Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at work, two spots, one "EV Handicap Accessible"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am allowed to charge at work for free. It is one charger with two 6kwh plugs. One is a regular "EV only" parking spot while the other is an "EV Handicap Accessible" spot. This is a huge business and I have never seen anyone at the charger but I assume customers would like to use it or have used it. So I only charge for a few hours in the morning and then move my car. I would love to let it charge more, but I feel like I am hogging it since it is just one regular parking space.

My question is this, can other EVs use the handicap plug without a sticker? I could even park my car there for my charge duration and let customers use the other non-handicapped spot. There are plenty of other handicapped parking spaces that are closer as well.

P.S. no other employees have EVs

Perhaps best use would have you taking up the non-handicap charging slot if both are empty. If only the Handicapped accessable slot is open, you could use it, but perhaps display your cell # in case a handicapped person needs access.

Even consider using the handicapped spot only if necessary, but not when it is simply convenient.

• Helpful
Reactions: buckets0fun
Treat the parking as if you drove a ICE car.

Would you park at a handicap spot knowing you have a chance of being ticketed/ towed ?

Alternative logic - if you are able to stand or be close by your car while charging in handicap parking that should be ok IMO. BUT once you walk away you are accepting the risk as it is NOT your manager/work responsibility. Because remember disability folks would like to charge as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
I looked it up and it seems like this is my answer...

"If it says handicapped parking only you need a valid placard or license plate. If it says accessible then it means it's double wide and it's free for all."
Take a picture if you can, helps everyone to visualize it. So, you're saying it is double-wide to allow wheelchairs to be loaded, unloaded?

As my mom was disabled, and needed a wheelchair to move about, I was able to get a placard, and those double-wide spots to allow wheelchair loading and unloading was very useful.

IMG_0053.jpeg

Here we are at the hospital. All of these spots in this row are meant for handicapped, that's why there's no curbing, to allow easy access for wheelchairs. The unintended consequence is you get numbnuts who park on the sidewalk. Even worse is this particular numbnut who is also blocking the double-wide spot, and has no handicap tag or placard. This is the local hospital, so there's no confusion that the people who use these spots probably really need these spots. I can't believe how stupid some people are.

Oh, my Tesla is on the other side of this stupid pickup. Should have used Summon! I have in the past, when the weather isn't nice. I actually did the hospital parking lot mapping, since it's one-way and I wanted the car to come under the awning in front of the hospital for loading. Used OpenStreetMap.

I am very hesitant to park there and I won't unless the regular one is taken.

I have tested the spots next to the EV-designated ones and the cord is long enough to charge from them as well. So that is another option when those spaces are open.

Take a picture if you can, helps everyone to visualize it. So, you're saying it is double-wide to allow wheelchairs to be loaded, unloaded?

As my mom was disabled, and needed a wheelchair to move about, I was able to get a placard, and those double-wide spots to allow wheelchair loading and unloading was very useful.

View attachment 912771
Here we are at the hospital. All of these spots in this row are meant for handicapped, that's why there's no curbing, to allow easy access for wheelchairs. The unintended consequence is you get numbnuts who park on the sidewalk. Even worse is this particular numbnut who is also blocking the double-wide spot, and has no handicap tag or placard. This is the local hospital, so there's no confusion that the people who use these spots probably really need these spots. I can't believe how stupid some people are.

Oh, my Tesla is on the other side of this stupid pickup. Should have used Summon! I have in the past, when the weather isn't nice. I actually did the hospital parking lot mapping, since it's one-way and I wanted the car to come under the awning in front of the hospital for loading. Used OpenStreetMap.
Yes, it is one full space and then another half. ADA ACCESSIBLE is what the sign says.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
My question is this, can other EVs use the handicap plug without a sticker?
Yes, go ahead and park there and charge all day long. Tell the court when you challenge your ticket that nobody you know that has a valid disabled permit owns an EV so you should be able to park there. By law, anyone that has a handicapped permit can park there even if they don't have an EV and they don't work there.

• Funny
Reactions: WhtLghtning