Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharged: West Coast Corridor announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the three of us were talking for a while (while captain_zap ran off for coffee). I agree name tags would make it easier - I had planned to bring my TESLIVE badge, but forgot.

A group of local advocates (The CATES Institute, Plug In America, Seattle Electric Vehicle Association, Clean Cities, WA Clean Tech and a few local elected officials and businesses) have been after Inslee since before he was voted in as governor. He says his highest priority is environmental wins that are also good for the economy, and we've been laying out the case. We (we the group; I wasn't actually there) were at an Inslee workshop discussing just this when the ZEV states made their joint announcement. We have in the past worked hard to push through small individual pieces of legislation; we have had some successes (like Eddy's bill back in 2009 that funded PSRC's Model Ordinance done by Plug In America, now used nationwide to allow cities and counties to quickly change their codes to support EVs and infrastructure; and the more recent bill to fine cars parked at EVSEs without charging) but it has been really hard even getting tiny things done.

WA was not invited to the 8 ZEV state agreement because we are not a ZEV state. But CA and OR are in; and just last week Inslee was in Sacramento as part of a BC, WA, OR and CA announcement to work together to all have "similar" legislation. There were no details in this announcement, but there are at least discussions going on about perhaps passing a single large package of EV-related legislation similar to things in CA. ZEV might be included. The "open access" plan that Plug In America pushed in CA (allowing anybody to drive up and use a charger with either a credit card or phone; no locking people out if they don't have a club card with them) is another likely one. I don't think it would necessarily include everything that CA does (and some of them I'm not sure I'd recommend); but the key points are that they are looking at passing a package rather than just bits and pieces at a time; and that they are looking to have similar laws to other West Coast entities to make complying easier for industry.

I think this is all good news for Tesla and their Superchargers. They already comply with California laws (even the 6 new ones enacted by CA on National Plug In Day) and having more states encourage EVs and use similar laws makes things easier for them. It also helps to increase demand.

By the way - Inslee was the at the same Tesla Westlake store about 3 years ago (long before he was governor) and spoke at an event. He also wrote "Apollo's Fire"; he has long said his mission is to support economy-pumping green tech products like EVs. Not much has actually happened yet, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Yes, the three of us were talking for a while (while captain_zap ran off for coffee). I agree name tags would make it easier - I had planned to bring my TESLIVE badge, but forgot.

Maybe that coffee was meant for me. :wink: It just didn't register that Doug was Doug. The acoustics were not the best in the garage.
We'll catch up again soon about adapter and charger planning for post-Ellensburg.