Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethany, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the suggestion. That one seems like the most convenient place to stop, just didn't know how much difference the traditional vs. urban supercharger made in the grand scheme of things. While I tested the supercharging feature on the Model 3 for a few minutes, just to make sure it works, this will be the first trip where it's actually used. I might walk to the Panera Bread to grab a bagel to pass the time while the car tops off.

This is indeed bad new. I called city of Bethnay, MO and the lady who answered my call gave me a scripted response, " Tesla has decided not to build their Supercharger at Kum & Go in Bethnay". She would not tell me if the SC will be built at any other location in Bethnay. Does anyone have a good contact in Bethnay, MO to give us more information? This was a great location for our trip from Overland Park, KS to Verona, WI. I will contact Tesla to see if they can provide any additional information. BTW, Bethnay, MO is still showing up on Tesla's SC map with completion date of 2018.

This is indeed bad new. I called city of Bethnay, MO and the lady who answered my call gave me a scripted response, " Tesla has decided not to build their Supercharger at Kum & Go in Bethnay". She would not tell me if the SC will be built at any other location in Bethnay. Does anyone have a good contact in Bethnay, MO to give us more information? This was a great location for our trip from Overland Park, KS to Verona, WI. I will contact Tesla to see if they can provide any additional information. BTW, Bethnay, MO is still showing up on Tesla's SC map with completion date of 2018.

I finally got a response from Tesla today. IMHO their Customer Service leaves much to be desired.
They say that Bethnay, MO SC is still on schedule to open by the end of 2018. Not sure who to believe!

Sent this to Tesla Supercharger request link for Bethany MO:
"This is an absolutely needed charging midpoint between Kansas City MO and Des Moines, Iowa.
Why is the planned install being cancelled/delayed? The transformer has already been delivered.
This trip cannot be made in cold inclement weather without the Bethany stop."
Will see if there is a response.

Reactions: RobK
Also sent this to Kum and Go corporate customer service:

"I was anxiously waiting for this planned Supercharger since it is necessary to make the distance from Kansas City to Des Moines.
I read that the installation at the Kum and Go was cancelled. Tesla has not been responsive to requests for status.
Can you provide any updated information please?
Thank you,"

The Bethany contact is Jacob Denum, Bethany building inspector. Plan to call him Monday.

Reactions: RobK
Also sent this to Kum and Go corporate customer service:

"I was anxiously waiting for this planned Supercharger since it is necessary to make the distance from Kansas City to Des Moines.
I read that the installation at the Kum and Go was cancelled. Tesla has not been responsive to requests for status.
Can you provide any updated information please?
Thank you,"

The Bethany contact is Jacob Denum, Bethany building inspector. Plan to call him Monday.

Thank you Dan for your effort. I too will send an email to Tesla. Hopefully if enough of us petition for Bethnay, MO SC it will happen. Please keep us posted.

Thank you Dan for your effort. I too will send an email to Tesla. Hopefully if enough of us petition for Bethnay, MO SC it will happen. Please keep us posted.

This is the response I received from Derek of Kum & Go. As you can see it is not much of use:

Dear Rob,

I wanted to reach out on behalf of Kum & Go and thank you for your interest in Kum & Go and Tesla Superchargers. While we cannot comment on anything in regards to Tesla’s Superchargers, we do appreciate your passion and interest in electric vehicles.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do and appreciate you taking the time to reach out.

All the best,

Derek

Just spoke to Bethany building inspector. To his knowledge, as recently as two weeks ago the city attorney was finalizing easements for the install. Not a definitive answer...seems only Tesla would know for sure. And they are unresponsive.

OK...just spoke to Ms. Jonne Slemmons, Bethany MO City Administrator. Tesla has cancelled plans for the Bethany installation.
Bethany is, however, pursuing another charger installation option.
They are applying for funds from the VW Trust, the pool of money from the fine VW paid to the US. MO will receive $36MM of those funds to be used for clean air projects. $6MM of that has been allocated to establishing an EV charging network throughout MO.
Two types of plug-ins will be available in the planned stations - CHAdeMO and CCS Combo. Planning and allocation timing is 6 months and installation another 12 to 18 months. That puts timing out to 1.5 to 2 years.
Bethany is applying for a station install, but no one yet knows the locations that will be chosen for the planned MO network.
Seems Tesla may be pulling back on SC installs.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and RobK
OK...just spoke to Ms. Jonne Slemmons, Bethany MO City Administrator. Tesla has cancelled plans for the Bethany installation.
Bethany is, however, pursuing another charger installation option.
They are applying for funds from the VW Trust, the pool of money from the fine VW paid to the US. MO will receive $36MM of those funds to be used for clean air projects. $6MM of that has been allocated to establishing an EV charging network throughout MO.
Two types of plug-ins will be available in the planned stations - CHAdeMO and CCS Combo. Planning and allocation timing is 6 months and installation another 12 to 18 months. That puts timing out to 1.5 to 2 years.
Bethany is applying for a station install, but no one yet knows the locations that will be chosen for the planned MO network.
Seems Tesla may be pulling back on SC installs.

Thanks for the update Dan. I hope Tesla will take out Bethnay, MO SC from their SC map to reflect their decision.

This is a bummer - without this link, it’s not possible to go north/south (e.g. from Minnesota to Texas) in the cold of winter (without going super slow or out of the way), even with X100D charged to 100%. Not gonna replace second car with Tesla until there’s a link.

I don’t quite understand priorities - there seem to be many redundant superchargers with minimal usage in Midwest less than 50 miles apart and this appears to be the longest remaining gap on interstates (aside from I-94)

Reactions: swaltner and RobK
Looked at various route planners and the trip is nearly un-doable in winter with snow. This is a major bummer.
Beginning to get a bit disillusioned. The other "weak link" in my typical route is Kingman to Flagstaff AZ. Forget about that trip in winter.
The transformer was already paid for and delivered, so Tesla re-imbursed Bethany for that sunk cost. Ridiculous.