Page 1 of 531 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Supercharger network

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar

Tesla Supercharger network

Tesla announced their Supercharging plans on 9/24/2012 and updated them on 5/30/13.
    Supercharger | Tesla Motors

We already have a few places this is being discussed but thought they should be consolidated in a new thread since the Supercharger network will apply to the Model S, Model X and possibly future models.
    Prior threads are
    Tesla DC charging network
    and
    Exciting Charging Announcement Speculation

Also, look at the excellent resource started by daxz
    Suggested Supercharger Locations
    and the map related to that
    Tesla Supercharger Desired Locations

and
    Tesla Supercharge Map estimator

Will update this thread as appropriate.

Good news that Tesla will be targeting locations along highways where food and coffee can be found. Exactly the correct strategy I think.

TMC Wiki of Supercharger locations here
    Tesla Supercharger locations - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Name:  US_Superchargers.jpg
Views: 14412
Size:  1.16 MB
    Thanks to Laurent for the screen grabs above and below
    Name:  TeslaMap a.jpg
Views: 15983
Size:  2.44 MB

And to PhilBa for the overlay of the interstate highway system below:
    Name:  interstate supercharger map big.png
Views: 17406
Size:  1.55 MB
    Last edited by dsm363; 2013-06-01 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added new announcement

Blog Entries
    My bet is on 1,000 superchargers....

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    My bet is on 1,000 superchargers....
    Announced.

Sorry to be cynical but CA has had some colossal failures in this sector. Notably similar is the 1000 Nissan said would go in San Diego alone.

I'd be happy if they started with 100-200 and placed them in service by next spring with the intent to add more. Texas only needs 4 locations to start and we're the third largest Tesla market in the US I believe. California, Florida, Washington State and the East coast will need more coverage. The midwest will need to be addressed as well. Other sites dictated by where they are delivering the Model S to in large numbers (Tesla obviously has this information already).

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    I'd be happy if they started with 100-200 and placed them in service by next spring with the intent to add more. Texas only needs 4 locations to start and we're the third largest Tesla market in the US I believe. California, Florida, Washington State and the East coast will need more coverage. The midwest will need to be addressed as well. Other sites dictated by where they are delivering the Model S to in large numbers (Tesla obviously has this information already).
    The thing is that to make Tesla a real success they need them where the cars aren't, not where the cars are. The reason is that where the cars are is mostly covered by home charging. Where the cars aren't is vacation and other travel. The ability to say you can go just about anywhere because there are chargers every 200 or so miles--even if you take the state highways--eliminates any range anxiety and makes the Tesla equivalent to an ICE car in that regard.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

I agree but with a limited resource it does make sense to start with Superchargers extending out from pockets of customers. This would allow customers in one large city that's 400 miles from the next large city to make the trip with one 45 min charge with the 85 kWh pack for example. Once chargers in the most needed places are done, they do need to extend the network out to places where there aren't as many customers in order to attract more people in that area to buy a Model S.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Agreed, it can't be done all at once. However midway between the two cities is a place where customers aren't--even if customers travel through there.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

I agree. That's what I meant to say. The initial placement of Superchargers should be around 150 miles or so outside of major cities where clusters of customers live.

Was at TESLA GALLERIA May 24th. Store Management said the First TEXAS Tesla Supercharger will be between Dallas and Houston, Madisonville, or Centerville !!!! How exciting . Then, he said the next SuperCharger install would be in between HOU and AUS. That will make your blood race, and your Model S too !!!
    Model S Performance
    P03217

This is probably a good map to use in planning:

Name:  fullinterstatemap-web.jpg
Views: 21264
Size:  212.6 KB

Here's some facts on it: http://bigthink.com/ideas/21124

Thread Information