Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay we ended up getting the new Model X Sunshade.

I am guessing I am the only one who had trouble installing this thing? I have two clips in (pointing at the rear seats), one clip on each side going into the trim over the visors, and the Tesla logo on the drivers side facing out at the driver. My issue is that the “U” shape does nor fit very well over the mirror. It’s extremely tight (does not fit snugly around the mirror housing and I have seen the magnets from the visors pull it off. Anyone else have issues with this thing and maybe a tip on what they did? Thanks.

Okay we ended up getting the new Model X Sunshade.

I am guessing I am the only one who had trouble installing this thing? I have two clips in (pointing at the rear seats), one clip on each side going into the trim over the visors, and the Tesla logo on the drivers side facing out at the driver. My issue is that the “U” shape does nor fit very well over the mirror. It’s extremely tight (does not fit snugly around the mirror housing and I have seen the magnets from the visors pull it off. Anyone else have issues with this thing and maybe a tip on what they did? Thanks.
Hi, not sure if it would make a difference, but the installation instructions say to have the Tesla logo on the lower RIGHT side, the picture on their site shows it on the lower LEFT, it may make a difference, my model X has not come in yet so I cannot try it myself. If you try it that way and it works better, please let me know so I can try it when mine comes in.

Attachments

• modelx_sunshade_installation.pdf
    1,014 KB · Views: 184
Hi Guys,

I have 3 of these now from different vendors, including Tesla,
and they all fit poorly...
It does not matter whether the Tesla tag is on the right or the left
as the part is symmetric.
The poor fit area is around the triple camera housing...
When it is fit per instructions, the metal hoop or structure
interferes with the magnetic visors attaching to the triple
camera housing.

There is another thread where someone actually broke the windshield
with the magnetic visor while using one of these sun shades.
Please be careful...

One of the aftermarket suppliers has a shade that fits better.
It is "shorter" and does not tangle with the magnetic visors.
I did use a small piece of very small gauge bare wire to fit between
the conduit and the top glass. The ends of the wire were wrapped
around the metal hoop to prevent the front from falling into
my face...

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi Guys,

I have 3 of these now from different vendors, including Tesla,
and they all fit poorly...
It does not matter whether the Tesla tag is on the right or the left
as the part is symmetric.
The poor fit area is around the triple camera housing...
When it is fit per instructions, the metal hoop or structure
interferes with the magnetic visors attaching to the triple
camera housing.

There is another thread where someone actually broke the windshield
with the magnetic visor while using one of these sun shades.
Please be careful...

One of the aftermarket suppliers has a shade that fits better.
It is "shorter" and does not tangle with the magnetic visors.
I did use a small piece of very small gauge bare wire to fit between
the conduit and the top glass. The ends of the wire were wrapped
around the metal hoop to prevent the front from falling into
my face...

Good luck,

Shawn

Thanks. Can you share which aftermarket supplier version has the better fit?

Hi @solardudesf ,

This is very strange.
I bought from WooEv, RPMTesla, and Tesla.
The ones from WooEv were the ones that work.
They have changed their name to Linerx.
They no longer show the sun shade for Model X...

Their shade does not have a cut out for the triple camera.
It stops short of the camera. I used fine wire to suspend the shade
from the housing of the triple camera.

Googling: Sunshades for Tesla Model X
There is one by Talsem that looks Ok.
I prefer a sun shade that does not surround or touch
the triple camera housing.
As I mentioned before, a few have BROKEN their windshields
with the combination of the sun shade around the triple camera
housing and putting the sun visors into position...
Yikes!

Good luck,

Shawn

We are upgrading from a 2018 Model X to a 2023 Model X. We have a Tesla-made glass roof sunshade for the 2018 Model X. Will that fit in the 2023 Model X? I see Tesla has a newer one that says it fits in the 2021+ Model X but was curious if anyone tried it.
Just received the new shade from Tesla fits nicely around the cabin camera module. I was able to use my old 2020 X shade but it covered the camera and would fail FSD checks at night which was bizarre since it worked during the day.

I bought 4 different windshield shades for my 23MX including the official Tealsa one and hands down best one i found is Joauwa one.

Tesla is perorated and still lets in lot of the sun in and you can't fully extend the visors without using excessive s pressure to the point where it feels like it's too much stress on the visors.
Jowua has a reflective side facing out and solid pattern on bottom, no light comes in at all! and it comes with clips that stay mounted on the pillars so no need to unclip them when you want to put the shade away.
If you use Every day Chris's code you get like 10% off but you will have watch one of his accessories videos to get it.

Adding pictures for reference:

1698699740940.jpeg
1698699767202.jpeg

Last edited:
I just purchased the Jowua version based on the above. For me, the Jowua totally sucks. Our trim is not very tight and the clips are pretty crummy, so they do not hold the shade up very well. In addition, the front sags a LOT. First world problems, I know, but have not found one I like so far. The Tesla one does not fit well around the camera housing and the Jowua one does not stay in place very well and sags badly in the front. I think I may try to hold it up with the fine wire as suggested. Does anyone have a photo of where to attach the wire? I am clueless as to where that should go. Is there just a better shade out there that just works nicely out of the box? Sigh.

Hi @solardudesf ,

Sorry for the delay...
I have a picture of my "wire" installation.
The wire is from a manila tag like you might use at a yard sale...

The bare wire is pushed through the fabric spaced at the width of
the camera housing.
The wire is pushed between the glass and the conduit for the wires...
It is tricky to find a spot to push the wire through but there is space
for it where I described...

It is not my typical rocket scientist clean installation but it works
and keeps the inside camera from being covered by the shade...

Good luck,

Shawn
X Shade.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: solardudesf
I just purchased the Jowua version based on the above. For me, the Jowua totally sucks. Our trim is not very tight and the clips are pretty crummy, so they do not hold the shade up very well. In addition, the front sags a LOT. First world problems, I know, but have not found one I like so far. The Tesla one does not fit well around the camera housing and the Jowua one does not stay in place very well and sags badly in the front. I think I may try to hold it up with the fine wire as suggested. Does anyone have a photo of where to attach the wire? I am clueless as to where that should go. Is there just a better shade out there that just works nicely out of the box? Sigh.
The center sagging does not bother me too much as the Jowua blocks out 100% of the sun and i am able to use the visors, unlike the Tesla OEM one. You can also try buying a small suction cup form amazon to help support the middle portion.

Do not buy Tesla OEM sunshade…. As mentioned in the thread, fit is poor and you cannot use the sun visor with it. What is very annoying is the fact that I even showed the Tesla service center the issue and they said nothing was wrong. It ended up cracking my windshield and Tesla refused to cover the windshield repair despite people complaining of this issue. I ended up paying out of pocket to fix my window crack and have a useless sunshade.

For '22 Model X I can tell you what works great:
Buy an aftermarket shade that is slightly short of the camera. Use black Velcro to attach to the glass at 2 points in the back corners + 1 just above the camera ( about 1" square pieces). I sewed one side of the Velcro with black thread to the shade and stuck the other side onto the glass.

The Velcro in the back corners stops the shade from sliding forward when you drag the visor across the front lip of the shade. The one above the camera keeps the shade away from the camera regardless of any motion. I am also using the back and side clips that come with the shade to hold it up (but don't keep the shade from sliding around...)

Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to buy the shade, as the vendor is no longer in business; but from my photos, you can see what I am suggesting. I also have experience with the older style shade which works pretty well in our 2017; however, I can tell that the OEM shade will not work as well on the 22+ models due to the different style camera housing.

Attachments

• Back right corner where velcro is located.jpg
    Back right corner where velcro is located.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Shade removed showing velcro attached to camera housing.jpg
    Shade removed showing velcro attached to camera housing.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Shade relative to camera and interaction with visor.jpg
    Shade relative to camera and interaction with visor.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 40
I have a MX on order and when we did a demo drive the biggest concern was the high windshield and the sun. Haven’t decided if we want to try a dark tint or a shade, so far these comments are making me think tint would be the better option, but I would prefer to use a shade so it can be removed should the windshield need replacement some day. 🤔