Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Column Display in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, the change in focus from the road to the steering wheel is much greater than the from the road to the dash or to the center console.
In my current car, when I look at the dash when I drive, I look at it thou the steering wheel. So no change of focus here.

My biggest problems with a steering wheel display is that firstly it is too small to convey all the info you need, so if there is going to be another display of some sort anyway why not just put it all there to begin with.
Different info has different priorities. Some info is so important that it is shown where you easily can see it and grab your attention, and not obscure the view out of the windshield (HUD). This information belong on the dash - or a steering wheel mounted dash-display. Some information is best shown on the windshield (HUD) like augmented reality / AP. Some information is none-essential and may be shown anywhere where the driver can see (center display).

And no, I do not argument that it should be separated on three different locations, but I say that it is an possibility that it do not have to be one or the other. What I prefer is a dash like in the Model S/X - or maybe an steering wheel dash as proposed in this thread, and maybe a HUD for AP. The center console should do just what it does today in model S/X. But I'm open to alternatives, but I will have to do some very though thinking if it ends up with an identical system to what was shown at the unveiling #1.

I'm not sure who Tesla feels its M3 customer base is....but I can't imagine a 70 year old being attracted to any of these concepts.

:eek: o_O :mad: them are fighting words you young whippersnapper! Wait til you are 70 and we'll see what you are "attracted to" - Buicks, the female residents at your assisted living home, and Metamucil I'll wager! This 70+ year old is "attracted to any of these concepts" - futuristic cars, women in Olympic water polo swimming suits, and fine scotch. :p

In my current car, when I look at the dash when I drive, I look at it thou the steering wheel. So no change of focus here.
You're still looking at the dash though, not the steering wheel itself. Try looking at the center of the steering wheel for a couple of seconds, you'll see that there is more of change there than just about anywhere else. Depending on where they have the steering wheel positioned sme people may have to physically move their head to be able to see something there, whereas with the dash or a hud all they would have to do is move their eyes.

The Porsche Mission E concept interior has a display integrated into the steering column, in line with what I envision for the Model 3.
I do not see a significant difference between the Mission E concept car drivers display (which requires the dashboard to curve around it and therefore differsfrom the passenger side) and the Model S or X drivers display. To me the Mission E dash is asymmetrical to accommodate the drivers display which is not part of the steering column.
Just to add to the conversation, this is the instrument cluster on my daily drive (Peugeot 208). You guys in US don't get this car (or brand).
Thanks, understand that vehicle is not available in the US, but I do not see the drivers display in that Peugeot as being significantly different from many other cars. That drivers display is integrated into the dashboard and it contains digital copies of analog gauges which is a very common approach these days. Can you explain what is special or unique about it?
The BMW i3 cockpit is a current production vehicle that includes a steering column display as a dashboard.
Again, I would not call the small i3 drivers display screen a "steering column display". The i3 dashboard is asymmetrical: the drivers side is very different from the passenger side. The drivers display screen is in about the same position relative to the steering wheel that the Model S and X screen is.

The Model 3 prototypes that have been shown publicly appear to have a remarkably symmetrical dashboard top surface and upper edge. The drivers side appears to have a space on the lower edge of the dashboard for the steering column. The only display screen we have seen so far is placed in the center of the dash, and the test drivers at the Model 3 reveal clearly stated that the center display would be in the production cars.

Then later Elon tweeted about how the prototype steering wheel is not the production wheel, he wrote: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship." And the speculation went wild.

I love Elon's imagination and vision, but of course all the existing spacecraft that can carry humans into orbit are made in Russia and use technology that is many decades old (China's manned space program uses spacecraft based on the Russian Soyuz). Clearly he wasn't talking about anything that currently exists. He was envisioning a future spacecraft. One that he might have been thinking about is the upcoming Crew Dragon.

dragon-v2-interior-wide-cropped.jpg

However that isn't very helpful for us to try to figure out what the Model 3 "steering controls" are going to be like.

At this point we just don't know. But keep speculating...

Thanks, understand that vehicle is not available in the US, but I do not see the drivers display in that Peugeot as being significantly different from many other cars. That drivers display is integrated into the dashboard and it contains digital copies of analog gauges which is a very common approach these days. Can you explain what is special or unique about it?

Gladly.

Although it's not futuristic in a sense we're talking about in this thread (analog instruments for instance), it's revolutionary in a mass market car, since the instrument cluster is seen from above the steering wheel and not through it. That requires a smaller (and slightly oval) steering wheel. Think it as a kinda of "poor man's HUD".

Peugeot raised a lot of eyebrows with this design, but since it's unveil, it proved it worked quite well and it's getting this design on all it's model range.

For a more "futuristic" approach using the same idea, this is the new Peugeot 3008 cockpit. And no, it's not a prototype.

Peugeot_3008_2017_interior_filtrado_2.jpg

Peugeot-3008-2016-im-Test-Sitzprobe-1200x800-b36921a41c40dce8.jpg

And yes... I know it's a kinda of a digress from the original thread. It was presented just as food for though.

Gladly.

Although it's not futuristic in a sense we're talking about in this thread (analog instruments for instance), it's revolutionary in a mass market car, since the instrument cluster is seen from above the steering wheel and not through it. That requires a smaller (and slightly oval) steering wheel. Think it as a kinda of "poor man's HUD".

Peugeot raised a lot of eyebrows with this design, but since it's unveil, it proved it worked quite well and it's getting this design on all it's model range.

For a more "futuristic" approach using the same idea, this is the new Peugeot 3008 cockpit. And no, it's not a prototype.

Peugeot_3008_2017_interior_filtrado_2.jpg

Peugeot-3008-2016-im-Test-Sitzprobe-1200x800-b36921a41c40dce8.jpg

And yes... I know it's a kinda of a digress from the original thread. It was presented just as food for though.
Is it supposed to look like it's from the '80s?

Reactions: andrerodpt

When you are looking at the road, looking at the dash requires a change in focus (distance). If the display was on the steering wheel rather than behind, that would require a larger change in focus. Changes in focus can take up to 300 milliseconds (aka 26.4 feet at 60 MPH).

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: dsvick
In the 80's, without power steering, using that small steering wheel would be a pain or just a great exercise.
But I'm not sure a lot of 80's mass market cars that used that configuration...
My old 1989 Honda accord had power steering, power windows, etc. The steering wheel was fairly small... I'm just looking at your picture trying to figure out where the 8 track goes...

Although it's not futuristic in a sense we're talking about in this thread (analog instruments for instance), it's revolutionary in a mass market car, since the instrument cluster is seen from above the steering wheel and not through it. That requires a smaller (and slightly oval) steering wheel.
Thanks, now I understand. I couldn't appreciate that from the first photos you posted. Now I get it. :)

My old 1989 Honda accord had power steering, power windows, etc. The steering wheel was fairly small... I'm just looking at your picture trying to figure out where the 8 track goes...

Ok. Peugeot interiors: tiny steering wheels for all

"A key part of the philosophy behind the i-Cockpit setup is that the raised instrument cluster places information more directly in the driver’s line of sight, making for reduced refocusing time between the road and the dials."

This was discussed here. I just though it was a good idea presenting you a design you might now know it was mass marketed in Europe (228.000 cars sold in 2015). I now see it was a bad idea. Carry on, then.

:eek: o_O :mad: them are fighting words you young whippersnapper! Wait til you are 70 and we'll see what you are "attracted to" - Buicks, the female residents at your assisted living home, and Metamucil I'll wager! This 70+ year old is "attracted to any of these concepts" - futuristic cars, women in Olympic water polo swimming suits, and fine scotch. :p
I already know what I'm going to be like when I'm 70. As a matter of fact I'm planning it.

I plan on not doing ANYTHING. I plan on being retired - taking it easy - keeping things simple. Driving a Tesla as simple as a buick.
Trust me.....I'm not criticizing 70 year olds at all - I envy them for many reasons.

However - Right now I'm a Ludicrous man. I've got to at least get Ludicrous at least once because when I'm 70 I will probably drive my MS in valet mode 24/7.

Ok. Peugeot interiors: tiny steering wheels for all

"A key part of the philosophy behind the i-Cockpit setup is that the raised instrument cluster places information more directly in the driver’s line of sight, making for reduced refocusing time between the road and the dials."

This was discussed here. I just though it was a good idea presenting you a design you might now know it was mass marketed in Europe (228.000 cars sold in 2015). I now see it was a bad idea. Carry on, then.
No...its not a bad idea. Its just a tough crowd. Don't feel bad.

However - Right now I'm a Ludicrous man. I've got to at least get Ludicrous at least once because when I'm 70 I will probably drive my MS in valet mode 24/7.

I don't need no stinkin' ludicrous mode,...I've got BIG HANDS already!

My PCP says I have the body and mind of a 50 year old. He says that it is in my best interests, physically and psychologically, that I never grow up and he says that every year I wait for my T3, it will add twice that many years to my life! I can't wait to punch my T3 in valet mode and watch my family yelling and screaming, waving heir hands in the air and grabbing for the futuristic, fold out from the dash, steering wheel as I make my escape from Shady Pines Old Folks Home. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
I don't need no stinkin' ludicrous mode,...I've got BIG HANDS already!

My PCP says I have the body and mind of a 50 year old. He says that it is in my best interests, physically and psychologically, that I never grow up and he says that every year I wait for my T3, it will add twice that many years to my life! I can't wait to punch my T3 in valet mode and watch my family yelling and screaming, waving heir hands in the air and grabbing for the futuristic, fold out from the dash, steering wheel as I make my escape from Shady Pines Old Folks Home. ;)
Now that sounds like a plan. Good luck on your escape.

Hey....what is a T3?