Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New ep was dropped early today.

There will be an upcoming musical ep: STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS Conducts a "Subspace Rhapsody" Musical, and That LOWER DECKS Crossover Airs Today!. I'm liking SNW but my expectations for that ep are rock bottom.

Reactions: jebinc

There will be an upcoming musical ep: STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS Conducts a "Subspace Rhapsody" Musical, and That LOWER DECKS Crossover Airs Today!. I'm liking SNW but my expectations for that ep are rock bottom.

Fantastic!

Saw this S2:E7 last night….

Of all the ST spinoffs since Gene Roddenberry died, I think he would like SNW the best. It's captured the essence of Roddenberry's vision the best. In the 60s he set out to make a TV series that told people that while times were in turmoil then, things could work out OK. He addressed a number of the issues of the day in TOS.

I grew up on the TOS re-runs, like most early Gen Xers. I even went to an ST convention with my sister when I was about 11 (she's 10 years older). Back then most of the actors from the series were unemployed and doing the convention circuit to make some extra money. There were several at the convention. We went to a showing the "The Doomsday Machine" and it was a completely different experience in an auditorium full of fans.

I've seen all the spin off series except Prodigy. I'll probably watch Prodigy at some point, but I understand it's aimed at kids.

When Star Trek got to be more about wars and conflicts I kept watching, but it felt like it had strayed. Enterprise leaving the canon was also an uncomfortable departure.

My partner was familiar with TOS, but she only saw a few episodes here and there. She wasn't that into Science Fiction growing up. She's watched most series with me since Voyager and she's gotten into the stories, but she misses the references to past series. She drew the line at Lower Decks though. The cartoon nature turned her off, but she also didn't understand most of the references. There are lots of inside jokes in that series which are funny if you know all of ST, but are lost on someone like her who doesn't know much ST lore.

She really liked the first two seasons of Picard, but got a bit lost near the end of Season 3 because it hearkened back so much to TNG.

SNW strikes a good balance between throwing out Easter Eggs for the long time fans as well as being a good story for those who don't know much ST lore. She was a bit lost with the Lower Decks cross over though. They were making a lot of references to other ST series like they do in Lower Decks and she was kind of lost.

I know there are divisions among Trek fans about which series is their favorite, especially among TOS and TNG. Both were products of their era and both were good in their own way. I'm kind of a floater in that way. I can appreciate all series in one way or another.

All SF TV series seem to be a bit awkward the first season, or at least the first half of the first season. With a program that takes place in the modern day or in history there are lots of things that are already established with the audience, whereas an SF show has to establish the rules of the universe as well as the characters in the first few episodes and the storytelling gets lost in all the admin. SNW got established quicker than most because they had a running start between slipping into Discovery as a back door pilot and being established as a direct prequel to TOS.

But comparing season 1 to 2, I think season 2 is better. The writing has gone from very good to excellent and the actors seem to be getting more comfortable in their roles.

With all TV series I've been able to tell when a cast really like one another, are OK with one another, or there are tensions behind the scenes. Reading about the industry stories about the production usually confirms my suspicions. TOS had some tensions behind the scenes, mostly between Shatner and the rest of the cast and it showed to some degree. On the other hand the cast of TNG was tight with one another and they are all still close friends, that comes through when they are acting together.

I think the cast of SNW is possibly the closest since TNG. They all seem to like each other quite a bit. From what I've read Anson Mount is easy to work with and tends to keep the mood light between takes. It makes the show more enjoyable and I'm really enjoying season 2 a lot.

We're watching the episode now. They did come up with a reason for the singing, but it's not my favorite episode. Some of the singers sound like they might be dubbed, but it looks like most of them did their own singing and they at least can carry a tune.

We're watching the episode now. They did come up with a reason for the singing, but it's not my favorite episode. Some of the singers sound like they might be dubbed, but it looks like most of them did their own singing and they at least can carry a tune.
Definitely dubbed. In several cases, the characters singing voice is different from scene to scene. Nurse Chapel, for example.

Reactions: phantasms
Definitely dubbed. In several cases, the characters singing voice is different from scene to scene. Nurse Chapel, for example.

According to an article my partner read about the episode, what we heard was everyone's own voice, though most of the songs were studio records of the same actor dubbed over the record from the day of the shoot.

They tested everyone ahead of time to see if they could carry a tune and what their range was. Three of the actresses had backgrounds singing, and Christina Chong (who plays Singh) is trying to build her music career on the side and pushed for this episode. Celia Rose Gooding (who plays Uhura) has a Grammy and was the youngest person ever nominated for a Tony award. Rebecca Romijn (Una) majored in music at UC Santa Cruz and did a lot of Gilbert and Sullivan.

What surprised everyone was Ethan Peck (Gregory Peck's grandson) who plays Spock. He had never done any singing, but when they did the testing they were amazed at his natural talent. He's currently in the touring company for a Broadway show.

I thought Jess Bush's (Chapel) performance was not her own voice, but apparently it was. You could tell Anson Mount is not a singer, and they gave him some pretty easy stuff to sing, but he is a good comedic actor so they played into that with his performance. Apparently Anson Mount is kind of the class clown on set keeping things light between takes.

My favorite bit was the Klingons doing K-Pop. Apparently they filmed two different genres for their routine, but the K-pop bit was much better.

According to an article my partner read about the episode, what we heard was everyone's own voice, though most of the songs were studio records of the same actor dubbed over the record from the day of the shoot.

They tested everyone ahead of time to see if they could carry a tune and what their range was. Three of the actresses had backgrounds singing, and Christina Chong (who plays Singh) is trying to build her music career on the side and pushed for this episode. Celia Rose Gooding (who plays Uhura) has a Grammy and was the youngest person ever nominated for a Tony award. Rebecca Romijn (Una) majored in music at UC Santa Cruz and did a lot of Gilbert and Sullivan.

What surprised everyone was Ethan Peck (Gregory Peck's grandson) who plays Spock. He had never done any singing, but when they did the testing they were amazed at his natural talent. He's currently in the touring company for a Broadway show.

I thought Jess Bush's (Chapel) performance was not her own voice, but apparently it was. You could tell Anson Mount is not a singer, and they gave him some pretty easy stuff to sing, but he is a good comedic actor so they played into that with his performance. Apparently Anson Mount is kind of the class clown on set keeping things light between takes.

My favorite bit was the Klingons doing K-Pop. Apparently they filmed two different genres for their routine, but the K-pop bit was much better.
The K-pop was good, yes!

Don't read unless you've seen SNW S2 finale, unless you want to be spoiled instead of surprised.

They could reboot the original series, but the problem with that is some characters the fans have become attached to have to leave the series somehow. We know Pike ends up essentially a quadriplegic, but we don't know what happens to the other characters. Showing whatever happens that causes so many characters to leave the series could be very traumatic to fans of the show.

I did observe something about the season finale, but I'll avoid mentioning it here in case somebody who might be reading hasn't seen the episode yet.

Unfortunately with the writers and actors strike going on, it's going to be a while until season 3 shows up. We may not see it until 2025.