Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fort Stockton EDC I think in Fort Stockton the Economic Development Council is first chair over the C of C.

While I'm not saying that local EDC involvement in the opening is impossible, it's worth keeping in mind that this is West Texas oilfield country where local government has significant commercial ties to the oil industry. For instance, the mayor of the neighboring town to the north, Monahans, owns an independent oil and gas company. Pecos County has been getting into solar and wind on the county level, but I'm sure this would ruffle at least some feathers (not that I care).

Last edited:
Does it really take that long to get them turned on?
I'm taking a trip to Big Bend on October 5th and was kinda hoping the Fort Stockton supercharger would be up by then.
Depends on the utility. It took over a month for the recent one in Houston to receive power. Once the utility hookup is complete, the “commissioning” by Tesla usually happens within a day or two.

While I'm not saying that local EDC involvement in the opening is impossible, it's worth keeping in mind that this is West Texas oilfield country where local government has significant commercial ties to the oil industry. For instance, the mayor of the neighboring town to the north, Monahans, owns an independent oil and gas company. Pecos County has been getting into solar and wind on the county level, but I'm sure this would ruffle at least some feathers (not that I care).

At bare minimum, the Chamber, which handles ribbon cuttings, will be made aware of the potential for an event.
Presumably, the Tesla SC rep will produce a date once it is known/firm.
Whether the Chamber chooses to participate is of course up to them.
My expectation is that they will, assuming that the Flying J is already a member.

In any case, time will tell. There are a few steps yet, not the least of which will be the final Tesla certification. Just a matter of how much notice we get.

My *hope* is that any ribbon cutting will occur on a Saturday, so that more people can attend both that (and the associated Golden Spike Merriment, of course) and any subsequent gathering for food and beverage and such.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS and TexasDuke
Graffi: naval aviator perhaps? If so, thank you for your service!
If you detour through Fort Davis you can charge at my place or the Hotel Limpia if you wish.

Fort Stockton EDC I think in Fort Stockton the Economic Development Council is first chair over the C of C.

kk7p: I've reported uncommanded SC slowing at Ozona and Junction several times. If anyone else experiences this, please call the SC people.

Perhaps I did not speak to the right people, but in my experience the SC project in FD was supported only by the FJ people and the Best Western manager.

Anyway, I'm ready for a celebration!

Thank you Charlie for your kind offer, but I will plan my departure such that I can nap along the way while Supercharging and maybe some other naps so I can arrive in the late afternoon/evening so after a good overnight hotel sleep I am ready for 10 days of 10 hours of training per day.

I am a Navy Vet, and an Aviator, but not a naval Aviator, but a civilian one. I may visit the NAS, but most of my time will be spent using the winds at the beach. Attached is a sample video of what I will be doing.

I just hope the Fort Stockton Supercharger is online and operating prior to this trip.

• Informative
Reactions: GaryW and Dr. J
As someone who is obviously quite familiar with the area, I can with confidence say that local reaction is going to be ambivalent at best. Not that it matters.
Not to worry... we are bringing weapons to fend off the west Texas oil-vampires when the sun sets.... A golden spike through the heart should work.

Something to go by at West Texas SCs:

upload_2018-9-9_21-44-12.jpeg