Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Roof Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only issue I've had with my sunroof was it developed a rattle in the first week. I already had an appointment for a click sound coming from the back seat so they took care of it at the same time. They knew exactly what the problem was from the sound and fixed it right away. Apparently some tape had come loose and they needed to adjust a tab that the newer vehicles have to help keep the glass more stable.

Like others have said almost every vehicle I've bought has had a sun roof. Never had a problem with any of them.

Like many early cars, my sunroof initially had creaks and a small leak. But Tesla re-installed it the "right" way (however they do it now, though without the robot) and everything has been great since.

As breser pointed out in THIS thread, there may soon be a glass roof option that some of us may find to be the best of both worlds.

We had a couple pretty nasty rain days in January and my P85D Pano roof leaked. Car is brand new and I had fogging of my windows and drops on my forehead a couple of times. Service guys did a great job and found one of the rubber seals was not quite extended far enough and was able to resolve after spending a lot of time watching it while spraying with a hose. All good now , I like it

We had a couple pretty nasty rain days in January and my P85D Pano roof leaked. Car is brand new and I had fogging of my windows and drops on my forehead a couple of times. Service guys did a great job and found one of the rubber seals was not quite extended far enough and was able to resolve after spending a lot of time watching it while spraying with a hose. All good now , I like it

Certainly reassuring to see that the leaky sunroofs managed to survive at least the span of 20k VINs....

I always keep my shade closed on my Acura because it's too bright and hot. Totally different in the MS. I was initially worried about it too.

The blare of the sun would have been the only reason that I would hesitate, so it's good to hear that is not a problem. In FL, I find myself closing the shade to a sunroof when the sun is in my field of view. The light when the sun isn't overhead doesn't bother me, but the sun itself does (even with sunglasses on).

- - - Updated - - -

from MKnox: "And finally, what's up with those cheap, flimsy covers over the roof rack mounts? I've already had one break off when the tiny plastic hinge broke. I actually keep a roll of electrical tape in the car and tape them down whenever I go through a car wash because they always would end up opened up by the blower/dryer and I suspect that's how mine snapped off."

I totally agree! Already had one replaced and looks like the same one will need to be done again.

One thing no one has pointed out is actually the main reason I opted not to get the pano roof: road noise.

I had a sun roof in my last car, and never used it. The rear headroom the pano roof would have offered was not important to me, nor was the ability to add a roof rack. I'm planning on keeping the car a long time, and I'm not going to think about buying an option I don't want because of possible impact on resale value. What was important to me was that the cabin be as quiet as possible. The car is being used largely for a highway drive commute. Everyone I spoke to before buying it acknowledged that while the car was still very quiet with the pano roof, it would be even quieter with the solid roof. So if the quietest cabin possible is important to you, that would be something to consider.

Everyone I spoke to before buying it acknowledged that while the car was still very quiet with the pano roof, it would be even quieter with the solid roof. So if the quietest cabin possible is important to you, that would be something to consider.

I drive about 80% of the time on the freeway (long commute) and have the pano roof. On the occasions where I've had a non-pano roof loaner and driven the same route, I would be hard pressed to tell any difference in sound level (with the roof closed, of course). To me, the Model S actually seems a bit louder than may last ICE car on the highway which I think is due to tire noise and less sound insulation. I don't think the frameless side windows are as sound tight as my last car's triple sealed full framed door windows either.

I wouldn't think the pano would contribute to road noise. Unless you are getting wind noise, which I don't happen to have. At least not that I can hear. That comes from primarily the tires, wheels, suspension and housing around them. Also, so far at least, I don't have any noticeable noise from the windows, which many have reported. Maybe I'm just lucky. But the road noise on the 21's is annoying (and a given...my own fault).