Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon won't stop!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This the second time, and now I can't trust it. I was showing my friend (who was standing with me about 20' in front of my car) how I could pull the car out of it's parking space. I activated summon with my fob, and he was impressed....

until it wouldn't stop. I pressed the top, the back... wildly trying to get it to stop, and it wouldn't! It was headed right for his motorcycle! I ran in front of my car out of reflex to try and push it to stop, but of course, it stopped as soon as I got in front of it and activated the sensors.

WTH??? Started from the fob, but would not stop. Anybody else??

• Informative
Reactions: MS16 and gowthamn
Started from the fob, but would not stop.
I have only tried Summon by using the Tesla app on my iPhone (in an area with good cell reception) and it worked correctly.

Good to know that touching the door handles stops the car. And of course standing in the way will stop it as well since the ultrasonics will detect you. The car is moving so slowly that I do not consider that a risky thing to do.

until it wouldn't stop. I pressed the top, the back... wildly trying to get it to stop, and it wouldn't! It was headed right for his motorcycle! I ran in front of my car out of reflex to try and push it to stop, but of course, it stopped as soon as I got in front of it and activated the sensors.

Not to be too judgmental, but maybe next time you fear a car is out of control, it would be best to let it hit the inanimate object

Reactions: timvracer
It does sound like the culprit is probably a low battery in the fob or interference with the signal. I haven't had any issues with summon on my car like that, and I use it pretty much every day twice a day when I pull it into and out of my garage.

My fob is pretty new (car delivered in late March), so I am guessing it is my security fob that is on the same keychain interfering with the Tesla fob. I also have issues sometimes with it recognizing me when I walk up to the car. I just hate to separate my work fob, because I am guaranteed to lose it... but alas, I may have to do that to remove the interference.

My fob is pretty new (car delivered in late March), so I am guessing it is my security fob that is on the same keychain interfering with the Tesla fob. I also have issues sometimes with it recognizing me when I walk up to the car. I just hate to separate my work fob, because I am guaranteed to lose it... but alas, I may have to do that to remove the interference.

Tim - I believe you have absolutely narrowed down the problem. I have had numerous interference problems if I had a cell phone in my pocket next to the fob as well as attaching my truck fob to the same keychain. Um...so I stopped that. I make sure the Tesla fob has a battery less than 6 months age however I keep it AWAY from other fobs, cell phones, secret ray guns (kidding), etc. You are smart to remove any possible close encounter interference.

how do you summon with the fob? I've only used the app.

New Activation Mode for Summon
Summon has a new mode that requires you to press and hold a button in the Tesla mobile app to operate the feature. This mode is enabled by default. You can disable this mode by selecting NO for the REQUIRE CONTINUOUS PRESS setting. When you do so, more convenient ways to park and retrieve your vehicle become available:

• Automatically initiate Autopark after you exit the vehicle: Simply doublepress the Park button on the end of the gear selector and a popup will appear on the touchscreen that displays the direction Model S will move after you exit the vehicle. You can change the direction Model S will travel by tapping the othera rrow. Press the CANCEL button on the popup to cancel Autopark.
  • Autopark or retrieve Model S with a single tap of the button in the Tesla mobile app.
  • Use the key fob to Autopark or retrieve Model S: Press and hold the center button on the key fob until the hazard lights flash continuously. While the hazard lights are flashing, press the frunk button once on the key fob to drive Model S forward into the parking space or the trunk button once on the key fob to back Model S into the parking space. Model S will move up to 39 feet or until the sensors detect an obstacle, at which point parking is considered completed and the car will shift to Park.

• Informative
Reactions: bak_phy
I demo'd an X a few weeks ago for the weekend. The first time I tried to test Summon into my garage, I parked the car in front of the opening to my garage, initiated Summon to pull in, and it literally turned the wheels into the brick on the edge of my garage. It hit. I stopped it as quickly as I could, but left scratches on the front bumper. Offered to make an insurance claim, but the Ownership Advisor was good about everything. He told me to try it again... wife thought I was crazy, but I did it. 4 times it veered into the edge and I stopped it before it hit. I video'd one of the attempts and sent it to the OA, who got service involved, and ultimately they sent the video off to engineering. Crazy! Needless to say, at least it was a demo car, not the one I own!

• Informative
Reactions: Mickie
Can you post the video here or send a pic of your garage? It would be interesting to see what happened.

I was hesitant to post these publicly, but I have nothing bad to say about Tesla (I ended up buying one!) and only wish to help engineering figure out whatever happened in this situation. It was most definitely a bug, and repeatable. Happened once when it actually hit, and I was able to recreate it 4 more times (video'd the last attempt). The vehicle started straight onto the garage opening before cutting into the garage door side and did not stop.

https://goo.gl/photos/64tFzktRPKwjNVL5A

There are pics included in that album, as well. To show you inside, outside, and the scratch on the bumper.

Opinions welcome... The only other possibility is that the car had a hardware issue (faulty sensor or something).

Yeah, that is really odd. I was thinking that maybe it was hitting something that was jutting out that it didn’t see with it’s sensors, but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t have seen the side of the garage there. Your thought about a bad sensor may be right. It would have been very interesting to see what it showed on the dashboard as you approached the garage... whether the wall showed up or if it somehow didn’t see it.

Summon has an option for standard or tight clearance. Setting it to tight allows it to try to stay closer to the walls and if it wasn’t set to tight it may have been trying to turn to avoid the wall on the left, however that still shouldn’t cause it to run into something. It should still detect the wall on the right and stop before it hits it.

Out of curiosity, have you tried to use summon with your new car? It would be interesting to see if that one behaves differently in the same situation, which could also point to faulty hardware of some type in the loaner car.

Yeah, that is really odd. I was thinking that maybe it was hitting something that was jutting out that it didn’t see with it’s sensors, but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t have seen the side of the garage there. Your thought about a bad sensor may be right. It would have been very interesting to see what it showed on the dashboard as you approached the garage... whether the wall showed up or if it somehow didn’t see it.

Summon has an option for standard or tight clearance. Setting it to tight allows it to try to stay closer to the walls and if it wasn’t set to tight it may have been trying to turn to avoid the wall on the left, however that still shouldn’t cause it to run into something. It should still detect the wall on the right and stop before it hits it.

Out of curiosity, have you tried to use summon with your new car? It would be interesting to see if that one behaves differently in the same situation, which could also point to faulty hardware of some type in the loaner car.

In the loaner, summon was set to tight fit...

I have not yet taken delivery of mine yet, so I'll have to report back on that.