Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-4 - Starbase TX - Pre-Launch Preparations Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also see the context, and I don't have a Twitter account. I assume that TMC is obtaining the tweet image via some web site access method. Perhaps you were looking at only the text. The image can be slow to show up.
I believe seeing X posts is browser dependent, in OSX never seen with Safari, works about 2/3rds of the time with FireFox

Good static fire on Ship 29.

1711390865223.png

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Do starlink satellites have cameras? Seems to me it would be useful if they could send up one in IFT-4, use it for testing deployment, then instead of raising itself to orbit, just maneuver around the ship and do a high-res external inspection of the entire starship. And if they don't have cameras, put some on just as a one-off for in-orbit inspection.

Reactions: Grendal
Do starlink satellites have cameras?
Apparently they have star-tracking cameras, but that's it.

And if they don't have cameras, put some on just as a one-off for in-orbit inspection.
That's a pretty expensive GoPro.

They have flaps at four locations, allowing outboard views of pretty much the entire ship. Add zooming and panning cameras and you're done.

Apparently they have star-tracking cameras, but that's it.

That's a pretty expensive GoPro.

They have flaps at four locations, allowing outboard views of pretty much the entire ship. Add zooming and panning cameras and you're done.

I'm assuming the star tracking cameras are all infinity focus, you'd need.... I like your analogy of a GoPro, although a camera drone is a better analogy. What I suggest certainly isn't lunch money, but compared the total cost of each SH/SS test flight? And at some point they will want to launch the full-sized only-enabled-with-Starship version of the Satellites, test the deployment mechanism for the PEZ dispenser, etc, so presumably they're going to throw a few away to test those, too...why not mount a camera to a couple of them while at it? The cost might be more in the development of the GoPro and flight control for zipping around the ship.

Whether it's good value in order to get 100% coverage of cameras and from any angle you want, I have no idea. For example, for missing tiles you could get a close-up of the connectors to see their state, from any angle you want, before they get melted by re-entry.

Reactions: JB47394
Interesting. Is the implication that the Monday static fire of S29 was not a total success?

Maybe the road closure tomorrow is to move B11(?) to the OLM in preparation for a booster static fire?
Those were each my first instinct, but the road closure tomorrow is all day (12 hours). If I recall correctly, a vehicle move is usually a 2-4 hour closure.

Edit: I should add that tomorrow is listed as a "Possible Closure". I can't remember what a "normal closure" looks like.

Last edited: