Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - DeFuniak Springs, FL (I-10 between Tallahassee & Pensacola)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
City council passed with no special approval needed. According to the City Manager's office, it will be at the following location, on 10th St between Hwy 90 and Baldwin Ave, or about 2.2 miles from I-10. They expect it to be complete "before end of year". Hopefully sooner...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3....1168389,226m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Within walking distance of the lake, however from this map it doesn't look like there are many food options nearby:

Yes.

DeFuniak Springs Supercharger location.jpg

Tesla requested 6 parking spaces.
Perhaps the 6 diagonal spaces will be used and the nearby utility pole will be converted to a cable pole to feed the utility transformer located on the vacant lot along with the Tesla switchgear and Superchargers.

DeFuniak Springs Supercharger Request.jpg

Above is Tesla's request for 6 spaces near the Hotel DeFuniak which has a restaurant. The hotel is only two blocks away.

Larry

Don't think of this as only being an I-10 corridor. It's also useful for those of us heading from AL,TN,KY, MO or MS to a Florida panhandle beach. But we would be looking for a bite to eat.

The goal for initial rollout is to establish corridors (primary goal, not only), but each node supports various other users. As far as DFS is concerned, as a Fort Walton Beach resident, I'm keenly aware of it's other roles, especifically panhandle to TN/AL/GA. No matter which 'corridor' we're looking at, DFS is in the middle of nowhere. Back to topic, I'll check out the food from what IS available the next time I pass through. Corner Café is okay...been around for ever. I don't like it, and think it was kind of run down last I was there (over 5 years), but it was not bad. Bogeys is a 4-star deal (great food), which means a bit more expensive and limited hours (distinct lunch and dinner hours), although they aren't busy enough to turn away those without reservations. I have no idea what this hotdog place is all about. Things are not looking good for food in that area during the wee hours o' the morn.

I received an email from the City Manager last week indicating that approval was imminent but that she did not know when actual construction would begin. It's reported on a local news website that the DeFuniak Springs City Council did meet on November 10 and took the following action:

"The final design for the Tesla Motors charging station for the northwest corner of 10th and Baldwin was presented. The charging station is part of a network the electric car company is creating. Tesla expects to sell 33,000 vehicles next year and has broke ground on a 9 million square foot state of the art battery plant. Bruce Butts, with Sago Properties, told commissioners they own the adjoining property. While he did not speak against Tesla, he did ask the council to hold the project due to the way the site was selected. Butts said his property has the potential to be developed and be high traffic. Wright had concerns about taking parking. Councilman Carpenter said this will bring people off I-10 and into the historic downtown. Tesla will also pay the city a lease fee. Council approved the proposal."

Thanks for the update. Many people who would travel west on I-10 are waiting for this station and others to be online. Hopefully Pensacola and Mobile are coming soon as well.

I heard that DeFuniak Springs was on the "soon..." list. :biggrin:

Mobile is "soon..." as well. Tallahassee needs to get going to connect the dots west out of FL on I-10.

I am informed that despite not being on the dots map, Tesla is pursuing a couple of leads in the Tallahassee area, but the progress is slow going.

Thanks for checking!

Tallahassee or something close will be a very important link in the chain of Superchargers on I-10.

It's is a shame that its so hard for Tesla to find sites. I know that I am an evangelist, but for a landlord, this seems win-win to me. Tesla pays the install, the Supercharger brings well-heeled customers to a location, and the landlord get good press. Sadly, the real issue probably comes down to parking spaces, which can be a valuable resource the landlords do not want to give up.

Earlier today (12/28/2014) I drove by this site and it looks to be about done with construction. Charging stations installed. Concrete work looks close to being complete.

I'd guess by the end of this week through possibly the end of next week, this should be on-line.

this is is a pleasant surprise. Anyone in the neighborhood to kindly post some photos? It's coming online will make possible for me to take my model S to my condo in Destin.

Great news! They still need one more between Lake City and Defuniak Springs, as well as running westward in either Alabama, Mississippi, or eastern Louisiana, in order to close out the eastern leg of I-10. Wonder why it's been so hard to find space around Tallahassee, Mobile and Gulfport?

Earlier today (12/28/2014) I drove by this site and it looks to be about done with construction. Charging stations installed. Concrete work looks close to being complete.

I'd guess by the end of this week through possibly the end of next week, this should be on-line.

this is is a pleasant surprise. Anyone in the neighborhood to kindly post some photos? It's coming online will make possible for me to take my model S to my condo in Destin.

Raddoc001 - what condo? My wife's parents have one at Destin Beach Club and they are considering a Model S. Long shot obviously with all the condos there but just thought if you were at the same place maybe we can get multiple owners to collaborate for an HPWC at the condo.