Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX plans ocean platform landing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like it landed but fell over because it still had horizontal velocity (looks like it was still adjusting the position right up to the last second of landing). The wind probably had a lot to do with it.

Unless the barge has a gyroscopic deck (similar to a gun turret on a battleship) it's going to be very tricky to get a successful landing.

Unless the barge has a gyroscopic deck (similar to a gun turret on a battleship) it's going to be very tricky to get a successful landing.

I'm not a rocket scientist but I think they need to program it to reach 0 velocity about 10 feet above the drone ship to correct for horizontal motion. It needs to pause there and stabilize itself before dropping the 10 feet onto the ship. My experience comes from playing lots of lunar lander when I was young.

In this latest picture and the previous near miss you can see the booster coming in at a sharp angle maneuvering to reach its targeted destination. The thing we don't know is whether there is any fuel left at all. If there is some then it could be used to stop the horizontal motion.

Interesting that the booster has burn marks in the picture. The ocean seems pretty smooth too.

Last edited:
Video from chase plane coming soon according to Musk on Twitter. Posted a sweet picture.

CCmA1JoUMAAijtC.jpg