Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The type label says 210 A max continuous at 410 V output, so that's 86100 W.

Yes, this is slightly odd as we've seen cars at other sites charging >210A, and also 410V is the max (at which charging will be a much slower rate), with the typical being more like 375V. 375V @ 210A is a bit under 80kW.

This particular site is limited to a single car, so is probably a candidate for the 9-way rather than 12-way stacks that were mentioned as being options. I first thought this was low for the expected 90kW, but we are talking output power not input and need to account for efficiency. Tesla quote a charger efficiency (for the car) of 92% so 90kW * 92% = 82.8kW which fits with these figures.

BTW, driving at 80 mph would still be a bit faster, including the additional charging time, as long as the charging power is 51 kW or more. As far as I can tell based on some tables matching the Model S graph.

Driving at 70 mph is still faster (than driving slower), charging time included, for charging powers above 45 kW.

However, of course, the energy consumed always increases with higher speed.

Hmm, are the Superchargers slower than advertised? Dr. Computer's experience is:

1) Harris Ranch: 50% to 75% SOC in about 50 minutes
2) Fort Tejon: 25% to 75% SOC in about 45 minutes

At Fort Tejon, I would have thought the 50% charge (from 25% to 75%) would have taken only the promised 30 minutes, not 45. Does this mean we only get the 50% charge in 30 minutes when starting with an almost completely discharged car? A 50% increase in time to charge (30 minutes to 45 minutes) is not insignificant.

Last edited:
First I thought the one at Harris Ranch might be limited by available power. However apparently it started charging at 300 mph. So the numbers seem inconsistent. I wouldn't expect it to simply stop at 75%, but maybe that's what it did. (EDIT: It seems in Gilroy it went to about 88%).

- - - Updated - - -

A possible explanation might be that when coming to Gilroy, on 101, the battery temperature wasn't as high, but later, after driving for a long time on Hwy 5, it had a higher temperature, at which it limits to 75%. Probably not exactly that, but perhaps of that sort.

Last edited:
I think this is the second reported LA/SF Supercharger trip (after the official launch): (using all 7 seats)

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk
Doing LA to SF road trip in Model S with all 5 kids & Talulah. Supercharger finished charging b4 we finished our burgers!

A6QhenjCQAEMjLu.jpg

I think this is the second reported LA/SF Supercharger trip (after the official launch): (using all 7 seats)
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk
Doing LA to SF road trip in Model S with all 5 kids & Talulah. Supercharger finished charging b4 we finished our burgers!

It's the using all 7 seats out on public roads which is the significant bit, a first as far as I know, and a topic for a different thread.