Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-3 - Starbase TX - Pre-Launch Preparations Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Making the assumption for a launch on March 14th, 7am-11am local time, what time would we expect a road closure to begin? I might aim to try to show up a day early to be able to check out all the facilities (from the safety of parking along side the major highway... that dead ends at the beach haha), unless the road is closed to new access days before hand.

Conversely, which might work out better for me with timing, how long until the road is re-opened AFTER the launch? When it reopens is it safe to assume its still blocked for average traffic until cleared/checked for debris/damage/etc?

I'd still prefer to check it all out before the launch for the obvious reasons that I would be able to see S28/B10 stacked from the road, as afterwards they have been destroyed.
Baring other testing, road gets shutdown at midnight before the launch.
Baring unexpected disassembly, the road will reopen at 2:00 pm after the launch.
IFT-2 coverage gives a good example.
Here are next weeks closure notices:
Order Closing Boca Chica Beach and State Hwy 4; March 14, 2024 with alternative dates of March 15, 2024 or March 16, 2024 - Cameron County

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
Thanks. I was thinking of ASDS recoveries, but of course for an RTLS there has to be return velocity. And now I understand the same is true for an ASDS, or in the context of the IFT launches, a water landing of the booster.
Most droneship landings don't do any boostback, just re-entry and landing burns.

The view with the people standing by the road watching the deluge test makes it look like they are much closer than they actually are. When the test starts the camera doesn’t pick up the sound for several seconds.

IMG_0692.jpeg

This tweet is not referring to a launch site TFR. It's a Central Altitude Reservation Function request for IFT-3. Perhaps someone else can explain the nuances of this. I'm posting it because the Starship IFT-3 Tracker site has it down as satisfying the TFR requirement.

Coordinate altitude reservation (ALTRV) requests as required for missions that depart from points within a control area/flight information region (CTA/FIR) in which the United States is responsible for the provision of air traffic services and enters a CTA or FIR in which a foreign country is responsible for the provision of air traffic services with the appropriate foreign altitude reservation facilities in accordance with CARF letters of agreement.

TFRs are up for Boca Chica! I originally posted only the Friday TFR, but there's also one for Thursday. So perhaps they're still aiming for Thursday, with Friday as a backup date.

Thursday

Issue Date :​
March 12, 2024 at 2126 UTC
Boca Chica, Texas
Beginning Date and Time :​
March 14, 2024 at 1150 UTC
Ending Date and Time :​
March 14, 2024 at 1431 UTC
Reason for NOTAM :​
Space Operations Area
Type :​
Space Operations
Replaced NOTAM(s) :​
N/A
Pilots May Contact :​
HOUSTON (ZHU) ARTCC, 281-230-5560

Friday

March 12, 2024 at 2130 UTC
Boca Chica, Texas
March 15, 2024 at 1150 UTC
March 15, 2024 at 1431 UTC
Space Operations Area
Space Operations
Replaced NOTAM(s) :​
N/A
Pilots May Contact :​
HOUSTON (ZHU) ARTCC, 281-230-5560

Last edited:
TFRs are up for Boca Chica! I originally posted only the Friday TFR, but there's also one for Thursday. So perhaps they're still aiming for Thursday, with Friday as a backup date.

Thursday

March 12, 2024 at 2126 UTC
Boca Chica, Texas
March 14, 2024 at 1150 UTC
March 14, 2024 at 1431 UTC
Space Operations Area
Space Operations