Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Angelo and Carlsbad? Not Interstate but an alternative until TADA weakens/disappears. Another practical side is that I'm not interested in traveling in places that can be dangerous to my family's or my health. charliepmayer's comment about getting hurt may be a little tongue-in-cheek but my comment is serious.

Plugshare shows Balmorhea City Hall as a place to charge on NEMA 14-50 if we find ourselves unable to make Van Horn from Ozona. Some comments show a parking charge, others say free. Anyone have experience? We expect to be passing through this area during the night when we make this trip in early July heading home.

• Love
Reactions: beej
Plugshare shows Balmorhea City Hall as a place to charge on NEMA 14-50 if we find ourselves unable to make Van Horn from Ozona. Some comments show a parking charge, others say free. Anyone have experience? We expect to be passing through this area during the night when we make this trip in early July heading home.
Haha, there are several with experience, all of them different. The city hall office is open 8-5 M-F. If they are there, then you go in and gamble on who is manning the desk and how much they charge. It won't be more than $15, since that's what they charge for a full night stay.

I suspect they are on an honor system the rest of the time. The people who say it is free are perhaps of questionable honor or just didn't know how to pay.

If I were there at night I'd leave a contribution of a buck or two an hour if I could figure out how. The office was open when I was there and they charged me a prorated amount of the $15 daily rate. Others have gone and they got charged $15.

There are quite a few RV spaces, most with new outlets. Look for an unoccupied, new box to plug into. There are two rows of RV spaces, so drive around the loop to the back if it looks full.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and jbcarioca
There is a pay slot on the west side of the City Hall building. I just fold up the $15 and stick it in the slot.
Fun to watch the spring-water flowing through town. Downtown (hehe) park has a paddle wheel in the water.
Kids play in the water.

Have not tried this yet for charging, but the park is nice: Balmorhea State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Water like this in the middle of the parched surroundings is just remarkable.
Campground will re-open in 2019 - should have slots with NEMA 14-50s.
Of course we won't need it because the SC in FS will be open by then.

Huge new roadside park west of Fort Stockton is now open. Similar to the Columbus facility, but with more of a western theme.

There is a pay slot on the west side of the City Hall building. I just fold up the $15 and stick it in the slot.
Fun to watch the spring-water flowing through town. Downtown (hehe) park has a paddle wheel in the water.
Kids play in the water.

Have not tried this yet for charging, but the park is nice: Balmorhea State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Water like this in the middle of the parched surroundings is just remarkable.
Campground will re-open in 2019 - should have slots with NEMA 14-50s.
Of course we won't need it because the SC in FS will be open by then.

Huge new roadside park west of Fort Stockton is now open. Similar to the Columbus facility, but with more of a western theme.
What is that roadside park? Does it have a name?
BTW, I admire your confidence!

Valentine,Texas has a few RV slots. Zero facilities. Good library. Tiny little historic town, shriveling in time, same old story out here.
Best event here is the annual Valentine's Day Big Bend Brewery bash at the Mercantile on the east side of the tracks.
Music, local food trucks, local beer. Wonderfully eclectic crowd. You can have a beer and a conversation with a local rancher, a trust-fund artist from Marfa, a local politician, and people like us, all sitting at the same table. Very Texan, very Marfa-esque.
See: Big Bend Brewing Co. or:

@charliepmayer I remember as I was killing time, wandering around in the little park in Balmorhea, that every power pole along the little park on the main drag had what looked like RV outlets on them. I assume they are/were for some kind of festival or some such, so that they could set up trailers along the parking areas. I wonder if those are activated and if they could be used?
upload_2018-2-15_13-17-0.png

I didn't open them so I don't know what type of outlets are in there.

As a reminder, the biggest chance to have any say in Texas politics is during prelims.

Get phone calls and emails NOW into the candidates that are in your voting area on their views. In some cases the challengers are much more open. And the more people they commit to before the elections, the harder it will be for them to take TADA money later.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Since Tesla pays for the Supercharger build/operation, how difficult would it be for them to find a location that is willing to host a couple of Destination Chargers on a separate meter that Tesla could pay the bill, at least until they are able to complete this SC spot in Fort Stockton? Maybe a side or back wall of a business that is open 24/7 so those of us passing through could stop for an hour or so to get enough to make it to either Ozona or Van Horn. Maybe at Love's or Flying J? Maybe both? I am sure both businesses would be happy to host, as long as they do not have to pay for it, knowing it will bring in Tesla travelers who will not buy gas but will buy food and other supplies while they are waiting for the hour or so waiting for enough charge to get them to the next SC.

Since Tesla pays for the Supercharger build/operation, how difficult would it be for them to find a location that is willing to host a couple of Destination Chargers on a separate meter that Tesla could pay the bill, at least until they are able to complete this SC spot in Fort Stockton?
How difficult? Probably just as difficult as placing a supercharger site, if potential hosts are being pressured to not work with Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Anything requiring a permit is subject to delays initiated by the TADA or their supporters - doesn't matter who pays for it.

Even if no permit is required, pressure can be applied to anyone associated with Tesla. Hotels outside city limits can subtley be notified that their property is being considered for annexation - and thereby subject to city taxes and regulation. I suspect this is what's happening in Fort Stockton to the hotels and the truck stops.

Any trade lawyers out there? Isn't this some sort of restraint of trade violation? Racketeering?

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
You'd need someone with money to file suit and pay lawyers.
You'd need to look at Fort Stocktons charter to see what their annexation process is. Where I live property can't just be annexed by the local jurisdiction, the people actually have to petition to be added.

I lived in Clear Lake City when we were annexed by the City of Houston.
The City of Houston first annexed major thoroughfares to break up population centers into groups of less than 5,000(?),
then they annexed the rest of us. I think they did that to prevent us from incorporating our own city. We paid city taxes without any city services for several years. Unhappy community. I'm sure some of you out there know more accurate details, but that's what I recall.

Hostile annexations are fairly common in Texas: I am familiar with those in San Antonio, Houston and Rockport, don't know about anywhere else.

Doesn't matter I'm afraid, I'm sure the TADA has other arrows in their quiver.

Hey, maybe The Boring Company can test some of their "skates" and give us rides around Fort Stockton.

brkaus,
Thank you. I expect no legal action on Tesla's part - nobody wins except the lawyers. Tesla is being "home towned". Nothing new here.
My new S100D arrives end of March to replace or supplement my classic P85. Enjoying yours?
I agree, no legal action will happen. Causes more problems than worth. But they may have to purchase land to push it. Otherwise, if it is hometown stuff, it will be on someone else neck.

Love the S100D. Range and charging speed is fantastic. Sad to say though, going on a road trip for spring break through Ft. Stockton and I won't be driving it. Not because of the lack of supercharger, but going skiing and can't handle the thought of some bozo running into it in the snow.