Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn MA (non-canonical thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This mornings pics. No notice of the opening yet. There is a placeholder page on Teslamotors.com:
Auburn Supercharger | Tesla Motors
IMG_3570.jpg

Did the generator powered testing of the stalls occur yet? This proceeded the transformer installations at Edison NJ and Sagamore MA.

From what I have observed, generator testing only happens when the Utility connection is delayed and the Tesla test crew is in the area. When that happens, it is cost effective and timely for Tesla to rent a LARGE, 3-phase, 480 Volt generator, and pay the electrician to make a temporary connection for them to test the Supercharger without grid power available. In most cases, it's not worth the time and effort for Tesla to rent the generator.

Darn - not looking good for my trip to Maine next weekend. Would make the trip a LOT shorter. More direct than East Greenwich, and 35 miles closer so charging time is 15 minutes less (need full charge from East Greenwich).

When I ordered my car last June, I was hoping the Sturbridge charger would be ready for my November 2013 trip to Maine. Never thought I'd still be waiting a year later.

+1, I waited a year before the first CHAdeMO was installed, and they're still few and far between, and not well maintained, which is a drag when there is only one at each site.

As a strategy, I would have thought Tesla would choose a central crossroads site like Auburn to open first, rather than the more peripheral West Greenwich or Sagamore.

Though E. Greenwich RI isn't exactly at a cross roads, it is just South of where 95 and 195 (Cape Cod traffic) cross. West Springfield is just South by a couple of miles, from where RT90 (MA Pike) and 91 cross paths.

The one that doesn't make sense to me is where they are putting the "Northern CT" supercharger, West Hartford. Though the it is less than a mile off RT 84, it's 7 miles West of Hartford, where 91 and 84 cross paths. 7 miles is quite the detour to take for a charge.
I guess the tricky part for Tesla is to find a location that is relatively easy on/off to a major route and have stuff around for owners to do while charging.

Almost all of the New England superchargers to date are set up to support Tesla's New York metro customer base. The I-95 SCs are there to take New Yorkers to Cape Cod's beaches, and the W.Hartford and W.Springfield SCs get New Yorkers to Vermont's slopes. Auburn and Sagamore are the first SCs that are arguably for New Englanders.

Not sure why you say that Robert.

Fairfield County is part of Connecticut not NY and therefore part of New England. I see Teslas everyday when I drive to work. 3 Tesla waves on Friday.

I think those Supercharger stations were built as promotion to generate interest in lower Fairfield County. They were one of the first built by Tesla.

Having them truly removes concern regarding range when traveling to Mystic and back or south the NJ and back. I'm looking forward to W. Hartford and W. Springfield from my trips to VT.

One in VT as well would be great on 91 near Brattleboro. But perhaps that is too close to W Springfield so WRJ makes more sense.

Not sure why you say that Robert.

Fairfield County is part of Connecticut not NY and therefore part of New England.
Yes and no. First, let me say that I was speaking both in a bit of jest and with a dollop of mean-spiritedness. But, I'll stand by the remark.

Fairfield County has a fairly weak claim to being part of New England. Three points: (a) The technical definition of the "New York metropolitan area," as established by the Bureau of the Census, includes all of Fairfield, Litchfield, and New Haven counties (as well as big chunks of downstate NY and northern NJ). (b) Most of your neighbors cheer for the Yankees, not the Red Sox; Fairfield County is deep in Yankees territory. (c) Another touchstone would be the excellent book by Colin Woodward, American Nations, in which the author identifies 11 distinct peoples who cohabit this country. Fairfield County is, by history, voting records, demographics, and a number of other metrics, part of "New Netherland" while the rest of Connecticut is part of "Yankeedom."

All that said, every Supercharger is a good Supercharger, and I've used every one in New England at some point. But none of them prior to Sagamore and Auburn helped me travel within New England, only to points in or beyond the (Census-defined) New York MSA. I'm looking forward to being able to do the trip I'm currently on (Portland ME--Lenox MA--Hanover NH) in my Tesla instead of my wife's BMW.

Fairfield County has a fairly weak claim to being part of New England. Three points: (a) The technical definition of the "New York metropolitan area," as established by the Bureau of the Census, includes all of Fairfield, Litchfield, and New Haven counties (as well as big chunks of downstate NY and northern NJ). (b) Most of your neighbors cheer for the Yankees, not the Red Sox; Fairfield County is deep in Yankees territory. (c) Another touchstone would be the excellent book by Colin Woodward, American Nations, in which the author identifies 11 distinct peoples who cohabit this country. Fairfield County is, by history, voting records, demographics, and a number of other metrics, part of "New Netherland" while the rest of Connecticut is part of "Yankeedom."

Wow.. you can cherry-pick these bizarre definitions of "New England" all day long, but New England, by official definition is CT, RI,MA, VT,NH, and ME. That's it. New England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I live in Fairfield County and there are *plenty* of people here who root for the Red Sox, as if that's even a criteria for being included in NE. I lived *in* Boston for 17 years and never once rooted for the Red Sox. I guess I wasn't a real New Englander. :wink:

Almost all of the New England superchargers to date are set up to support Tesla's New York metro customer base.
Also, you don't think the New England superchargers you cite are for people in New England to travel south TO New York, New Jersey, Phila, and DC? And that they're only for NY Metro area people to escape NYC? Unbelievable.