice.

Favorite NJ gas story--I pull up to the pump. Pump jockey puts pump in car, sets the handle, walks away. Gas spews out of car, all over side of car. Pump jockey accuses me of having a defective car.

Having spent my youth in New Jersey, and buying gas thousands of times in NJ since, your experience is the rare outlier. I've never had a problem like that at any NJ filling station. That was most likely a defective gas pump handle, which could happen at any filling station in any state.