Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stray Model X Production rationale posts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly we all have an opinion on this based on what matters to each of us personally. I've turned down more than one job in my career where I was being offered the most money or the most 'power' (that's a weird one to me, I've never looked for 'the most power'). What has mattered to me, without question, was the ability to make a difference.

I guess I'm just one of the 5% you're talking about. Oh wait. Hmmm. One office was shut down and everyone was being transferred out of beautiful Boulder, CO to another location. 100% of the employees declined the move and went and found another job. Work/life balance thing.

Power means a higher-level position (probably bad word choice). And I agree with you that fortunately there are the 5% (I obviously made that number up and it's just my opinion but you are one) that do make choices that aren't based on money and position. Your example of people having to move to another city to keep their job is not an example of how most people choose whether to change jobs as that is a very uncommon circumstance - I was referring to people who have a choice to stay at the job they have or move to a "better" one.

Power means a higher-level position (probably bad word choice). And I agree with you that fortunately there are the 5% (I obviously made that number up and it's just my opinion but you are one) that do make choices that aren't based on money and position. Your example of people having to move to another city to keep their job is not an example of how most people choose whether to change jobs as that is a very uncommon circumstance - I was referring to people who have a choice to stay at the job they have or move to a "better" one.

I spent a lot of years with Intel (congrats, Intel, for earning a perfect score on Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Corp Equality Index). And with tens of thousands of employees, I can assure you that employee retention efforts centered around recognition, satisfaction, etc. Once you've leveled the playing field on 'fair pay' and people have enough to live, there has to be something else that gets you up in the morning, excited about the day ahead.

One of the things that caused me to invest in Tesla several years ago was that I heard about 'the mission' from employees at all levels of the company - senior execs to shuttle bus driver. I'd always heard CEOs talk about 'shared vision', but it was the first time I'd ever witnessed it. When people believe in what they're doing, they do amazing things. It's not just about money or position. For a lot of people, purpose is a required component.

images.jpg

Hah. I would have put you square in that camp. No judgment. :smile:

I was pointing out the story of the morally bankrupt Jerry Maguire who has an epiphany and only finds true happiness once he mends his ways.

I cannot think of a better modern parable to back up your case.

p.s. I used to be a foreign exchange broker in the City of London in my early 20's.......gave it up and took a 90% paycut.

@aljohn - thank you so much for post #185.....I am confident your wish will come true.

Last edited:
I don't know how much kool-aid it takes to think that all these companies are hiring incompetent people

(1) You miss the point. There's a huge intermediate zone between "top talent" and incompetent. Most companies will hire competent people, but only a few companies get a lot of top talent.

and that the only smart ones are at Tesla:

(2) You miss the point again. Tesla will never get all the most talented people, and I never claimed they would.

What I am saying is that many of the top people who chose to avoid or leave Tesla are going to go to other Silicon Valley startups, not GM and its pals. Apple is paying $250,000+ signing bonuses in some cases for top talent, and their auto group has its own skunk works facility. Faraday is using the latest in VR and digital tech to bypass the traditional design process (clay models, etc.).

The hotshots with killer new ideas aren't going to want to be hamstrung by some bureaucrats in Detroit. Anyone can rent an office in Palo Alto or SF and claim to have a presence in the Valley area, but who is in that office and what are they accomplishing?

I was pointing out the story of the morally bankrupt Jerry Maguire who has an epiphany and only finds true happiness once he mends his ways.

I cannot think of a better modern parable to back up your case.

Not sure if you can get this in Munich but check out Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb

It's a bit of a struggle to keep up with and you really have to understand Los Angeles to get a lot out of it. But the underlying theme is the abandonment of expected achievements and doing what others expect you to do instead of being yourself. The lead, and most of the other roles, struggle with this in every episode. And its a musical. :smile:

LOL! Porsche's 2020 EV might be able to compete with (what will be in the year 2020) a 12 year old Tesla Roadster, and still loose to a 7 seater, 5 year old (2015) Model S.
That being said, if it looks good, I'll at least check it out. It won't hurt Tesla, but it will put more of a dent in ICE sales as EVs become a larger percentage of new car sales in the future.