Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Erie, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notice I said ease the travel as opposed to make the trip possible. The difference Erie will make in warm weather ( the trip is very questionable in cold weather with only supercharging ) is the difference between range charging in Clarence or just topping up to 150 rated miles. Thats the difference between 10-15 minutes and a solid hour. Charging the upper half of the battery takes a lot longer.

Last week I charged up to 250 miles and got to Macedonia with 17 miles left BUT I had to contend with warnings not to go faster than 65 mph to reach my destination and I felt the need to resort to drafting. It would certainly be preferable to be able to get a quick boost in Erie so I could drive in a more normal manner.

How cold? Below Zero C? How fast did you drive? I have tried similar trips at - 2 C (28F) and been forced to L2 charge to make it even driving 55. Snow and wind can also be contributing negative factors.

It was -2C to start and then +5C at Macedonia. Moderate head wind and dry road. Put car into Autopilot on I90 at speed limit - 65 mph. After the first few miles, I got warnings that I should reduce speed to 90kmh but then after a while it recalculated and predicted 6% battery at destination.

Same experience going from Clarence to Cranberry north of Pittsburgh last November. Distance 330km and I had head wind and rain and Temp at +2C. Again lots of warnings and then ended up with 10% battery left at destination.

Both trips were made with Range Mode on and heater set at 20 degrees C. Don't know if that helped any.

Conclusion: A Supercharger at Erie would have been quite useful despite me making it to both destinations.

The trip graph is a fairly useful tool for monitoring battery usage and projected charge level at the end of the trip. If you see the end of trip level continue to drop below the original projected level then that is an indication that you may need to slow down to reach your destination.

WE FOUND IT! It's right off the Peach Street exit at the Hilton Garden Inn, scheduled to open in the Spring.

H/T to JakeP for his help!

Here are all the details: TESLA Pittsburgh.com: Erie Supercharger FOUND!
View attachment 108897

Yesssss! Thank you Tesla, and thank you to the people who figured this out!
Erie is the "gateway to the west" for us in upstate NY, as it was once before long ago. (In the 19th century, Erie was the station where you got off the railroad from upstate NY and got on the railroad from Chicago, before they started running trains all the way through. This is why Erie's railroad station is physically massive compared to the size of the town.)

Next priority as far as I am concerned: Syracuse service center. Then I can actually start recommending that people buy Teslas again.

Yesssss! Thank you Tesla, and thank you to the people who figured this out!
Erie is the "gateway to the west" for us in upstate NY, as it was once before long ago. (In the 19th century, Erie was the station where you got off the railroad from upstate NY and got on the railroad from Chicago, before they started running trains all the way through. This is why Erie's railroad station is physically massive compared to the size of the town.)

Next priority as far as I am concerned: Syracuse service center. Then I can actually start recommending that people buy Teslas again.

Great! That would make the SC about 106 miles from my home. No more drafting or worrying about my speed!

I apologize upfront for bumping this thread as I know others are watching for some real information about ANY activity at the Erie site.
That said does anyone know if there is some way to get information about planning, zoning or town board meetings that might be processing the Peach Street site?

I think we're ready for a thread devoted to Erie.

It's on Tesla's radar (whew!) and now we await some building permits.

This might be too late in the game, but I thought I'd throw this out as a proposed location. JakeP and I found it a long time ago but I don't we ever posted or shared it (other than with Tesla... I think... I can't remember). I was driving through the area twice IN MY GAS CAR this past week and did some one sight scouting.

The location is right off Peach St and close to I-90. An isolated and seemingly random scrap of parking lot (should discourage ICEing) that both highly visible (in a Y in the road) and also close to everything. Really about any kind of food you could want is in walking distance, plus shopping like HHGregg, Petsmart, Home Depot and Walmart. There is plenty of surrounding lawn for the Supercharger cabinets, dog walk, and maybe a picnic table or two-- should it ever be desired.

Here's a spin-video (should be online soon, uploading now):

View attachment 64925

View attachment 64926

View attachment 64927
I envision the Superchargers located on the longer side with the short side being used for pulling your nose in so that reversing into the charger slots would be more or less a straight shot back.

View attachment 64928
High profile location for those gleaming new cabinets.

View attachment 64929
My trusty GAS steed.... since we couldn't take our Intergalactic Spaceship of Wonder and Light to the good people of the Finger Lakes.

View attachment 64930
This station will be my gateway to Toronto! Permit filed since late January...I wonder why it is taking so long to get into construction? Maybe the 200k model 3 deposits will free up some cash for this station to be built!

This station will be my gateway to Toronto! Permit filed since late January...I wonder why it is taking so long to get into construction? Maybe the 200k model 3 deposits will free up some cash for this station to be built!

200K is so last week! :)

From Elektrek:
"Musk confirmed that Tesla had over 276,000 Model 3 reservations by the end of Saturday. The CEO said that he will update the number one more time on Wednesday."