Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

SpaceX plans ocean platform landing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my guess is, the first booster that they are able to land successfully, they'll probably want to tear it down to see how much wear and tear everything experienced during a launch, and decide if they need to strengthen any components to withstand multiple launches. With this booster, it landed on the drone ship and fell over. So, maybe they still have some wreckage that will provide useful data? As long as SpaceX is learning and moving forward I'm OK with them not having achieved total success yet.

Hmm... well it actually seems nearly zero out the vertical by the time it reaches the barge, so that may be by design to minimize fuel consumption.

I agree. The programming seems to be focused on using as little fuel as possible. Under those circumstances it seems to be trying to bring a lot of variables together right at the moment of landing. If there was any extra fuel then use a little more to bring more variables in synch prior to the last moment would make the whole thing a lot easier.

The rocket seems pretty stable at the beginning of the video (500 feet?) then loses stability by overcorrecting at the last second. We've seen in the grasshopper divert that it can correct lateral motion but that happened at 100 feet or more above the landing pad.

We can only see from the one angle. I'll admit it is possible that there was a lot of lateral motion that isn't seen which forced the last moment correction.

You doubted?

Yes... I mean I always hoped they knew what they are doing. But it is impactful when then almost do it and it will be really impactful when they really do it.

I really hope Tesla knows what they are doing building the Gigafactory, but I will really a lot better when they build cells that go into cars that get sold. Hope turning into reality is impactful :)

As another poster, Grendal, noted earlier they should aim for zero velocity at say 25 ft above ground and then inch it down. Sure takes more fuel.

Alternatively is there a possibility of grabbing the thing using some contraption at the last second, to neutralize the tipping problem ?

Yes... I mean I always hoped they knew what they are doing. But it is impactful when then almost do it and it will be really impactful when they really do it.

I really hope Tesla knows what they are doing building the Gigafactory, but I will really a lot better when they build cells that go into cars that get sold. Hope turning into reality is impactful :)

Fair enough. That's quite reasonable.

I am just so grateful to these people that are pushing the boundaries and showing us all that the impossible can be turned into possible, with a lot of determination and hard work.

Go Space X!:love:

According to some studies, human babies need to go through 2368 steps, with falls averaging 17 falls/hour, to learn to stand up and walk. Space X seems to be doing much better than that.

Last edited:
I am just so grateful to these people that are pushing the boundaries and showing us all that the impossible can be turned into possible, with a lot of determination and hard work.

Go Space X!

According to some studies, human babies need to go through 2368 steps, with falls averaging 17 falls/hour, to learn to stand up and walk. Space X seems to be doing much better than that.

Elon twitted that they think the control problem was related to "valve stiction" This caused the crazy rocket angles due to control lag. Sez easy problem to fix