Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-3 - Starbase TX - Pre-Launch Preparations Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So all NASA wants to see is some LOX being moved between tanks. I'm assuming that SpaceX will pressurize the header tanks, perform the deorbit burn and, while the header tanks are still pressurized, crack a valve to let the pressure push the propellant from the downcomer into the main tank. I'm not sure why NASA would award money for that given that they're after the transfer of propellant between vehicles. All they seem to be getting is someone blowing down a straw with soda in it.
In a speech Elon recently gave, he mentioned that they were indeed going to transfer from a header tank to a main tank. I hope some knowledge is gained by doing this.

Both tanks farms appear to be active, there is a partial LOX load on S28, road is closed but no overpressure notice has been issued according to NSF.

IMG_0668.jpeg

There was what looked like a spin prime test of probably 3 engines, and NSF thinks they could be the same 3 engines that were replaced not long ago. Now S28 appears to be detanking.

As for the OLM tank farm activity, my guess is they used the road closure for two purposes at the same time; OLM GSE testing and S28 testing.

B10 is back on the OLM and S28 has just been lifted off the suborbital pad and will be headed over to Stage Zero to be re-stacked. It’s kind of crazy how they place the ship on the transporter exactly using guys pulling on ropes.

View attachment 1022919
The transporter and other mounts have alignment cylinders that do the final placement once the crew get it close.
SmartSelect_20240228_162000_Firefox.jpg

B10 is back on the OLM and S28 has just been lifted off the suborbital pad and will be headed over to Stage Zero to be re-stacked. It’s kind of crazy how they place the ship on the transporter exactly using guys pulling on ropes.

View attachment 1022919

Kind of like the guys who do crane rigging... looks impressive when you see two guys with ropes tugging on a 25-ton concrete panel to set it in place, but with the weight suspended like that even moderate tugs laterally for positioning can get the few inches you need for alignment... in many cases it's slight rotation which really isn't shifting any weight...

(bonus points for that NSF pic caption, lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Here's Marcus House's weekly summary, and it's a good one, with half being devoted to Starship. One little tidbit is that they've added static dischargers on the trailing edge of all four flaps. He also clarifies something I was confused about, which is that S28 is the first Starship to have electrically-gimballed engines. The last flight used them only on the booster.

Edit: I wonder if hydraulic fluid was part of the leak that led to the fire - just like the booster problems on the first flight.

Last edited: