Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Handicap Space

Can I park here?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrTaras

R254->R725->S->X->M3->M3P-->R2020?
Dec 2, 2007
Woodland Hills, CA
2EC59EA4-D223-486D-B7DA-15B8ABE106A5.jpeg
This is in Westlake Village, California. Can I park here?

Yes, if you have handicap plates or placard. No, if you do not. So, I could answer your poll as both yes and no. The poll needs to be more specific.
If I only could figure out how to edit it; sorry.
If you do NOT have a handicap placard but WILL be charging, can you park here?
Also, if you DO have a handicap placard but are NOT charging, can you park here?
Thanx, iT O:)

Since all handicapped parking spots carry a fine and violating the Supercharger rules does not, the handicapped parking signs trumps.

I had gotten annoyed at the local Nissan dealer for my 5 years of Leaf ownership. They combined one of their two L2 charging spots with handicapped parking and would always tell me to ignore the sign and park there. “If you want me to park there to use the L2 charging station, move the handicapped parking somewhere else.”I would park right next to that and block the drive to one of their service bays instead of illegally parking in the handicapped spot.

There's a similar stall like that in Winnemucca. I would avoid using it unless the other stalls are all occupied. If I did have to consider using the spot, I would definitely stay with the car. I know some would try to argue that if they are charging, then they aren't parking.

Businesses are required, by law, to allocate a certain percentage of their parking spaces to handicap parking. So businesses see this as a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone: EV charge spot & handicap parking. I’ve seen many locations that do this. The irony is that the handicap spot becomes the furthest spot from the entrance of the business, so no handicapped driver would ever park there. The Kingman supercharger is a perfect example of this.

So my question is this. Would a roving patrol car swing thru a parking lot to look for someone violating the handicap law? Or is it up to the proprietor to call the cops?

Some Blink chargers in Long Beach have a stall assigned for handicap. Smartly, the sign clearly explains that those stalls should only be used by non-handicapped if the rest are taken. Not exactly the same situation, but not a bad reference for better signage.

Since all handicapped parking spots carry a fine and violating the Supercharger rules does not, the handicapped parking signs trumps.

I had gotten annoyed at the local Nissan dealer for my 5 years of Leaf ownership. They combined one of their two L2 charging spots with handicapped parking and would always tell me to ignore the sign and park there. “If you want me to park there to use the L2 charging station, move the handicapped parking somewhere else.”I would park right next to that and block the drive to one of their service bays instead of illegally parking in the handicapped spot.
Concur that I'd also be annoyed with that Nissan Dealer! Ugh! @swaltner

There's a similar stall like that in Winnemucca. I would avoid using it unless the other stalls are all occupied. If I did have to consider using the spot, I would definitely stay with the car. I know some would try to argue that if they are charging, then they aren't parking.
Here in CA even if you are in a handicapped parking space, even for 5 seconds, you can be ticketed @MorrisonHiker

Businesses are required, by law, to allocate a certain percentage of their parking spaces to handicap parking. So businesses see this as a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone: EV charge spot & handicap parking. I’ve seen many locations that do this. The irony is that the handicap spot becomes the furthest spot from the entrance of the business, so no handicapped driver would ever park there. The Kingman supercharger is a perfect example of this.

So my question is this. Would a roving patrol car swing thru a parking lot to look for someone violating the handicap law? Or is it up to the proprietor to call the cops?
@rhumbliner there's always the question of first is it illegal, then questions of morality, then questions of the chances of being caught. We all have a different calculus on the latter 2 (which is why I speed) but was wondering about the legality of #1 & am convinced now that to park in that spot is illegal without a handicap placard/license plate. That being said, I concur its not cool to put those handicap spaces so far from the storefront. Not sure if that's in the law (ADA?)?

Some Blink chargers in Long Beach have a stall assigned for handicap. Smartly, the sign clearly explains that those stalls should only be used by non-handicapped if the rest are taken. Not exactly the same situation, but not a bad reference for better signage.
@Vinc yes, I have seen that too and that signage is better. I still wonder, tho, if putting up a sign like that trumps the law? Still looking for a citation of the law that would allow that. #sticklerForDetails O:)

In Charlotte NC at my local Publix, they have EV Charging in a handicap space. I asked the store manager if I could charge there despite not having a handicap placard and he said yes. Thought it was crappy of them to put the charger in this space as it is more important for a handicapped person to park close than it is for me to charge while shopping. I elected not to park there for this reason.

In Charlotte NC at my local Publix, they have EV Charging in a handicap space. I asked the store manager if I could charge there despite not having a handicap placard and he said yes. Thought it was crappy of them to put the charger in this space as it is more important for a handicapped person to park close than it is for me to charge while shopping. I elected not to park there for this reason.
@Randy7fx the store manager (at least in CA) has no ability to overide the law, even on private property. Its sad that he said yes as someone will take him up on that offer and that will be the day that a handicap person is looking to park there and a cop is rolling through and when the charging car owner comes out to plead his case with the manager's approval, my guess will be the police officer will say, "explain it to the judge!" :-/

At one of the Orlando superchargers, there is one handicap spot. Only one other spot was free. Had that other spot not been free, I would have used the handicapped spot and stayed with my car in case someone needed it, or another spot free'd up. Maybe that's still illegal in some areas, but I need that charge that bad. Here in Alabama, the local Whole Foods has a handicap charge spot, and it's frequently ICE'd along with all of the other EV spots.

Those handicap spots are just intended for being close to a store. Some people need more space when getting out of their car and cannot have a car parked on that side. For example, having to set up a wheelchair.

Reactions: goldengate