Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotted in Australia and New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg

Spotted in Sydney. (AUS: 586)

Previously spotted :)
Is there a manual for this spotting game?
  • How does Colin from Qld know that a car in Sydney has already been spotted? Is there a master list somewhere? Surely he can't be looking thru all the photos.
  • Most people don't put the rego number in the text to make it searchable, and those that do use different formats (esp whether the separator is "-" or dropped) so that can't be it.
  • How does the AUS number work? Who reverses and reallocates it when a car is noted as already spotted, especially long afterwards?
Maybe I'll use the trial and error method and just post this one sighted in the Sydney suburb of Gordon. I have seen quite a few in that area lately including a white one from Qld in Lindfield a couple of weeks ago - who knows maybe Colin on a spotting mission. Anyway I'm sure someone from far away will say this post has already been spotted, but maybe I'll figure out how it all works!

20160504_094821.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a manual for this spotting game?
  • How does Colin from Qld know that a car in Sydney has already been spotted? Is there a master list somewhere? Surely he can't be looking thru all the photos.
  • Most people don't put the rego number in the text to make it searchable, and those that do use different formats (esp whether the separator is "-" or dropped) so that can't be it.
  • How does the AUS number work? Who reverses and reallocates it when a car is noted as already spotted, especially long afterwards?
Maybe I'll use the trial and error method and just post this one sighted in the Sydney suburb of Gordon. I have seen quite a few in that area lately including a white one from Qld in Lindfield a couple of weeks ago - who knows maybe Colin on a spotting mission. Anyway I'm sure someone from far away will say this post has already been spotted, but maybe I'll figure out how it all works!

View attachment 175437

The spotted list (I think a spreadsheet) was originally managed by LGGD. ColinA has recently taken on the challenge of keeping this up to date, but I believe LGGD still has a hand in the process.

I don't believe the list is publicly accessible, but stand to be corrected.

Given that Tesla gets number plates in blocks it is also possible to project total numbers of cars. Eg if CXJ 55D and CXJ 55M NSW plates have been spotted it is a fairly safe bet that all the plates in between have also been applied to Teslas. This doesn't drive the "spotted" number but is a more scientific way to predict the total number of cars that might be out there.

Reactions: Miggy and Novatec
The spotted list (I think a spreadsheet) was originally managed by LGGD. ColinA has recently taken on the challenge of keeping this up to date, but I believe LGGD still has a hand in the process.

I don't believe the list is publicly accessible, but stand to be corrected.

Yep, that's correct. Both LGGD and I keep a shared list up to date. Whichever one of us gets to the spot first adds it to the list. A bit of a shared task.

Reactions: RichardMcN