Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Event 2012/9/24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) It will blanket the USA eventually and be located at close to food places.
2) It is already currently deployed in CA right now and has been kept a secret until now.
3) It will take 30 mins to charge the car.
4) It is powered by SOLAR power and will feed electricity back into the grid!
5) It is free to use by Model S owners!

Wow! I'll be able to drive from DFW to Houston (or anywhere else) for free. THINK about that....

Because I had no audio and video for a while, I missed the significance of the big spire thing. Is it going to be at every location? Is it the solar capture unit? Or just like a sign to identify the location of the station?

PS I don't think lack of audio or video is due to browser (the app was in Flash). I had no audio for a while, but then I just refreshed the page and it worked. It was probably just the performance of the streaming.

Free...Yeah, baby! I just wish he was a little more forthcoming about what the near-term availability is going to be for the East Coast.

I saw a dot here in Atlanta and they're putting a service center here as well. I'm guessing they'll prioritize locations that already have Tesla facilities and grow out from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Because I had no audio and video for a while, I missed the significance of the big spire thing. Is it going to be at every location? Is it the solar capture unit? Or just like a sign to identify the location of the station?

It looks like that's both a sign and some of the hardware. At least, that's what Elon's hand motions indicated.

It left me with more questions than it answered. I thought you were only supposed to use them for 2% of charges? Can't really say that all your power is free then. Only 2% of your power. Also, does it need recharging time between Model S's since it's solar and not drawing from the grid? Is there going to be internet connectivity to see if it's "occupied" before you get there?

I saw a dot here in Atlanta and they're putting a service center here as well. I'm guessing they'll prioritize locations that already have Tesla facilities and grow out from there.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like that's both a sign and some of the hardware. At least, that's what Elon's hand motions indicated.

The only problem is there isn't one between Atlanta and Charlotte where another one is. That is going to be a tough 240 miles to do.

It left me with more questions than it answered. I thought you were only supposed to use them for 2% of charges? Can't really say that all your power is free then. Only 2% of your power. Also, does it need recharging time between Model S's since it's solar and not drawing from the grid? Is there going to be internet connectivity to see if it's "occupied" before you get there?

Also, how many charging spots are there per supercharger? What's the point if there is only one supercharger and a line of four model Ss lined up? Do need more detail, within two years is really really vague. Could use that map posted. Also, one in Atlanta? Atlanta is a very big place. No benefit if it's downtown. Who wants to drive to downtown Atlanta, Chicago, DC etc to sit in traffic for an hour to supercharge for 30 min

Also, how many charging spots are there per supercharger? What's the point if there is only one supercharger and a line of four model Ss lined up? Do need more detail, within two years is really really vague. Could use that map posted. Also, one in Atlanta? Atlanta is a very big place. No benefit if it's downtown. Who wants to drive to downtown Atlanta, Chicago, DC etc to sit in traffic for an hour to supercharge for 30 min

Maps

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348544009.483501.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348544019.182998.jpg

The solar feeds the grid to offset electricity pulled from the grid to charge. For your house its called net metering. No batteries required.

Ok that makes sense. Couldn't figure out how they planned to do that. Elon definitely made it seem like the panels would directly charge your car though. Might explain how they'll make money on it for maintenance and such.

Also, does it need recharging time between Model S's since it's solar and not drawing from the grid?

I'm sure it's grid-connected (otherwise it wouldn't be working for their demo this evening), so it pulls from the grid when necessary, but the panels will pump back into the grid whatever they had to take out + some extra. If there's adequate sunlight, it'll use that. If not, it'll use the grid until there is and then pump it back in that direction to make back the environmental impact.

From previous interviews, Elon made it clear that for technical reasons only vehicles specifically designed to work with these chargers ie Tesla's and vehicles using Tesla's technology can use these chargers. And this for the at least the short to medium term is the only truly long distance electric infra structure in the United States. Do you understand how big this is?