Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - East Palo Alto, CA - 1700 East Bayshore Road (LIVE 9 Apr 2024, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no transformer. Impressive copper grounding rod in the slab. The transformer delay may be related to construction a few steps down the sidewalk (towards the freeway). I suspect they're related because the landscaping (lawn, etc.) has been removed between this new work and the transformer slab, which would be consistent with trenching for conduits.
IMG_1142.JPGIMG_1143.JPGIMG_1146.JPG

Reactions: Guacahummus
I was earlier there today and I saw the powered-up charging posts. But when I parked to charge, the Tesla person told me that they were still checking out the site and it wasn't available for charging. He said at the time that they hoped to have ready by the end of the week; apparently it all went well and quickly.

Also learned that tire stops are being removed from V3 sites (like this one) to accommodate non-Tesla vehicles, but V4 sites will have tire stops (is that due to longer cables?).

IMG_1526.JPG

Reactions: sunnnv
Transformer! And the related vault down the street now a cabinet over it. ...

The "cabinet" is pad mount distribution switchgear, in this instance, specifically ABB Elastimold™ brand.
These pad mount cabinets have several (typically 4, but maybe more) 3 phase switches to allow turning off the "primary" aka "distribution" (12,470V AC in the case of Palo Alto) to the transformer(s) and/or other switchgear/large energy storage systems/etc. attached further down the line from the switchgear.

This video from ABB has pics of what the insides look like.
Link to their web-page.

I noticed the transformer pad you showed had only 1 input conduit, but figured this is why - there was a distribution box (going to be) nearby. This way they don't have to order the transformer with the extra (or any) switch in it for daisy-chaining another transformer, or dig around close to an active/large/heavy transformer when somebody wants to daisy-chain something. With the growth of BEVs, I'd bet there will be more charging in/near this garage within a few years, maybe hundreds of level-2 and/or inductive chargers.

I charged here on Saturday! Was a little low on charge and was at IKEA picking up some new cabinets. While partner was checking out items and doing order pickup, I moved the car from general parking over to here. Everything works! It was pretty busy though— almost all stalls taken on the first weekend of opening!

If you buy anything from IKEA, you can easily load the car while it charges, by the way. It's right next to the entrance/exit.

I think it would be awkward to come here if you weren't going to IKEA already. You have to get in line to enter the parking garage and deal with slow-moving traffic that is finding parking spots. It's not like this Supercharger is right by the entrance. And to leave you have to go through the whole garage including through an area where everyone is pushing carts to/from their cars.

• Informative
Reactions: sunnnv