Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no intent implied it's a statement of fact. Tesla overstated the capabilities of 4.2v packs, by about the degree they felt they had to cap products they had sold with uncapped capabilities.

Not sure when it is supposed to become "purposeful". If you sell a product and hype it up marketing wise to look like one of a kind then, yes, it is purposeful. I believe they knew about the pros and cons of pushing the limits. They took the risk, by favoring the hype, and we are where we are.

The difference is important-- knowingly selling a product that you knew beforehand was defective is fraud. I don't think that was the case. I think they believe they thought could push the envelope with a smart enough BMS. They apparently were wrong. The warranty is our hedge against things not going as planned. They should honor it. It doesn't have to be much more complicated.

I learned a coworker got a stealth performance 3 over the holidays. I told him I suggest that he limit supercharging and only do it when necessary. He blew me off and said he will just use it and charge however he wants and didn't care. Yes he knows I used to have a Tesla and I am the one who convinced him they were so great. Just wow.

• Funny
Reactions: gmo43
And WHERE is that written??? I have never even heard that proposed as a theory.

Because you never heard of it, it must not be true. I guess that makes it fact.

I read of an issue on this forum of someone that was aborting his scheduled charge and hour early everyday and ran into problems. I forget what problems were, degradation or what. He brought it to service and they saw errors / warning basically detecting “poor” charging. He was told stop that practice.

Made perfect sense to me and I knew better before I read it. But it helped confirm common sense.

You can do what ever you like to your battery.

It’s also been discussed in other threads that it not good to regularly abort charging.

See if you can set him up with logging and show him on the graph when he gets capped. it will probably take a while, but I don't think they have a fix yet otherwise we would have heard about it from Tesla.

@mswlogo Nobody has heard of what you're talking about because it's not real. tesla has had some problems with batteries lately but they aren't as incompetent as your claim. We'd like to know if they are in fact that bad at battery management if you can share something real. If you want to change the minds of people interested in the science behind what you're talking about you need to do more than tell a good story.

I learned a coworker got a stealth performance 3 over the holidays. I told him I suggest that he limit supercharging and only do it when necessary. He blew me off and said he will just use it and charge however he wants and didn't care. Yes he knows I used to have a Tesla and I am the one who convinced him they were so great. Just wow.

Newer cell chemistry may not have the same issues.

Roadster to S was a large jump in energy density, plus a different chemistry. S to Model 3 was no increase in energy density, possibly a slight decrease at the cell level. That suggests to me Tesla traded off some potential increase in energy density for another parameter, which I'm guessing was longevity. Roadsters never supercharged, S/X did, some quite extensively, like Tesloop's vehicles, and their X90's have gone over 300K miles on original packs. I think any assumption that all S/X packs, and Model 3 packs, will be similarly affected as those in this thread may be flawed.

Last edited:
See if you can set him up with logging and show him on the graph when he gets capped. it will probably take a while, but I don't think they have a fix yet otherwise we would have heard about it from Tesla.

@mswlogo Nobody has heard of what you're talking about because it's not real. tesla has had some problems with batteries lately but they aren't as incompetent as your claim. We'd like to know if they are in fact that bad at battery management if you can share something real. If you want to change the minds of people interested in the science behind what you're talking about you need to do more than tell a good story.

Please stop with the insults already. If you have to use insults to make your posts valid to Yourself and others it really shows your true colors.

I’m sharing what I read recently on the forum of a problem, a cause and a solution shared from his service center.

I’m ignoring you from here on because I don’t waste time with folks like you. life it to short to put up with folks like you and you only drag the community down to your level.

And I will hit report as well.

Ba bye.

Jason Hughes has been talking about how balancing works in the S/X batteries a few times. In a more recent post he mentioned that from the beginning to now the BMS has made leaps forward in terms of balancing. It happens all the time and is not dependent of certain charge procedures or battery levels. He mentioned he saw it getting active before the cells got out of balance, which means the system knows what will bring cells out of balance and starts counter acting right away to keep them in balance rather than waiting, measuring and then acting. All these analogies to RC batteries are meaningless. Tesla's system is on a completely different level.

analogies to RC batteries are meaningless.

I made one such comment, but only to suggest (without knowing what Tesla do to maintain cell balance) that interrupting a process could be problematic. Only balancing fully at high soc would also have issues so I'm very happy if they have got around that.

However, I'm still not convinced that regular interrupting of charging could not cause problems. Any links to Jason Hughes' comments?

Last edited:
It’s also been discussed in other threads that it not good to regularly abort charging.

I’m sharing what I read recently on the forum of a problem, a cause and a solution shared from his service center.

Would someone be able to share link to this. I suspect I've read the posts, but not sure.

Or someone not blocked by mswlogo ask for additional info?

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
The difference is important-- knowingly selling a product that you knew beforehand was defective is fraud. I don't think that was the case. I think they believe they thought could push the envelope with a smart enough BMS. They apparently were wrong. The warranty is our hedge against things not going as planned. They should honor it. It doesn't have to be much more complicated.
I tend to agree, it’s not deliberate. I think they genuinely believed they could push the envelope and get it to work. Elon has history of doing exactly that. But the risk hasn’t worked. And we now have an increasing number of cars that are slowly being strangled in an effort to tackle the problem.

But I don’t put the blame on BMS. After all, all cars have the same software. And for, I think, the majority of cars, the BMS works just fine. It does what it says on the tin. It protects the battery from the dangers of DCFC. But obviously that’s not the case for those cars that are affected by batterygate, or chargegate. Therefore the issue can only be the car, and very probably the battery. Despite the best efforts of BMS, something has gone wrong. Our batteries are not able to cope. So there is an issue with our batteries. Perhaps it is still only an issue, and not, yet, a problem. But in any case that can only be a hardware issue. If so, that can only be a Warranty problem. And it’s not correct to try and dodge the bullet by calling it degradation. It’s certainly not degradation. And trying to say the capping is to prevent further degradation ignores the point that using Tesla's own equipment seems to have done the damage, on some batteries, but not all. If the damage is selective that means our batteries are inferior to all the others.

Last edited:

That’s an interesting point. I am trying, unsuccessfully, to work out why aborting a charge might have a detrimental effect. Can any of the battery techs shed any light? It is not something I regularly do, but if I have plugged into a Type 2 AC Chargepoint for 2-3 hours whilst doing something (shopping, cinema, meal etc), invariably when I get back I have to abort the charge. But would I be better setting a lower charge limit in the car rather than just stopping the charge when I return? If so, why please?

• Helpful
Reactions: Guy V
That’s an interesting point. I am trying, unsuccessfully, to work out why aborting a charge might have a detrimental effect. Can any of the battery techs shed any light? It is not something I regularly do, but if I have plugged into a Type 2 AC Chargepoint for 2-3 hours whilst doing something (shopping, cinema, meal etc), invariably when I get back I have to abort the charge. But would I be better setting a lower charge limit in the car rather than just stopping the charge when I return? If so, why please?

I unplug on free charge points too occasionally and take what I can get. This person was doing it every morning. He didn’t care if his battery was at target he didn’t want charge to finish early so he set it well past his leave time to assure it was charging when he left every day. Sorry I could not find the thread. Just listen to the experts here they know everything.