Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Culver City, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today a special crew was on site to run the conduit from the Main power entry across the parking lot to the supercharger area. They chose the least disruptive method and it appears using a horizontal drilling rig to drill under the lot (78"). I only have a couple of pictures, for some reason the rest were all out of focus. The crew was still working when I left the area at 7:30pm, one of the workers said they were planning on having the work completed today.

I'm looking forward to Friday.
2014-11-12 15.34.33.jpg
2014-11-12 15.37.25.jpg
2014-11-12 18.33.30.jpg
2014-11-12 18.34.42.jpg

This is an incredible surprise since I live in Culver City and was expecting them to install a supercharger at the near by service center, not ten at the local mall where there's a 5-Guys burger joint, where the burgers are tasty and in the time it takes to "fill up" you can "fill up", that would be a double "fill up".

Thanks for the heads up NoCO!

This is an incredible surprise since I live in Culver City and was expecting them to install a supercharger at the near by service center, not ten at the local mall where there's a 5-Guys burger joint, where the burgers are tasty and in the time it takes to "fill up" you can "fill up", that would be a double "fill up".

Thanks for the heads up NoCO!

Not ten but twelve! I'm a In-N-out guy. Fried Chicken at Dihnah's and Pastrami at Johnnies, Dihnah's is a do-able walk while charging. The downside is after ten, the whole area is a dead zone. I think the Gold's Gym is open 24 hours, you have to pay me to work out these days.

Not ten but twelve! I'm a In-N-out guy. Fried Chicken at Dihnah's and Pastrami at Johnnies, Dihnah's is a do-able walk while charging. The downside is after ten, the whole area is a dead zone. I think the Gold's Gym is open 24 hours, you have to pay me to work out these days.

George Petrelli's Steak House is closer than Dinah's. It's a retro (original) eatery with soup and salid and good steaks. Of course you could swing by In N Out for the burger and enjoy it in your S while topping up. Hope to see you at the station by year's end.

George Petrelli's Steak House is closer than Dinah's. It's a retro (original) eatery with soup and salid and good steaks. Of course you could swing by In N Out for the burger and enjoy it in your S while topping up. Hope to see you at the station by year's end.

Worked in Culver city for 15 years, I have never been to Patrellli's, I was sorry to hear of his passing a few months back. Normally, I'm dining at the Symantec cafeteria across the street from the soon to be completed site.

Today I start with a riddle, the pictures below show the work done today and here is the riddle: A crane was on site to unload and assemble the very large trench shore. At this site it appears all the electrical transformers are underground. Are they going to put the transformer in a vault and the Supercharger above ground? I guess I'll find out Wednesday.

2014-11-17 15.45.42.jpg
2014-11-17 15.46.49.jpg
2014-11-17 15.46.10.jpg

Today I start with a riddle, the pictures below show the work done today and here is the riddle: A crane was on site to unload and assemble the very large trench shore. At this site it appears all the electrical transformers are underground. Are they going to put the transformer in a vault and the Supercharger above ground? I guess I'll find out Wednesday.

Usually, the distribution, medium Voltage connections are done in vaults below the surface or in above ground enclosures, but transformers are almost always on the surface, just outside of the Equipment Enclosure containing the Distribution Center and the Supercharger Cabinets. These transformers need good ventilation for cooling, which is much easier above ground.

This picture from Rancho Cucamonga taken by Bound466, shows the size of the transformer for another 12-Stall Supercharger Site and the transformer location just outside the Equipment Enclosure.

View attachment 63676

Last edited:
Having the transformer above ground is better for cooling, though at this complex I have not seen a tranformer(another field trip), it possible the power provider (SCE) may be enhancing thier network by setting up a sub/medium voltage station as the one for the mall is at capacity. The complex I work at accross the street has been notified that SCE will be performing maintenance and turning off power Sunday evening, not sure if it related to the work being done...but that is the fun of watching.

Here is a look from today. It appears that the distribution vault has been put in place and also the transformer pad...and this place is starting to look like a Tesla super charger site with the delivery of the supercharger cabinets and conduit.

2014-11-19 15.39.58.jpg
2014-11-19 15.40.45.jpg
2014-11-19 15.42.08.jpg
2014-11-19 15.42.49.jpg

Culver City Station Progress

Stopped by today and got a tour from Joe the site supervisor for Near Cal Construction. There will be 2-banks of stalls around this back corner of the mall lot across from J C Penneys:
5- back-in stalls on the left side,
7- drive-in stalls on the right side with pedestals mounted on an island at the drivers rear, a layout I have not encountered
(no bollards, question safety of the charger stands).
IMG_7336.JPG

They ran an underground conduit 420'! (reported earlier by NoCO at a depth of 7'). I took a look at the plans.

TODAY: The crew continued to dig vaults for eqpt., a total of 12x20' underground.
IMG_7339.JPG
IMG_7344.JPG

For some reason I can't get my photographs to orient properly, so sorry.

NEXT: Install above the ground supercharger cabinets.
IMG_7346.JPG

YES, the power in the area will be down on Sunday to link the Supercharger transformer to the grid
UPCOMING: The Mall will finish clearing the Hillside behind the chargers, installing a Spanish tile wall behind the site/ equipment enclosures then re-landscaping the hillside. Sounds like it will be a beautiful site to relax and charge.

I look forward to seeing you and charging up during those first days in December.

Joe, the job supervisor for Near Cal Construction, also mentioned his company is installing 15 ADDITIONAL superchargers at the Tesla Design Center Hawthorne location! Plus another supercharger station, unsure of where.

Attachments

• IMG_7341.JPG
    IMG_7341.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_7335.JPG
    IMG_7335.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_7337.JPG
    IMG_7337.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 726
Great shots and thanks for the update on Sunday's outage. I'll be on standby at work to take care of our systems, but it's the first time, I'll be happy to be there.

And the Tesla equipment is on site...now everyone walking by will know.

And the Tesla equipment is on site...now everyone walking by will know.
In fact when I was there, for 15 minutes, there were more than a dozen people streaming by up/down the staircase through the site. Suspect they were all heading to/from the mall for lunch from the office buildings. Once the site is populated with charging Model Ss, it will be fantastic advertising for Tesla brand.

Some shots from Monday, the main power conduit is complete, on Monday the trenching for the Supercharger cabinets was being worked on. Tonight I had to stop at the mall at 9:10 and saw the crew working!!! I'm guessing they are putting the OT in for the thanksgiving weekend.

2014-11-24 15.15.19.jpg
2014-11-24 15.15.26.jpg
2014-11-25 21.01.27.jpg