Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struggling to decide on which Model S CPO to go for...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've finally decided to join the club and upgrade my current BMW 535i to a Tesla. The problem is I keep going back and forth with which version of the Model S to get. I've read through plenty of threads on here comparing various versions and still can't make up my mind, so I was hoping some banter here may help me with you experts.

I mentioned in another post that I helped my mom secure a great deal on a P85 a year ago. I've driven her car often and love the ridiculous acceleration, even though the tail seems to lose traction if you floor it too hard. At one point she took the car in for service and they gave her a 90D, which I also drove. I didn't realize what AP really was back then so I didn't play with it even though the car had it. However, I thought the car felt faster than her P85 and was a lot smoother to drive in all respects.

So all that said, I wanted a P85 and was fine with no AP. Then I came on here and started reading threads and then recalled my 90D experience, and now I think I want the 85D with AP, especially since I live in LA where there is a ton of traffic. I don't drive that often meaning I could easily justify something like the 70D for range purposes, but I know I would be losing some power and acceleration.

Then comes the price.. A P85 CPO you can get for under 45k if you are patient (and I'm in no rush). However the cheapest AP equipped 85D I've seen sell was over 60k. So we are talking a delta of over 15k and maybe closer to 20k.

I think I'm flexible with most other options too. But anything else I should really consider? For example, I had spine surgery a few months ago and my mother's P85 is no longer comfortable with her performance seats, so I'd like to avoid those if possible (though not sure what seats are more comfortable).

The extra 15-20k would be possible for me financially, but wouldn't be ideal. It would add about $300 to the auto loan per month roughly.

I'm sure this type of thread has been posted many times before, so I understand if it seems repetitive. But I'm hoping you guys don't mind talking about your Teslas enough to give a newbie some more advice :)

Between a 2014 with less miles (20k less) or 2015, all things equal which would be the better buy?

Depends exactly when though... Hardly any difference between a December 2014 build and a February 2015 build. If the actual manufacture date (stamped on the car) is over 12 months, I would definitely opt for the 2015 car. With a Tesla you can;t go by calendar year alone.

Instead of looking at the year alone, find out the actual date of manufacturer and then compare that with the Model S Change Log so you see what goodies, if any you are missing out with the older car. Whenever I find a Model S I am interested in buying, this is one of the checks I do...

Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

Some good info, thanks. Do most people buy CPOs from an advisor or through EV-CPO / similar site?

The various CPO sites mean you can search at home and take your time. They have differing amounts of stock listed on them, usually at least the same amount as Tesla display online, sometimes more. An advisor may have more stock they can show you, but then you need to take their time as they search for individual cars matching a brief so it can be hard work.

At the moment there seems to be funny things happening to the inventory listings. They all but disappeared, they then built up steadily and have now crashed down in volume again. Whats unusual this time is that its not uncommon for the cars to disappear from the Tesla on line lists of inventory cars, but if someone sent you details of the car, you could still see the car and potentially buy it. At the moment even these links seem to have gone which means an advisor may struggle to share details of a car with you.

Last edited:
^ Thank you, that is very helpful. Looking at historical sale prices on some CPOs, it seems right now is not the best time to buy. For example on P85s several months back a bunch were going in the 40s, and now they are a lot more than that. I'm in no immediate rush other than just wanting it, so I can wait and see what pops up. I was just wondering what the best means would be of finding that "great" deal.

^ Thank you, that is very helpful. Looking at historical sale prices on some CPOs, it seems right now is not the best time to buy. For example on P85s several months back a bunch were going in the 40s, and now they are a lot more than that. I'm in no immediate rush other than just wanting it, so I can wait and see what pops up. I was just wondering what the best means would be of finding that "great" deal.
I have not seen P85s remotely in that range; with AP they are priced >$60K;

So I was just in your boat! I was looking for a CPO Model S somewhere in the $60k range. I was debating P85 or 85D, but after reading about the driving characteristics felt the 85D would have almost equal acceleration and be a little more planted. I definitely wanted AP so 85D ended up being the right choice(since i think all 85D's have AP?) Here's the kicker, lower priced 85D's (around 60k) are hard to come by. I had one that I hesitated on and it was sold the next day. Checking ev-cpo every day, when the new cars are pulled in, only 3 or 4 85D's show up, and the cheaper ones are gone the next day. I would work with an adviser and see if they have ones in the system that aren't released for sale yet and get them to release it to you. That's how I ended up with mine, he saw a trade come in that matched what I was looking for. He got them to release it for sale and waited on the phone while I placed the order online. it never made into ev-cpo. I ended up with a dark blue S 85D built dec 2015 45k miles with a 4 year 50k warranty for a hair over 60. Good luck with your quest!

So I was just in your boat! I was looking for a CPO Model S somewhere in the $60k range. I was debating P85 or 85D, but after reading about the driving characteristics felt the 85D would have almost equal acceleration and be a little more planted. I definitely wanted AP so 85D ended up being the right choice(since i think all 85D's have AP?) Here's the kicker, lower priced 85D's (around 60k) are hard to come by. I had one that I hesitated on and it was sold the next day. Checking ev-cpo every day, when the new cars are pulled in, only 3 or 4 85D's show up, and the cheaper ones are gone the next day. I would work with an adviser and see if they have ones in the system that aren't released for sale yet and get them to release it to you. That's how I ended up with mine, he saw a trade come in that matched what I was looking for. He got them to release it for sale and waited on the phone while I placed the order online. it never made into ev-cpo. I ended up with a dark blue S 85D built dec 2015 45k miles with a 4 year 50k warranty for a hair over 60. Good luck with your quest!

Congrats on your car purchase! Totally makes sense to work with a responsive advisor as otherwise you only see a subset of the CPO inventory that is available.