Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would have been the boilerplate response text if they would have checked my battery (received by other owner going through the process...):

Battery-Check-Result.png

Oh wait, that could not have been the answer since MY battery never had 85 kWh. I only own a battery that has a sticker that states 85 kWh. Must have been an intern glueing it on.

Reactions: gmo43 and Droschke
At the end of the day, most people in this thread don't care. Tesla shareholder meeting came and went. No shareholder proposals to replace affected batteries. Anyone in this thread who is also a shareholder could have put together a stockholder proposal regarding this issue to present at the meeting. There are some very wealthy and connected people here. Yet nobody did anything. That tells me everything I need to know.

I am contemplating whether to also file actions against Tesla about my #chargegated S85. Long-distance travel is a no-go, add 3 1/2 hours charging on a 1000km trip to a long drive at it is. My GF is no longer willing to take the Tesla. Even our (old) dog is annoyed by the long and frequent stops. Hence we take a rented / borrowed Diesel car for these trips.

To get the ball rolling I sent a letter of complaint via registered mail to Tesla Switzerland in Zurich. After a few days already I received a call from the local Service Center. They told me, they would like to run a thorough diagnosis on my battery. I will get an eMail to which I shall reply to with dates that fit my schedule. This eMail never showed up. Instead I received a letter, also via certified mail, from my local SeC.

This letter seems to be the official answer to such inquiries, now - since I know of another owner who received the same letter. I translated it from German language to English language. The German language text looks to me also being (badly) translated to from another language, most likely English, since it has some (technical) wording which just does not make sense.

We refer to your letter xxx in which you state that the charge curve was lowered after a software update.
Tesla vehicles are unique in that Tesla continually strives to improve its vehicles by releasing regular software updates for a variety of reasons. Tesla regularly releases software updates that allow owners to benefit from a variety of free after-sales vehicle upgrades, including updates that give the vehicle new features and improved performance and functionality.

In May 2019, Tesla introduced a new fast charge profile that is aligned with the additional cell physics understanding Tesla has gained through research and analysis over the past 5 years. The new profile educes cone current and is more 'temperature sensitive' than the previous profile. As a result, quick-charge times increased minimally (2 minutes) for optimal conditions, while at a colder initial temperature, quick-charge times increased by up to 15 minutes. This change is a continuous effort to optimize charge, battery performance and life, and your vehicle remains safe.

The latest update of the Tesla User Manuals contains additional information about the peak charge rate of the battery (page 171 Model S/page 203 Model X/page 182 Model 3): "The peak charge rate of the battery may decrease slightly after many rapid charging operations with DC power, such as on superchargers. To ensure maximum range and battery safety, the charging rate is reduced when the battery is too cold, when the battery is almost fully charged or when the condition of the battery changes due to use and wear. These changes in battery condition are caused by the physical characteristics of the battery and over time can increase the total duration of the supercharging process by a few minutes.

Tesla is committed to providing its customers with the safest and best vehicles available. Through regular software updates, Tesla will continue to improve, enhance and maximize the performance and safety of its vehicles. In particular, we are making improvements to preheat the battery in version 2020.8. This will ensure that more charging processes begin with your battery at the optimum temperature. These heating changes will reduce the average charging time for customers by 5 minutes, offsetting the profile change in version 2019.20. As we continue to learn from our vehicles, we will continue to work to optimize charging, battery performance and durability over time for all our vehicles.

Thanks for posting.

Is your model S battery capped as well? What model year is it?

Funny thing is I have emailed and mailed Tesla many letters and reported to service about chargate, batterygate and drain gate. They treat you like you just bought a model 3 and know nothing about your car. But yeah nevermind me driving it for 6 years now. Smh
If tesla admitted anything they would be open to major lawsuits and possible end to thier company.

Reactions: InternetDude
With the recent cash raise, Tesla could afford to replace plenty of old batteries; Could even afford to offer it to customers for $5000 at a loss.

Just start a program, and stretch it over the years so the cost will be gradual.
Could have even bumped up the fee to FCA for EV credits by 0.1% to cover it.

In the real world they should pay 3rd party shops a fee to install it so they dont have to worry about. Obviously with training, manuals, videos etc.

What? Other people are having this too? I thought it was just sensors in my car. I get those wrong messages every time I park the car now.

OT (sorry)
Seems fairly common for owners of all age cars. Doing the recalibration (must use the driver's controls) appears to halt the errors for a while (a few days?). I think that as soon as you use the windows, they lose calibration and start giving messages. Window gate!

Sort-of off-topic, but related. NHTSA has opened an investigation into possible battery fires in the Chevy Bolt, after there were only two complaints: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INOA-PE20016-7505.PDF (They found evidence of a third fire in an insurance auction yard.)

Of course one difference is that there was one injury, smoke inhalation, reported by the driver of one of the vehicles.

So now we have possible battery fires being investigated/recalled by Chevy and Hyundai, both who use battery packs made by LG.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: fbitz777
There’s a thread on that. also, the EPA measures kWh from the wall, not the battery. So, efficiency losses in charging are why the number doesn’t add up to 100

Sorry I saw that thread after I posted....still the range of the old X100 (now LR?) went from 296 to 371mi for $21000 less. Hard for me to believe that the battery is not bigger.

I think Tesla is going to wear out early adopters on this thread ; hard for me not to upgrade from my under 200mi range car.

2021 Model X, Monroney Sticker Range Increase

I submitted a FOIA request on this case with the nhtsa since no updates have been provide when I requested via email.

Requested all info pertaining to case, case updates/progress, and internal messaging using email, skype, teams. Got a response back. Will likely take over a year to process request due to backlog of FOIA requests...

It was worth a try! But dont they have a limit on how late they can be or be fined?