Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX plans ocean platform landing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Refuel on the landing platform and then fly back for a base landing. That is the answer to a question that had been bugging me. I hadn't considered that solution, so I'm obviously not thinking far enough out of the box. The adventure continues.

I'm really surprised that flying back could be better than just steaming back to port on the barge and then trucking it. Seems to add a lot of risk.

I'm really surprised that flying back could be better than just steaming back to port on the barge and then trucking it. Seems to add a lot of risk.

Maybe there's less risk of damage to have the vehicle fly back right away, then if it rides back and encounters a storm or two during it's voyage. Also since they more and likely don't have to use all the rocket motors the cycles can be spread around.

A render of the landing from someone on reddit. Render of F9 on the barge : spacex

8t9-tSwCZBGE.png

X MARKS THE SPOT: FALCON 9 ATTEMPTS OCEAN PLATFORM LANDING
"At 14 stories tall and traveling upwards of 1300 m/s (nearly 1 mi/s), stabilizing the Falcon 9 first stage for reentry is like trying to balance a rubber broomstick on your hand in the middle of a wind storm. ". Can't wait for this attempt!

http://www.spacex.com/news/2014/12/16/x-marks-spot-falcon-9-attempts-ocean-platform-landing

I will just be happy with them hitting their target, no matter what the final condition of the rocket is. Because taking something from sub-orbit down to an almost pin-point accuracy is crazy! That within 10m is very telling. So I will be happy with even a near miss of the platform simply because this is their first attempt to get this close to a specific target. If they stick this landing it will be nutts!

The Grasshopper test videos give me chills. If SpaceX manages this, it'll be like seeing all those rocket landings I read in sci-fi books as a kid come to life (e.g. Heinlein's The Rolling Stones and Space Cadet). Tears will probably be shed.

Once SpaceX pulls this off, the economics of space flight are forever changed. And it's only a question of "when", not "if". They will make it work: if not this week then sometime next year.

I'm old enough to have watched the first Apollo moon landing live, and appreciated its significance: this will be just as exciting and as significant because the era of primitive throwaway rockets will be over.

Once SpaceX pulls this off, the economics of space flight are forever changed. And it's only a question of "when", not "if". They will make it work: if not this week then sometime next year.

I'm old enough to have watched the first Apollo moon landing live, and appreciated its significance: this will be just as exciting and as significant because the era of primitive throwaway rockets will be over.

+1 You got it.

Pushed out to Jan 6th at the earliest based on static fire test from the 16th. More details here: SpaceX</title>

A launch on Jan. 6 will result in a rendezvous and grapple of Dragon on Thursday, Jan. 8, at approximately 6 a.m. NASA TV coverage will begin at 4:30 a.m. Installation coverage will begin at 9 a.m.

So does the attempted "barge target" landing occur before the payload reaches ISS? How long for the up and down of the part that tries to land on the barge?