Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggering amount of issues found at/after delivery. Considering returning the car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I'm only one data point, but I took delivery of a red P3D+ a month ago with white seats. I was worried in advance what might be wrong with it upon delivery, and I have to say, other than the due bill for the badge and spoiler, the car was flawless. I mean perfect. I looked it up, down and sideways in the daylight, and drove it away with an awesome Tesla grin...After a month of driving, I love it more than ever....

That's great.. and when that happens there's no real need to come a forum and post... so thanks for doing so.

And I'm jealous...

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: MXWing and P85_DA
You should put right in your signature that you hold a short position on Tesla and have written anti-Tesla pieces on Seeking Alpha. Not doing so is extremely disingenuous.

Oh absolutely this. Not sure why you got a disagree. It’s the only ethical thing to do.

Bears who profit from harm to Tesla and post need that disclosure.

I don’t think bulls like myself are hypocrites because we don’t excuse Tesla’s bad behavior.

We try to explain it but not excuse it.

Last edited:
Oh absolutely this. Not sure why you got a disagree. It’s the only ethical thing to do.

Bears who profit from harm to Tesla and post need that disclosure.

I don’t think bulls like myself are hypocrites because we don’t excuse Tesla’s bad behavior.

We try to explain it but not excuse it.

I have no problem with people having a short position on Tesla or even deeply desiring Tesla to fail. Free market and all that rot.

Cruising the Tesla forum being a carefree fun friendly beach guy and then sliding in some Tesla digs, needling as it were, and doing it on the sly... that is just not cool.

Better word for it is disingenuous bullshit.

That's correct, but you still have to sign the agreement that you will accept arbitration before you take initial delivery. This is why your best two options when you do final inspection is to either reject the vehicle at that time or get a due bill for the repairs the vehicle needs and accept that your brand new car needs repair.
FWIW, I sent an opt-out letter after the initial contract from my ISA before delivery and resent the letter after I took delivery/signed the finalized contract. Arbitration agreements that don't provide some sort of opt-out method aren't enforceable in California. YMMV in other states.

I have no problem with people having a short position on Tesla or even deeply desiring Tesla to fail. Free market and all that rot.

Cruising the Tesla forum being a carefree fun friendly beach guy and then sliding in some Tesla digs, needling as it were, and doing it on the sly... that is just not cool.

Better word for it is disingenuous bullshit.

I present Exhibits A-Z24. Friendly beach guy has lots of time to write. :)

upload_2018-9-19_22-16-3.png

I know I'm only one data point, but I took delivery of a red P3D+ a month ago with white seats. I was worried in advance what might be wrong with it upon delivery, and I have to say, other than the due bill for the badge and spoiler, the car was flawless. I mean perfect. I looked it up, down and sideways in the daylight, and drove it away with an awesome Tesla grin...After a month of driving, I love it more than ever....

The lack of a badge, and the lack of a spoiler is really annoying though. It's like come on Tesla, what the hell?

What I think is really funny is I've been having nightmares about the white seats. The one last night was about coming out to the car, and seeing that the seats were off-white.

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck and P85_DA
Tesla is a market disruptor. Subaru is not.

Irrelevant. Manufacturing is manufacturing. Most of Tesla's Tier 1 suppliers, also sell to Tesla's competitors. They're not making these things out of unicorn farts.

Says who? Please post the stats on customer satisfaction since I personally know someone who had to cut Subaru a ton of slack, while cursing them, but unlike you I know the value of anecdotal evidence.

Please, again let's stick to facts. Do we really have to do a rehash of how evidence from anecdotes is seriously flawed?

Here's the facts from a broad view perspective, with valid data from random sampling. It looks to me like Subaru still can't get over its hurdles. 24% of their customers have dumped them -- would not buy again! Nearly 2.5 times worse than Tesla -- in Tesla's first year of sampling! This is the company you use as an example?

Rank Brand Owner Satisfaction
(Average of all models)
2018 2017
1 — Tesla 90
2 — Porsche 85
3 NA Genesis 81
4 ▲ 4 Chrysler 78
5 ▼ 2 Audi 76
6 ▲ 1 Mazda 76
7 ▼ 3 Subaru 76

Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

Subaru's customer satisfaction ranks 7th out of 40-some brands??? OMG that's AWFUL.

On the bright side, they beat out industry stalwarts such as Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Honda and Toyota.

I stand by my point.

By design it will always be a pain the ass. The purchasing process from a traditional dealer is an ADVERSARIAL process. It is a zero sum game. Every dollar I get discounted on is one less dollar for their coffers. If they don’t get their pound of flesh from me they will get it from the next person.
I happen to thrive in scenarios that involve negotiation. However I see the value of treating everyone the same like Tesla does.

MX, I'd like to go back to this quote if I may (thread has devolved anyway). I originally responded that I agree with this statement, but thinking back, it just doesn't sit well with me.

One simple way to avoid the adversarial process in car buying, is simply to pay sticker list. Why are you happy to do this for Tesla, but not anyone else?

Why do you appreciate that Tesla treats everyone the same, yet you value being treated differently when the vendor is different? You said yourself you are an expert negotiator.

Tesla makes twice the markup of any other OEM at the manufacturer level. Why are you happy to pay this without question, but when the dealer has his skin in the game, it's your "pound of flesh" he's after? Does he not have overhead to pay also?

I sold cars briefly in 1991, I distinctly remember several deals my manager approved where the dealer's net take was a couple hundred dollars. And that was before my commission.

I sell auto parts for a living. Not a single day goes by where someone doesn't ask me some variation on the phrase, "Is that the best you can do?" Yes, I have bills to pay and 45 people to distribute wages to. It drives me mad that I'm not allowed to make a living. We cave anyway, because competition is fierce. So I guess it's our fault.

But people who complain about the dealer process, need to recognize they share some of the blame. That's how we got here, because everyone feels they're entitled to demand a better deal. Imagine buying a garage door at Lowe's and then demanding a price cut at checkout. You wouldn't do it, would you? Why not? Why is it okay to do with cars?

Reactions: cwerdna and kavyboy
Tesla normally vets cars at the service center before they are handed off to the customer at the delivery center.

It wouldn’t make sense to have a service center in the IE, so a delivery center wouldn’t make sense.

Would not need a full fledged service center, but the functions of a service center that relate to delivering cars would make a lot of sense. Detailing, body alignment, a few bays to handle other repairs.

The question in my mind is how long will the delivery rate stay high enough for this to make sense? And when will the tunnel be complete to get people out there? :)

Reactions: MXWing