Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll adjust downward, but not upward, based on the speed limit, and only on non-highway. Nothing more.
I've had my car adjust up.
Scenareo, I was on an interstate with construction, so set at 65 in what is burned a 75 zone but today is signed at 60.
Went over another interstate on an overpass, car as soon as we got on top of the other road the car dropped the hammer and I looked down and it was set to 80, which would be 5 over the other highway's 75mph limit

I've had my car adjust up.
Scenareo, I was on an interstate with construction, so set at 65 in what is burned a 75 zone but today is signed at 60.
Went over another interstate on an overpass, car as soon as we got on top of the other road the car dropped the hammer and I looked down and it was set to 80, which would be 5 over the other highway's 75mph limit
I've seen something similar on C-470. I'll have it set to 60 and it will drop to 35 and then be set to 70. This started with the latest update last month. Before that, it would go from 60 to 35 and back to 60.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I've seen something similar on C-470. I'll have it set to 60 and it will drop to 35 and then be set to 70. This started with the latest update last month. Before that, it would go from 60 to 35 and back to 60.

This was on e-470 over I-70.
I've had the slow down because the car thinks you just took the exit thing, especially on Pena near the airport. But I've never seen the car hammer it thinking it needs to speed up.
It only did it once, even though I drive that road a couple times a week.

The car can and does get the speed limit wrong all the time. It's quite annoying.

But... the car never accelerates to a higher speed just based on a change in speed limit. You'd have to disengage and re-engage for this to be the case (with the new setting based on your set speed offset) or manually bump the speed upward.

Hmmmm, wait a second there. Yup, I have experience cases where it gets the speed limit wrong. However, my car DOES accelerate to a higher speed based on the speed limit. There is a 2 mile street of road (two way undivided traffic) where the speed limit drops from 45 mph to 35 for a stretch of about 1/2 mile then goes back to 45. EVERY TIME, my MX slows to 35 and then when past that stretch of road, it goes back up to 45. Quite nice. I'm on version 2019.40.2.1, but it has been working this way for 2 versions before that.

This was on e-470 over I-70.
I've had the slow down because the car thinks you just took the exit thing, especially on Pena near the airport. But I've never seen the car hammer it thinking it needs to speed up.
It only did it once, even though I drive that road a couple times a week.
Try C-470 eastbound at Santa Fe (60 mph->50 mph->70 mph) or C-470 westbound at Platte Canyon (60 mph->35 mph->70 mph) and you'll see it happen every time. :(

The human brain is a strange and fickle thing. When you get into a panic situation, things that seem extremely simple are suddenly quite simply beyond immediate comprehension. In this "mode", your headmeat is screaming at you "FOOT DOWN STOP CAR"; anything contrary to this will very likely be ignored or "thought around".
yes, you got a good point about that. Hard to think clearly under pressure for some people. And your avatar seems to also clearly indicate that :D

Not good news... Tesla under scrutiny over 127 claims of 'sudden unintended acceleration' - Electrek

Several claims of sudden unintended acceleration involving Tesla vehicles have been made public over the years. The most publicized one involved a South Korean celebrity claiming his Model X accelerated on its own into his garage. We also reported last year on a Chinese couple driving their Tesla into a river and claiming it accelerated on its own

In every case, including that one, Tesla claimed that the car’s log showed that it was a user mistake due to pedal misapplication. In one case, we were even able to have Tesla’s log be verified by a third-party and it supported the automaker’s claims that it showed the driver pressed on the accelerator.

• Disagree
Reactions: TheOtherPete
It clearly isn't "good" News. But it also isn't really *any* news.

There are things that Tesla could do much better. This isn't one of them. Until we can take the driver out of the equation, we really can't save the drivers from themselves.

Really, did you read the article... the NHTSA investigation is news. Let's hope that ODI denies the petition. :cool:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said today that it is looking into claims that Tesla vehicles have a defect leading to ‘sudden unintended acceleration’ after receiving a petition citing 127 claimed incidents. NHTSA said that it received the petition last month and confirmed that its Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) will be looking into the claims. According to the petition, they have 127 complaints, including 110 that involved crashes and 52 that resulted in injuries. NHTSA reported today:

“On December 19, 2019, the Office of Defects Investigation received a defect petition by email requesting a defect investigation of alleged sudden unintended acceleration in model year 2012 through 2019 Tesla Model S, MY 2016 through 2019 Tesla Model X, and MY 2018 through 2019 Tesla Model 3 vehicles. In support of his request, the petitioner cited 127 consumer complaints to NHTSA involving 123 unique vehicles. The reports include 110 crashes and 52 injuries. A copy of the petition will be added to the public file for this defect petition and ODI will evaluate the petitioner’s allegations to determine if the petition should be granted or denied. If the petition is granted, ODI will open a defect investigation; if the petition is denied, ODI will publish a notice in the Federal Register.”

• Disagree
Reactions: TheOtherPete
Reading the comments on this thread is disappointing and a little frightening.

The automatic, and in some case forcefully expressed opinion that "it's always driver error" is uninformed and dangerous.
In the infamous case of Toyota - the root problem was found to be insufficient error checking and handling within the electronic systems...similar in many ways to the unfortunate situation with the 737 Max. Electronic systems can and do have errors.

Do driver errors happen? Yes. Are the majority of cases due to driver error? Yes. Does that preclude problems with the vehicle? Absolutely not, and to deny that possibility costs lives. Not hypothetical lives - real documented deaths due to failures in electronic control systems in vehicles.

I'ts not whether these problems occur - man has yet to design a failure-proof system of any kind. It's how errors are addressed that matters. I'm very happy to own a Tesla because it's highly probable that - in the slim chance a problem is found - it can be solved with a software update.

If you'd like more background on this topic, check out the Radiolab episode "Bit Flip"

127 idiots, In an EV many people hit the wrong peddle in fact guess how many do it in an ICE yearly. Many more but you don't hear about it because it's not in the national news and those that do think it's the brake and press harder, Some of these 127 also claim their EV went into their living room while no one was even in the car and it was off. That's about all one needs to know about this because we all know that cars turn on, go into drive, and floor it on their own. For those wondering, anyone that got a new S likely has heard the beep sound when hitting the brake and the accel pedal at the same time even though they swear they are not doing it. More fear mongering.

127 idiots, In an EV many people hit the wrong peddle in fact guess how many do it in an ICE yearly. Many more but you don't hear about it because it's not in the national news and those that do think it's the brake and press harder, Some of these 127 also claim their EV went into their living room while no one was even in the car and it was off. That's about all one needs to know about this because we all know that cars turn on, go into drive, and floor it on their own. For those wondering, anyone that got a new S likely has heard the beep sound when hitting the brake and the accel pedal at the same time even though they swear they are not doing it. More fear mongering.

I agree... driver error is the root cause. Did the new Model S get a software update with dual pedal beep?

The automatic, and in some case forcefully expressed opinion that "it's always driver error" is uninformed and dangerous.
In the infamous case of Toyota - the root problem was found to be insufficient error checking and handling within the electronic systems...similar in many ways to the unfortunate situation with the 737 Max. Electronic systems can and do have errors.

Do driver errors happen? Yes. Are the majority of cases due to driver error? Yes. Does that preclude problems with the vehicle? Absolutely not, and to deny that possibility costs lives. Not hypothetical lives - real documented deaths due to failures in electronic control systems in vehicles.

I'ts not whether these problems occur - man has yet to design a failure-proof system of any kind. It's how errors are addressed that matters. I'm very happy to own a Tesla because it's highly probable that - in the slim chance a problem is found - it can be solved with a software update.

If you'd like more background on this topic, check out the Radiolab episode "Bit Flip"
@wk057 has explained how the pedal work. He also has extended an offer of (last I checked) 100k for anyone that has a vehicle where the safety systems actually have failed (instead of pedal misapplication). I don’t think anyone has claimed said prize yet. It is why most of us are pretty sure people are pressing accelerator by accident.

It is not uninformed. What's dangerous is blaming the car for something that the people are doing. Because when that happens, the problem persists, and more property is damaged and more people are injured. Perhaps it is time for a change in user interface? Perhaps it is time for better driver training? Perhaps we should try to reduce the problem instead of chasing the red herring of blaming the car's controls that are not responsible for this.

Last edited: