Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spacer questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am thinking about getting spacers on my car as I am lowering with UP mild springs. I have read some negatives on spacers such as how it can be bad losing thread, and that it can be bad for the axles, voiding warranty, etc. I wanted to see how everyone's are holding up, if there was a loss in range, etc? I am looking at the Bloxsports 15mm front and 20mm in the back on my 18" aeros. Also, I have the cap cover set as I removed the original OEM plastic caps off of the wheels, so I wanted to see too if those Tesla black lug caps will fit onto the lug nuts? Is there anything else I am missing and anything that I should be worried about? I will be having a shop install them with the mild springs. Lastly, why folks are doing 15mm in the front and 20mm in the back? Does staggering effect anything? Would it be better to do 15mm all around?

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Lastly, why folks are doing 15mm in the front and 20mm in the back? Does staggering effect anything? Would it be better to do 15mm all around?

Mainly looks, the rear has tons of room and can fit wider tires than the front.

The main problem with spacers is that your shifting the point where the wheel meets the axle further outward compared to stock. This puts a larger twisting/bending moment on the studs and wheel bearings, which can cause early failure. The smaller the spacer, the less risk of this happening though. 15-20mm is a pretty decent sized spacer and could definitely cause some problems.

Actually, i just found this and i'm going to stop typing now :D take a watch:

• Informative
Thanks for the video. Yeah, the thing is I’ve read all sorts of different opinions that people have re: spacers. Those against them pose the issues above. Those that are in favor mention how Porsche has cars that come stock with spacers. After doing quite a bit of research, I’ve come to the conclusion that if the spacers are hub-centric, you should be just fine. Yes, there might be bearing issues in the long run, but who knows how “long” that will be. My guess is that I won’t own the car that far out in the future.

• Informative