Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how can you tell if both are opening? sometimes my car sounds like a jet when SC.

Just look at the two side vents on the front of your car. I had one that went bad and was like that for 6 months and I couldn't charge past 70KW. The first Tesla service center, Fremont, insisted nothing was wrong because there was no error displayed on my screen. I went next to Dublin and before even leaving when dropping off the car, they said they'd checked the logs and saw louver alerts for months.

They replaced the passenger side louver and charging speed returned to normal.

Just look at the two side vents on the front of your car. I had one that went bad and was like that for 6 months and I couldn't charge past 70KW. The first Tesla service center, Fremont, insisted nothing was wrong because there was no error displayed on my screen. I went next to Dublin and before even leaving when dropping off the car, they said they'd checked the logs and saw louver alerts for months.

They replaced the passenger side louver and charging speed returned to normal.

Sorka, are both louvers supposed to open every time you supercharge no matter what the outside temperature is?

Reactions: Guy V
Just to be certain do you always look at the SC connector before connecting to your car? I have the battery and suckgate as well and have had extremely slow charging when the super charge connectors were broken off on the tips or it was cracked. So now i always check to be certain that the connector is not broke. Another implication is now they are limiting charging to 80% if there are numerous cars charging at the station. Just a point i thought i would bring up.
I've looked at this particular one each time I plug in. And this one is 14 stalls and there is hardly anyone ever there. No one was sharing a post with me. But appreciate the PSA on checking the plugs. Everyone should do that for safety's sake!

Sorka, are both louvers supposed to open every time you supercharge no matter what the outside temperature is?

No. But if you're fans are screaming in the summer then yes.

What's worse is that it does a system check and if the car determines a louver is stuck, you won't get full charging even in the winter when it is cold and the louver would never have fully opened anyways. So if you have the issue and it isn't warm enough to open them, then you can't tell until it's warm enough to run your fans high where you can see they aren't opening.

So, the fans can still be running even when the louvers are broken, correct?

I've never seen seen the fans running with the louvers closed except when I had a defective louver. Is it possible they were running really slow and I just didn't hear them with the louvers closed? Possibly.

I was told in Dublin that this is a really common problem that is often never diagnosed unless the logs are specifically checked for this.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
I've never seen seen the fans running with the louvers closed except when I had a defective louver. Is it possible they were running really slow and I just didn't hear them with the louvers closed? Possibly.

I was told in Dublin that this is a really common problem that is often never diagnosed unless the logs are specifically checked for this.

Thanks. Trying to see if something else might be wrong besides the Chargegate fiasco ... 40 KW supercharging is embarrassing for the brand.

o_O

Couldn't resist to challenge yet another disinformation:

Here are some snippies for your knowledge, all tagged as Off Topic:
snippiness
snippiness
snippiness
snippiness
Ironically my post gets moved to snippiness yet all I do is quote your message and post a 10 second video without attacking anyone.

To keep this on point, Supercharged yesterday and got an additional 2 miles again. Net loss now is 21 miles after 2019.16.x firmware. I noticed the last time it did a calculating at the end but this time it did not.

Ironically my post gets moved to snippiness yet all I do is quote your message and post a 10 second video without attacking anyone.

To keep this on point, Supercharged yesterday and got an additional 2 miles again. Net loss now is 21 miles after 2019.16.x firmware. I noticed the last time it did a calculating at the end but this time it did not.
No change in mine in 2 weeks except losing 2 miles from the whopping 10 that they gave back after taking 50.
So net loss from new is still 42 miles, from what it was pre update is still down 33 miles :(
Also, Supercharging is even slower now :(

did they cap your battery or do you still have most of your range?
No, I still have all my range. They just slowed the max charge rate down and made the taper very aggressive.

You have a V3 90 pack??? Are both your cooling louvers opening up when you supercharge? If one isn't you won't get any kind of error displayed but your charging will be limited to 65KW to 70KW after the first minute or so.
Probably a V1, though I'm guessing. The car was new in March 2016, shortly after the 90's first came out (I think), with whatever pack was being produced at that time.

No, I still have all my range. They just slowed the max charge rate down and made the taper very aggressive.

Probably a V1, though I'm guessing. The car was new in March 2016, shortly after the 90's first came out (I think), with whatever pack was being produced at that time.
Definitely not a V1. V1 was 2012 and some early 2013

No change in mine in 2 weeks except losing 2 miles from the whopping 10 that they gave back after taking 50.
So net loss from new is still 42 miles, from what it was pre update is still down 33 miles :(
Also, Supercharging is even slower now :(
You have to consider that I haven't been on a new firmware update for over 1.5mos. I went from 19.24.4 (Jul 24) to 19.32.2.2 (Sep 18) because my car was unable to communicate to Tesla and pushing firmware updates OTA didn't work until I took the car in. Two Supercharges since this update and gained 4 miles total.

I noticed that. They do it for safety reason, similar to "Protect and Prolong" ;)

Mine fluctuates each time, like cha-cha, 2 miles forward, 2 miles backward.

• Informative
The hell of all this is that Tesla was much more open about issues with the batteries and drive systems until just a few years ago. They never talked a lot about upcoming software updates, but when customers reported issues with the drive systems Tesla spoke ore-or-less openly about those issues and their efforts to fix them.
Ever since they started wholesale throttling of charging rates a couple years ago, they've really clammed up about everything.
Their data must be indicating a severe and wide-spread problem with the aging batteries for them to be so afraid of discussing the issues now.