Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm suspicious that Tesla is nervous about creating new vehicle variants. Once they start putting newer gen batteries into old cars, they are creating new hardware combinations that never existed before, and that increases the number of combinations that have to be tested prior to pushing out new software.

I may be wrong... just a suspicion.
If Tesla tested hardware combinations before releasing code that might be important. We test it for them, in the wild. Especially older cars like the ones impacted here.

Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
Sorry but a new to all this having an electrical/mechanical back ground, to me that this on going software is different just seems so wrong, if you buy something and some one takes it off you with out you'r knowledge, its stealing. Know mater what premise they try to hide behind.
And Safety is Subjective. when it comes to money believe me their money people are looking at the company's safety before your's.

Safety is not related to the missing range. It can't be, because if it was there would have been recalls and bulletins. They can't keep safety risks hidden from us legally and updates don't reach all cars, especially the people that intentionally don't update. Imagine if t he takata recall was handled like this; many more people would have died.

The latest 100 kWh battery will fit and work just fine in an old Model S from 2012. The battery and car are designed for that. Tesla has just been very reluctant. As far as I know they only allow same size batteries and they charge a ridiculous price while demanding the old battery back. A Tesla battery pack is worth $12-$18k on the market.

I thought the front of the 100 battery extended up a little more due to the higher cell count and that it wouldn't fit in an 85 exactly without some modification to the car.

Was looking at a new model S and used chat feature to communicate with Tesla asked them why they changed battery dynamics of older 85's. I also asked what guarantees I have from them changing the capacity of the battery and range in the future. He answered my first question with " It was never our intention to reduce range, it was an update to improve thermal management for our older batteries.

He answered the second with "We periodically update vehicles to ensure they are as safe and high-functioning as possible.
  • At the end of the day, we reserve the right to update vehicle software if we become aware of issues that compromise functionality or safety.

Last edited:
I pulled the fuse of the rear left door handle. I afterwards started the 2019.28.2 update and it failed after 7 minutes.
So in case anyone wants to do the same, the fuse is located here (brown, 5A), remember it's best to pull the fuse when the handle is retracted ;-)

I wonder if the reason v9 hasn't installed on me is because I leave the drivers door open 100% the time I'm at home to reduce wear and tear cycles on the handle? I do keep the car locked at work but has anyone reported a force install during the day? I'll bet Tesla isn't doing that.

Tesla has installed 90kWH battery packs in 85s in the past, there are some examples of P90s out there once the packs where changed.

Actually P85DL's get 90 packs now. 85 packs where never manufactured with 1500 amp fuses. For a while, they took 1350 amp 85 packs and retrofitted the pyro fuse and inconel contactors but they ran out of those so now they only do V3 90 packs on P85DL replacements.

I thought the front of the 100 battery extended up a little more due to the higher cell count and that it wouldn't fit in an 85 exactly without some modification to the car.

Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack

The 100 battery has the same external dimensions and same connector to the car. All Model S and X batteries are the same dimensions and interchangeable.

Of course the firmware in the car need to be updated to reflect the battery it's using.

Thanks for the info. Could you also check again in a few days? It seems like for those affected who get software updates it takes a while for the BMS to change the cell voltages.

Drove for 40 miles then charged using HPWC set to 64 amp charge rate. My 89% range was 201 miles, a 1-2 mile improvement from before.

Watching Remote S (now called Tesla Remote) during the charging process, I noticed that the app kept indicating different battery capacities, which it had never done before. That is, prior to the latest s/w update, the app indicated my battery capacity as being 66 kWh (it was 74 kWh before 2929.16.x). While charging after the latest update was installed, the indicated battery capacity repeatedly varied between 66 kWh and 70 kWh, ultimately settling on 67 kWh and the 1-2 mile increased range. I wonder whether repeated charging operations will eventually result in an indicated battery capacity of 70 kWh, although this would still be 4 kWh less than the battery had before this whole mess started.

My range is still slowly recovering, 2014 S60, rated has gone from 160 to 168, typical 202 to 212. I monitor via CANBUS every morning, and evening and see a 0.2kWh increase over the day (0.1kWh increments). Still 20 miles to go before I reach my pre 2019.16.x range !

You lost 42-52 miles of range on an S60????????

What's your average cell voltage at say 90%?

The stock app works fine. So the car is connected. Teslafi responded and said that they deployed a new version of the data logger that should fix it...

But it's still not working :(

OK, it just took some time but it's back up and running now. Still don't know if it was specific to me having v8. My guess is that Teslafi made a change that broke compatibility with v8 and then had to undo it or walk it back somehow.

Was looking at a new model S and used chat feature to communicate with Tesla asked them why they changed battery dynamics of older 85's. I also asked what guarantees I have from them changing the capacity of the battery and range in the future. He answered my first question with " It was never our intention to reduce range, it was an update to improve thermal management for our older batteries.

He answered the second with "We periodically update vehicles to ensure they are as safe and high-functioning as possible.
  • At the end of the day, we reserve the right to update vehicle software if we become aware of issues that compromise functionality or safety.

So basically if they need to cap the batteries range from 40% to 60% (i.e. a total of 80%), then they're fine with that?:mad:

• Funny
Reactions: Droschke
So basically if they need to cap the batteries range from 40% to 60% (i.e. a total of 80%), then they're fine with that?:mad:
The funny thing was they said for thermal management little different. And yes it’s troubling they say they can change the batteries this should be included in the suit against them that any changes to the battery range or performance should be explained first and over a certain % reduction owners be reimbursed.

Tesla almost feels like they think they are renting us a piece of equipment and think it’s not truly ours their sense of ownership is F’up.