Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunshade for Windshield & Skylight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Hi,

I am a reservation holder for the Model X and this is my first post on TMC, though I have been following/reading other posts for a while.

Unfortunately my family is very sensitive and avoids sunlight if possible. We tend to hang towels from the window when driving in the evening to prevent sunlight from blinding us and shining on our face.

I am aware that on the S the panoramic roof does a great job in preventing heat from entering the cabin but does it block the sunlight itself from entering the cabin? For instance, if I place my hand under the panoramic roof on the S, when the sun is directly over the it, will I see the light on my hand or will it be greatly reduced and will the light be unnoticeable?

If a shade can be developed to extend from the top of the panoramic windshield to the rearview mirror and match the interior of the Model X, that would be a perfect solution. As far as the skylights on the falcon wing doors, shades for those will likely be much easier to develop.

What are your thoughts? Do any of you Model S owners, have a family member that is sensitive to sunlight? If so, what do they think of the panoramic roof?

While I don't think anyone in my family is particularly photosensitive, I've not had any problems with excess light through the Pano roof. In past cars with sunroofs I often have kept the inner cover closed because the light through the glass was too bright. The tint on the pano roof is much darker and blocks a good part of the light.

While I don't think anyone in my family is particularly photosensitive, I've not had any problems with excess light through the Pano roof. In past cars with sunroofs I often have kept the inner cover closed because the light through the glass was too bright. The tint on the pano roof is much darker and blocks a good part of the light.

How is it inside when sunlight is directly above the panoramic roof? Does light shine on your head? The sunroof on my current cars are always closed. Is the panoramic roof like limo tinting (5%)?

Hi,

I am a reservation holder for the Model X and this is my first post on TMC, though I have been following/reading other posts for a while.

Unfortunately my family is very sensitive and avoids sunlight if possible. We tend to hang towels from the window when driving in the evening to prevent sunlight from blinding us and shining on our face.

I am aware that on the S the panoramic roof does a great job in preventing heat from entering the cabin but does it block the sunlight itself from entering the cabin? For instance, if I place my hand under the panoramic roof on the S, when the sun is directly over the it, will I see the light on my hand or will it be greatly reduced and will the light be unnoticeable?

If a shade can be developed to extend from the top of the panoramic windshield to the rearview mirror and match the interior of the Model X, that would be a perfect solution. As far as the skylights on the falcon wing doors, shades for those will likely be much easier to develop.

What are your thoughts? Do any of you Model S owners, have a family member that is sensitive to sunlight? If so, what do they think of the panoramic roof?
My recollection is that the Model S panoramic roof blocks 98% of visible light and 81% of infrared.

Did any of the 6 founders comment or post pictures regarding the windshield or skylights?

- - - Updated - - -

The tint on the pano roof is much darker and blocks a good part of the light.
My recollection is that the Model S panoramic roof blocks 98% of visible light and 81% of infrared.

Can any comparisons be made with the panoramic roof? Is it darker compared to limo tint?

They've developed a two-part sunshade for the Model S. They should be able to come up the something for the Model X.

The current shade doesn't match the interior its perforated dark fabric.

sunshades_2x_1024x1024.jpg

Larry

Hi,

the asian force is strong with this family.

:D