Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Malibu, CA (Cross Creek Rd., LIVE 17 Dec 2020, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

I’ve just been informed by @zackmilo that Malibu’s 2nd Supercharger is now under construction at Malibu Village in a collaboration with Electrify America. 8 stalls, V3

Zack on Twitter

67ACEB9F-D3F7-40F3-9BE9-CF10420A5142.jpeg
947D026E-D933-4D1F-A82F-D2DF9A785D39.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So interesting, considering the Whole Foods less than a mile away has superchargers as well
I mean, yeah, it technically does. But there's a pretty big difference in designed use case between a supercharger with only 5 urban stalls--which is really meant for local users without access to home/work charging--and this one with 8 V3 stalls--which is much more geared towards through travel on PCH.

I mean, yeah, it technically does. But there's a pretty big difference in designed use case between a supercharger with only 5 urban stalls--which is really meant for local users without access to home/work charging--and this one with 8 V3 stalls--which is much more geared towards through travel on PCH.
Ah yes I forgot they were urban chargers. Good call!

Walked over to this new site while charging nearby. @zackmilo there is no transformer installed yet so the site doesn’t have power. See the empty pad on the left side of my photo below. It could be weeks before the local utility gets around to installing it. No way to tell how long it will take.

View attachment 611162
How the heck did I miss that? It’ll be soon hopefully.

I’m puzzled by the Electrify America chargers at this site. Three charging spaces. One has a 150kW CCS and 50kWCHAdeMO. The other two have 2 150kW CCS chargers each. I don’t understand how one charging space can use two CCS charging cables. Hmm...maybe I should have looked at the CCS cables more carefully; are there two different plug types?

AB197454-857A-4905-9A6B-CD9C1E4DBA00.jpeg

I’m puzzled by the Electrify America chargers at this site. Three charging spaces. One has a 150kW CCS and 50kWCHAdeMO. The other two have 2 150kW CCS chargers each. I don’t understand how one charging space can use two CCS charging cables. Hmm...maybe I should have looked at the CCS cables more carefully; are there two different plug types?
Most EA stalls have identical redundant CCS cables. Only one car can be charged at a time for each pedestal.

View attachment 611164
Nope, there's really 2 identical CCS plugs on those. The official answer for why some are dual CCS is so that they can easily serve cars with CCS ports in any location on the car. Don't need to worry that different makes put the charging ports on different sides or at different ends of the car, one of the cables will always reach. They could have achieved this with longer cables but those cost more upfront and have additional maintenance issues as they get damaged more frequently. Of course, there's also my unofficial opinion that the goal was to restrict the entire station to a single CHAdeMO plug and thereby significantly advantage/benefit EV brands that use CCS, like VW, and that the official explanation is just a semi-plausible excuse.

Lots of discussion of this the threads on EA chargers: Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?