Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I found a miss utility dig ticket for installing electrical service on behalf of Tesla at the Harvest Foods supermarket a block or two off I-90 on the peninsula in Moses Lake: ticket # 19337730. That led me to an active L&I electrical permit for work described as installing "Tesla car battery chargers." The permit, EP3257928, also shows that inspections of some conduit work have already taken place and there will be 8 stalls.

What: New 8 stall supercharger under construction at the Harvest Foods supermarket off I-90 in Moses Lake.
Address: 2709 W Broadway Ave, Moses Lake, WA 98837

GPS: 47.103505, -119.310203

Supercharger- Moses Lake, WA_LNI permit description.JPG

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

Oh gosh, I really was hoping Ritzville was expanding!
I think the construction of this supercharger makes that less likely. Ritzville and Ellensburg are no longer necessary once we have Moses Lake and Spokane up and running. Seattle (or Issaquah)/Cle Elum/Moses Lake/Spokane are all spaced about 100 miles apart. North Bend will help too, but that one is more to help people who are travelling from outside the Seattle area to Eastern WA avoid the Seattle traffic imo.

It’s great to have more in-fill SCs, and this one will surely be a V3. I will use this one on trips north through Omak to Osoyoos, BC. However, Ritzville and Ellensburg are at the intersection of major highways which lead to the largest populations in the region (Seattle to Salt Lake City and Portland to Spokane). Those two locations we’re built first for that very reason. Those two sites need expansion and upgrades, just like The Dalles and other early builds such as Corning and Mt Shasta, CA). Yes, Seattle to Spokane travelers will greatly benefit from an 8-stall V3, especially those with newer cars, and I’m very happy to see these extra in-fills, especially if they pull more users away from Ellensburg and Ritzville.

Reactions: Potpourri
Thanks. As for the map thing... If you tilt your head and squint the right way, you might think that the grey pin currently on Ritzville was for this location. Or maybe not, who knows.

So , how were you able to find info on this permit? What led you to that location?

I'm still trying to figure out how we can find a public record for a charger install in Thunder Bay, ON

So , how were you able to find info on this permit? What led you to that location?

I'm still trying to figure out how we can find a public record for a charger install in Thunder Bay, ON
  1. I searched the One Call digging notification and utilities locating requests in Washington state for tickets opened for excavation work on behalf of Tesla during the period from 2019-01-01 to today.
  2. Looked at the results for those tickets that made sense as potential superchargers, as opposed to things like residential solar/other work by Tesla Energy, or jobs for other companies/people with Tesla in their name, etc.
  3. The tickets list the addresses for the digging, so, for relevant tickets, I determined which jurisdiction would issue any relevant building/electrical permits and searched to see whether those jurisdictions publicly reported "applied for" or issued permits and/or made them searchable via the internet.
  4. Since I knew Washington state has an additional statewide permitting system for most electrical work, I also searched WA's L&I database for electrical work at those addresses.

As far as I know, very little of the method I used in this case is applicable to Canadian locations as I don't think they use these types of databases. At least, in all the threads I've read on Canadian locations no one has ever mentioned using them to find one or track progress. It's relatively common for US locations.

I think the construction of this supercharger makes that less likely. Ritzville and Ellensburg are no longer necessary once we have Moses Lake and Spokane up and running. Seattle (or Issaquah)/Cle Elum/Moses Lake/Spokane are all spaced about 100 miles apart. North Bend will help too, but that one is more to help people who are travelling from outside the Seattle area to Eastern WA avoid the Seattle traffic imo.

Which makes me sad. I like the Starbucks within safe waking distance of the Ritzville one. I also like that it’s midway between Tri Cities and Spokane, anyone going that route would be more likely to stop there just to use the restroom/grab a drink. This is a great supercharger location for like a 10 minute opportunity charge and then keep going. I wouldn’t expect a V3 here but another two or four stalls would be very nice. I doubt the Spokane area will have much effect on the Ritzville one... I’m mean I’m shocked that Ellensberg stays so busy with Cle Elum now, but Ellensburg has a Starbucks right next to it...

I know plenty of people dislike Starbucks, but they seem like the perfect 10-15 minutes time killer locations. Usually pretty good (or at least decent when busy) bathrooms, light snacks, and pretty good and consistent drinks. Starbucks and Tesla really should partner up where possible... though I guess a lot of Starbucks locations probably have limited parking...

1. I searched the One Call digging notification and utilities locating requests in Washington state for tickets opened for excavation work on behalf of Tesla during the period from 2019-01-01 to today.
  2. Looked at the results for those tickets that made sense as potential superchargers, as opposed to things like residential solar/other work by Tesla Energy, or jobs for other companies/people with Tesla in their name, etc.
  3. The tickets list the addresses for the digging, so, for relevant tickets, I determined which jurisdiction would issue any relevant building/electrical permits and searched to see whether those jurisdictions publicly reported "applied for" or issued permits and/or made them searchable via the internet.
  4. Since I knew Washington state has an additional statewide permitting system for most electrical work, I also searched WA's L&I database for electrical work at those addresses.
As far as I know, very little of the method I used in this case is applicable to Canadian locations as I don't think they use these types of databases. At least, in all the threads I've read on Canadian locations no one has ever mentioned using them to find one or track progress. It's relatively common for US locations.

Very interesting, you're quite the detective. Any chance you can pull that off for Montana and the rest of the I-94 buildout to Billings.

Very interesting, you're quite the detective. Any chance you can pull that off for Montana and the rest of the I-94 buildout to Billings.
I already looked for potentially relevant utility locator notifications in Montana when I did Washington's. No dice. In the past, I've tried to search Montana's building permits database (I think it's all run by the state instead of local jurisdictions), but it really sucks so I don't bother anymore.

Moses Lake, WA

Along Primary Interstates: I-90
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-90

To: Ritzville, WA - 46.1 miles
Diversion: 1.1 miles
To: Spokane, WA - 96.9 miles

More I-90 density.

I think the construction of this supercharger makes that less likely. Ritzville and Ellensburg are no longer necessary once we have Moses Lake and Spokane up and running.

I think you're forgetting about southern traffic. Until we get Yakima, southern traffic especially is a really really long stretch from TriCities to Cle Elum in an SR+. ABRP puts an SR+ from Kennewick to CleElum limited to 62mph if you leave Kennewick at 80%. That makes Ellensburg almost essential to South Eastern Washington drivers.

Ditto with TriCities -> Spokane which is impossible without Ritzville or add 50% travel time by going through Moses Lake. I think both are still pretty important connectors and still will see a high priority upgrade. Especially Ellensburg which connects I-84 to I-90 and connects Washington to Denver and Las Vegas.

Last edited:
I think you're forgetting about southern traffic. Until we get Yakima, southern traffic especially is a really really long stretch from TriCities to Cle Elum in an SR+. ABRP puts an SR+ from Kennewick to CleElum limited to 62mph if you leave Kennewick at 80%. That makes Ellensburg almost essential to South Eastern Washington drivers.

Ditto with TriCities -> Spokane which is impossible without Ritzville or add 50% travel time by going through Moses Lake. I think both are still pretty important connectors and still will see a high priority upgrade. Especially Ellensburg which connects I-84 to I-90 and connects Washington to Denver and Las Vegas.

Ya, we REALLY need a Yakima charger.

I actually think Tri Cities to Spokane is doable on one charge (maybe not during winter though) if doing the speed limit. With the Spokane charger you won’t have to roll into downtown with like 15% or less battery either... BUT, Ritzville is a much more natural stopping point since it’s almost midway and has McDonald’s and Starbucks. I figure Ritzville will continue being 50% full most day time hours and maybe 75%+ or more on non-holiday peak travel hours. Even two more stalls could go a long way to make sure waiting doesn’t happen there... but if they were to invest that much effort they really should just double the size.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
Or a charger that is twice as fast.

I think some of these are waiting on v3 and whatever the hold up is there for development.

They were the first so it lends itself to the conclusion they are the most strategic locations. Therefore they are the most important to be refreshed and not with nearly obsolete solutions when we are so close to v3. (hopefully)

Fill in the gaps with v2 for the long haul like Spokane or Moses Lake and then reinforce the original foundation with v3.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I know plenty of people dislike Starbucks,
You know when you go camping with a group, and people are roasting marshmallows over the campfire? There are sometimes one or two people who use this special technique of roasting their marshmallows, where they shove it right down there into the coals and catch the thing completely on fire. And then they rotate the stick a bit with the marshmallow completely engulfed in flames so that it gets charred and blackened and burnt all over. You've seen people do that, right?

I don't get why so many people like the taste of coffee that used that technique to roast the beans.

You know when you go camping with a group, and people are roasting marshmallows over the campfire? There are sometimes one or two people who use this special technique of roasting their marshmallows, where they shove it right down there into the coals and catch the thing completely on fire. And then they rotate the stick a bit with the marshmallow completely engulfed in flames so that it gets charred and blackened and burnt all over. You've seen people do that, right?

I don't get why so many people like the taste of coffee that used that technique to roast the beans.

I actually don't always get the coffee. A nice iced or hot tea or Chai keeps me happy a lot. I just think it makes for a great stop point at Supercharger stations. It has some food options that while not healthier than McDonalds or something at least "acts" like they're better then a fast food burger. Has some treats like cookies and stuff if you're not really hungry but just want a treat. Has decent drinks. The biggest thing though is that it's pretty consistent all around. You don't have to visit that location before to figure out what they'll have or if there is a clean restroom to use, or if they're closed on a Sunday because it's a mom and pop shop. They have an app that you can look at menu items a head of time and hours, they usually have pretty long hours (usually at least 6am to 7pm but often like 4am to 9pm at many locations) and eat up about 10 minutes pretty perfectly. It's easy to extend that to 20 minutes if you're able to sit down and relax for a little bit, but it doesn't require a full on sit down a a table and order off a menu which is probably going to be a 30 min or more stop even if you just want a cup of coffee and cookie or pie or something.