Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Vernon, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is awesome news. One of my only concerns buying the Tesla was a trip that I make to visit my sister in Quincy, IL once or twice a year. Without a charger in Mt. Vernon, I was going to have to go Indy-Campaign-Springfield which is pretty far out of the way. I'm sure the SC won't be done this year, but I should only have to take the long route once or twice before it opens.

Why do you think that? The article said "They will build it ... we're hoping it's complete sometime this fall."

There is plenty of time to get it built this year.

I hope they do. I just see a lot of SCs on Supercharge.info that are in permitting for 100+ days then take months to construct. Let's just say I am predicting they don't get it done by the end of the year, but I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Thanks! I think this makes Louisville,KY to St Louis doable without having to head north to Indianapolis first

It looks like this leg is going to be to long to attempt in a Classic 60, and would be on the very edge of whats possible in a base model 3 or Model S 60d. Hopefully they eventually add in one more station between these two, it would make the trip easy in any Tesla.

It is 180 miles from the Louisville SC to the proposed Mt. Vernon SC. I would only be able to make it in my 60D under ideal circumstances (no A/C or heat, driving 65, little wind).
I think we'll eventually see another Supercharger near the intersection of I-64 and I-69. When, though, is anybody's guess.

In the mean time, Mt Vernon is a welcome addition, and Plugshare finds 16 locations within 6mi of that route. I'm having trouble viewing them at the moment, so I don't know how helpful they are, like if any are CHAdeMO or if they're all J1772.

Reactions: Tree95
I think we'll eventually see another Supercharger near the intersection of I-64 and I-69. When, though, is anybody's guess.
Yeah, the Evansville exit is a prime location, but it is probably low priority. Mt. Vernon was good because it got major thoroughfares going E-W and N-S. I-69 is such a hot mess through KY and IN that it doesn't really justify a N-S supercharger while an SC is needed there for the I-64 E-W corridor.

There are destination chargers in French Lick and Evansville, but both of those cities are pretty far from the interstate.

Yeah, the Evansville exit is a prime location, but it is probably low priority. Mt. Vernon was good because it got major thoroughfares going E-W and N-S. I-69 is such a hot mess through KY and IN that it doesn't really justify a N-S supercharger while an SC is needed there for the I-64 E-W corridor.

There are destination chargers in French Lick and Evansville, but both of those cities are pretty far from the interstate.

The intersection's issue seems more to be that there's nothing much there. There are a number of places like that, which is probably why Tesla has begun negotiating with gas station chains.

Plugshare finds 16 locations within 6mi of that route. I'm having trouble viewing them at the moment, so I don't know how helpful they are, like if any are CHAdeMO or if they're all J1772.
Turns out most of those are too near either end to be helpful, but there's a 14-50 at Lynnville Park (link), which is almost exactly the halfway point between Louisville and Mt Vernon. 50A charging is not the same as Supercharging, of course, but a 30-60min stop there would be far better than re-routing through Indianapolis.

The intersection's issue seems more to be that there's nothing much there. There are a number of places like that, which is probably why Tesla has begun negotiating with gas station chains.

There is a campground / park near the I64 and Evansville Exit that has Nema14-50 plugs.
This makes for a nice stop to top up for an Hr. or two to give any of our MS60's owners the margin
to make it between Louisville and the soon to be Mt. Vernon SC or between Louisville and St. Louis.
Even MS85 / P85's or MS90's traveling between Louisville and St. Louis will need to stop here until the
Mt. Vernon SC is active.

This location is in PlugShare
Lynnville Park ( City Park )
Ports - Wall Outlet (120v), Nema 14-50
Custom Ports - 39 sites with 14-50 ( 50 Amp ) plugs.

Address
1.5 miles West of Lynnville, In on Highway 68
Phone
(812) 922-5144
Cost
$2.00 to $7.00 depending on how long you stay on the plug

Description
Park manager said you can charge up for an hr. or two for $2.00 or all day for $7.00 as long as there were open sites. Mid week, place was empty. If park manager is not at check in gate just use the Honor System and put your payment in envelope and leave in check in shack. Great place for a top up if traveling between Louisville and Saint Louis Some of the breakers pop after a while charging at the 40 AMP rate ( old breakers ) , if this happens, try a different site / pedestal if there are other open spots, if not reduce charge rate to 35 amps..
Hope this helps until there is a SC between Mt. Vernon and Louisville.
You can check out the Parks Web site at Lynnville Park Campground - Lynnville, IN - RV Park Reviews

Hank MS85

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
It looks like this leg is going to be to long to attempt in a Classic 60, and would be on the very edge of whats possible in a base model 3 or Model S 60d. Hopefully they eventually add in one more station between these two, it would make the trip easy in any Tesla.

I think it would make sense to locate a SC near the intersection of I-64 and I-69. That is not served by many amenities but a few miles west is the intersection of US 41 (Dixie highway) and I-64 which has three truck stops with fast food, motels and a few other restaurants nearby. That is 80 miles from Mt Vernon,IL, and 115 mi from Louisville, KY. Also 98 to Terre Haute, 126 to Clarksville, TN and 150 (via I-69) to Indy. All well within the range of the 60's.

• Informative
There is a campground / park near the I64 and Evansville Exit that has Nema14-50 plugs.
<more details

Useful info for Tesla owners (thanks!) but I was specifically writing about Tesla identifying and agree a suitable Supercharger location near the intersection. It's easy for people to say that another one is needed, but finding a suitable host location near the intersection is a different matter. (Even if you had two locations in the area, you want one near the intersection to satisfy all directions of travel along Interstates. The ironic cost problem is that where there's an Intersection of 2 Interstates, if they can't site a Supercharger near the intersection, they may need _three_ sites to satisfy journeys using all directions of travel.)

Anyway, here are my usual Supercharger stats:

Interstates: I-57, I-64
US Numbers Highway: None

I-57:
To: Effingham, IL - 146 miles
Diversion: 1.8 miles

I-64:
To: Louisville, KY - 195 miles
Diversion: 1 mile

Good location in terms of network coverage:
- Will complete I-57 with maximum gap 119 miles
- 1 of the 2 required to split the start of I-64 and Louisville, KY.

Also worth noting:
- The distance from Rolla, MO is a little too much at 183 miles
- I-55 Miner, MO to Springfield, IL is a too much at 238 miles.
- Either is doable with a diversion to St Charles, MO but to me they point to Tesla having an eye on the South County Center mall in Mehlville, MO.

Last edited: