Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Column Display in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all of the ideas going around about the Model 3 cockpit (e.g. heads-up display, etc.), I think there is a case to be made for the Model 3 having a driver display integrated into the steering column.

1) In the Model 3 design sketches, the steering column is featured prominently as separate from the dashboard. Without the steering column, the dashboard would be symmetrical for both the driver and passenger. A symmetrical dashboard would improve the efficiency of manufacturing by having common components between Left-Hand-Drive and Right-Hand-Drive models. The integrated steering column/display/steering wheel package could be interchanged between the left and right side on the same dashboard component during manufacturing.

Additionally, I think the open-top steering wheel in the design sketch alludes to a display placed behind the steering wheel. That being said, I do not think the production steering wheel needs to be open-top style.

Screen_Shot_2016_08_22_at_4_26_33_PM.png

2) The Porsche Mission E concept interior has a display integrated into the steering column, in line with what I envision for the Model 3. Tesla's hire of the interior designer for this concept, Felix Godard, was reported (Tesla hires the interior designer of Porsche’s all-electric Mission E) soon after the Model 3 reveal.

Porsche_Mission_E_Concept_Interior_3.jpg

3) Tesla's chief designer, Franz von Holzhausen, was the head of design for Mazda North America from February 2005 - July 2008. In January 2007, Mazda revealed the Mazda Ryuga concept. Its cockpit featured dashboard gauges built into the steering column in an otherwise symmetrical interior cabin.

2007_Mazda_Ryuga_Concept_Dashboard_1280x960.jpg

Mazda_Ryuga_Concept_interior_7_lg.jpg

Mazda_Ryuga_Concept_dash.jpg

hmmm why do concept cars never seem to have airbags...

None of that data displayed is necessary and not already accomplished by the center panel....

A HUD on the other hand could be used with augmented reality to overlay autopilot information onto the windshield. Thus eliminating confusion as to what its next move might be.

Reactions: Cloxxki
hmmm why do concept cars never seem to have airbags...

None of that data displayed is necessary and not already accomplished by the center panel....

A HUD on the other hand could be used with augmented reality to overlay autopilot information onto the windshield. Thus eliminating confusion as to what its next move might be.

I don't think it would be necessary a big change (if any) in the Mission E steering wheel to accommodate an airbag.

There is a lot of information to display there that is necessary, some even mandatory.
Yes, on the prototypes displayed at the unveiling all of this information was moved to the center panel. To me this looks more like an interim solution awaiting the final interior solution. That was the first thought I got when a saw it at the unveiling, and I still think so.
Yes, a HUD display may do, especially the autopilot stuff. But who said it had to be one or the other? The may both have a small display on the steering column and the AP on the HUD and the rest on the center console. To me that looks like a nice solution. And no - I do not talk about any exact copy of any of the examples shown in this thread.

My biggest problems with a steering wheel display is that firstly it is too small to convey all the info you need, so if there is going to be another display of some sort anyway why not just put it all there to begin with.
Also, the change in focus from the road to the steering wheel is much greater than the from the road to the dash or to the center console. The difference in focus between the sterring wheel and a hud would be even greater. The only people not affected by this would be people wearing bifocals.

Reactions: Topher
I'm not sure who Tesla feels its M3 customer base is....but I can't imagine a 70 year old being attracted to any of these concepts. Let alone some 60 year olds.
Unless there are "versions" of the M3 from "regular" to "super space like" I can't imagine these concepts being the only option. The M3 is intended to be a mass produced car. If they mass produce spaceship cars, then ......

• Disagree
Reactions: RobertF
I'm not sure who Tesla feels its M3 customer base is....but I can't imagine a 70 year old being attracted to any of these concepts. Let alone some 60 year olds.
Unless there are "versions" of the M3 from "regular" to "super space like" I can't imagine these concepts being the only option. The M3 is intended to be a mass produced car. If they mass produce spaceship cars, then ......

Have you seen the huge 17'' tablet on the Model S and X?
And the full led instrument cluster?

Senior people like new stuff too...

Reactions: LastGas
Have you seen the huge 17'' tablet on the Model S and X?
And the full led instrument cluster?

Senior people like new stuff too...
Ok Ok....let me say this... I didn't think I would have to, however I see that I do...... Senior people don't like new things or changes to the norm nearly as much as youth do. I also didn't think I would have to say this either.... but here it goes "I'm not talking about ALL seniors.".

That's why they buy buicks more than any other age groups on the planet. Buicks always produce a "simple" version car without a lot of buttons and touchscreen-swipe type options. They also have a pocket for flip phones.

Just to add to the conversation, this is the instrument cluster on my daily drive (Peugeot 208). You guys in US don't get this car (or brand).

estilo-interior1.jpg

painelelvadointerna.jpg

Small oval steering rim.

Guess what? It works just fine. You can see all information on the dash from above the steering wheel.

Just to add to the conversation, this is the instrument cluster on my daily drive (Peugeot 208). You guys in US don't get this car (or brand).

estilo-interior1.jpg

painelelvadointerna.jpg

Small oval steering rim.

Guess what? It works just fine. You can see all information on the dash from above the steering wheel.
I don't understand your post. Yes, the US car buyers may not have the option to buy this car...however the question I wonder about is......Is that a problem? I don't understand the point you are making.

Ok Ok....let me say this... I didn't think I would have to, however I see that I do...... Senior people don't like new things or changes to the norm nearly as much as youth do. I also didn't think I would have to say this either.... but here it goes "I'm not talking about ALL seniors.".

That's why they buy buicks more than any other age groups on the planet. Buicks always produce a "simple" version car without a lot of buttons and touchscreen-swipe type options. They also have a pocket for flip phones.

I don't think Tesla is aiming for that specific market. And yet, with great usability, all would benefit with innovation. A LCD instrument cluster would inform the driver a lot better than a "analogic" one.

• Informative
Reactions: Subhuman
I don't think Tesla is aiming for that specific market. And yet, with great usability, all would benefit with innovation. A LCD instrument cluster would inform the driver a lot better than a "analogic" one.
ARrrrggghhh.. Why are you guys always using Dictionary words? analogic isn't even in the dictionary.

I think I understand what you are saying....

• Funny
Reactions: MassModel3
I don't understand your post. Yes, the US car buyers may not have the option to buy this car...however the question I wonder about is......Is that a problem? I don't understand the point you are making.

Man... come on... I'm not attacking anyone. Especially you guys in US.
I'm just trying to show you another take on a conventional dashboard that gets great sales in Europe and you might not know about. If you ask me I don't know how a Ford Taurus dashboard looks like, since it's a car that is not sold here.
Please don't get offended by my posts since there was none. And sorry if my written english is not getting the message through.